For Immediate Release
Bend the Arc Releases New Ad Targeting Matt Gaetz
Ad released as Florida Jews call out Rep. Gaetz’s antisemitic conspiracy theories and white nationalist rhetoric.
WASHINGTON - Bend the Arc: Jewish Action released a new ad on Tuesday targeting Rep. Matt Gaetz, as a petition by Florida Jews calling out Gaetz’s history of promoting antisemitic conspiracy theories and white nationalist rhetoric continues to gain steam.
The humorous ad, which is titled “Getting to Know Matt Gaetz” and will target swing voters in Gaetz’s district on digital platforms, educates voters about Gaetz’s history of promoting white nationalism and antisemitism. The facts about Gaetz are so outrageous, the actors in the ad can’t get through it with a straight face:
- In January 2018, Gaetz invited a Holocaust denier to Trump’s State of the Union address.
- In October 2018, Gaetz posted a viral video on Twitter promoting an antisemitic conspiracy theory about Jews bringing immigrants into the United States. Just 10 days later, that same conspiracy theory inspired the Tree of Life shooter to commit the deadliest massacre of Jewish people in U.S. history.
- In April 2019, Gaetz hired Darren Beattie as a congressional staffer, after Beattie was fired by the White House for his ties to white nationalists.
- In 2020, Gaetz endorsed two congressional candidates – Marjorie Taylor Greene and Laura Loomer – who promote antisemitic conspiracy theories and believe Muslim people shouldn’t be allowed to hold public office.
SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT
Never Miss a Beat.
Get our best delivered to your inbox.
Meanwhile, a petition being circulated by Florida Jews calling out Gaetz’s history of using antisemitism to fuel hatred and division in order to increase his own power and wealth has gained over 1,000 signatures. The petition calls on Gaetz to:
- Revoke his endorsement of Marjorie Taylor-Greene and Laura Loomer and condemn them for their racist, antisemitic, and anti-Muslim rhetoric and policies.
- Cease spreading antisemitic conspiracy theories that put Jewish Americans in danger and have led to violence against our communities.
- Apologize for hiring Darren Beattie, Gaetz’ former staffer who has ties to white nationalists, and condemn his positions.
"When politicians like Rep. Matt Gaetz put Florida Jews and our neighbors in danger, it is our responsibility to rise up and take action,” said Karyn Frank, a leader with Bend the Arc: Jewish Action Florida. “We won't tolerate Gaetz, or anyone, using antisemitism to generate fear and expand their own wealth and power."
“Floridians deserve a congressman who doesn’t spread messages from white supremacists or hang out with white nationalists,” said Stosh Cotler, CEO of Bend the Arc: Jewish Action. “Jewish Americans in Florida and across the nation are rising up to build a country that is truly for all of us, and that includes holding people like Matt Gaetz accountable for using antisemitism and bigotry to fuel division and hatred.”
This is the world we live in. This is the world we cover.
Because of people like you, another world is possible. There are many battles to be won, but we will battle them together—all of us. Common Dreams is not your normal news site. We don't survive on clicks. We don't want advertising dollars. We want the world to be a better place. But we can't do it alone. It doesn't work that way. We need you. If you can help today—because every gift of every size matters—please do. Without Your Support We Simply Don't Exist.
Please select a donation method: