For Immediate Release
TJ Helmstetter, firstname.lastname@example.org
Reaction To Final Passage Of GOP Tax Scam: Americans Wont Forget
This is NOT the "Best Christmas Present of All"; It's a Disgrace.
WASHINGTON - Upon final House passage of the GOP Tax Bill, Frank Clemente, executive director of Americans for Tax Fairness, issued the following statement:
- 83% of the tax cuts will go to the richest 1% by 2027.
- Raises taxes on 92 million middle-class families by 2027.
- Increases the deficit by at least $1.5 trillion, which will jeopardize Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, education, and other critical services.
- Additional facts and sources here: https://americansfortaxfairness.org/13-terrible-things-gops-tax-cuts-jobs-act/
- A broad coalition of progressive groups generated over 920,000 tracked phone calls to Congress in opposition to the GOP Tax Scam.
- Many of these same groups helped coordinate and track nearly 800 grassroots events since October in House districts and target Senate states across the country in protest of the GOP Tax Scam.
- This bill is historically unpopular, and according to a CNN poll released today (December 19, 2017), 55% of Americans disapprove of the plan, a 10 point increase in disapproval since early November. The more Americans learn of the plan, the more unpopular it becomes.
This is the world we live in. This is the world we cover.
Because of people like you, another world is possible. There are many battles to be won, but we will battle them together—all of us. Common Dreams is not your normal news site. We don't survive on clicks. We don't want advertising dollars. We want the world to be a better place. But we can't do it alone. It doesn't work that way. We need you. If you can help today—because every gift of every size matters—please do.
Americans for Tax Fairness (ATF) is a diverse campaign of more than 425 national, state and local endorsing organizations united in support of a fair tax system that works for all Americans. It has come together based on the belief that the country needs comprehensive, progressive tax reform that results in greater revenue to meet our growing needs. This requires big corporations and the wealthy to pay their fair share in taxes, not to live by their own set of rules.