
"Closing the door on fossil fuel extraction is a huge victory, made possible by relentless opposition from citizens to both shale gas and conventional oil and gas exploitation," said Patrick Bonin of Greenpeace Canada. (Photo: Shutterstock)
'Who's Next?': Quebec Declares End to Fossil Fuel Extraction in Province
"In Canada and around the world, the pressure to end the expansion of oil and gas production will only continue to grow."
Climate campaigners are welcoming Quebec Premier Francois Legault's Tuesday announcement that his government has decided to put an end to any further fossil fuel extraction in the province.
"This is the climate leadership we need."
"This is excellent news," said Patrick Bonin, climate and energy campaigner at Greenpeace Canada, in a statement.
Legault's announcement--that the government "decided to definitively renounce the extraction of hydrocarbons on its territory"--came during the conservative's speech to a new parliamentary session in which he covered a range of topics from the healthcare system to "national cohesion" to a Covid-19 recovery plan.
Calling the development "a wise decision," Bonin added that the government "should not compensate oil and gas companies, which are largely responsible for the current climate crisis."
"Closing the door on fossil fuel extraction is a huge victory, made possible by relentless opposition from citizens to both shale gas and conventional oil and gas exploitation," he added. "In Canada and around the world, the pressure to end the expansion of oil and gas production will only continue to grow."
\u201cThis is HUGE. Round of applause in the Quebec National Assembly as the province makes history by declaring the end of fossil fuel extraction on its territory. \ud83d\udc4f\ud83c\udffd\ud83d\udc4f\ud83c\udffd\u201d— Catherine Abreu - same handle everywhere! (@Catherine Abreu - same handle everywhere!) 1634673234
Alice-Anne Simard, director general of Nature Quebec, similarly said in a statement that the announcement was "thanks to the millions of people and hundreds of groups who mobilized for decades against oil and gas drilling."
"We will now work," she added, "to ensure that this intention leads to the passage of strong legislation by the end of the parliamentary session."
\u201cMASSIVE! After decades of organizing, over 500,000 people in the streets, the #Quebec Govt has announced it will end the extraction of oil & gas in the province.\n\nThis is the #climate leadership we need. Who\u2019s next?\n\n#ActOnClimate #ClimateAction #cop26 \n\nhttps://t.co/xFZ7ns6lur\u201d— Mike Hudema (@Mike Hudema) 1634703026
It's also noteworthy, said Charles Bonhomme, a spokesperson for the David Suzuki Foundation, that the move would "benefit the citizens of Quebec and the whole world."
Bonhomme also expressed hope other Canadian provinces would follow suit and could ignite change at the United Nations climate summit beginning at the end of the month.
"Canada and the other countries present at COP 26 should be inspired by the audacity of Quebec," he said, "and announce measures as ambitious as this one."
The province's recent moves to reject the fossil fuel industry have already prompted legal action.
According to reporting by The Globe and Mail last month, one suit was filed in August by Utica Resources, which is seeking "an unspecified amount" for lost profits. The company, according to the paper, "alleges the government acted illegally and with political motives in refusing the company's application for an exploratory drilling license on the Galt project near the town of Gaspe."
That "legal salvo," The Globe and Mail added, "underscores that governments around the world planning to leave their fossil-fuel resources in the ground risk battles with stakeholders as they pursue such policy shifts."
An Urgent Message From Our Co-Founder
Dear Common Dreams reader, The U.S. is on a fast track to authoritarianism like nothing I've ever seen. Meanwhile, corporate news outlets are utterly capitulating to Trump, twisting their coverage to avoid drawing his ire while lining up to stuff cash in his pockets. That's why I believe that Common Dreams is doing the best and most consequential reporting that we've ever done. Our small but mighty team is a progressive reporting powerhouse, covering the news every day that the corporate media never will. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. And to ignite change for the common good. Now here's the key piece that I want all our readers to understand: None of this would be possible without your financial support. That's not just some fundraising cliche. It's the absolute and literal truth. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. The final deadline for our crucial Summer Campaign fundraising drive is just days away, and we’re falling short of our must-hit goal. Will you donate now to help power the nonprofit, independent reporting of Common Dreams? Thank you for being a vital member of our community. Together, we can keep independent journalism alive when it’s needed most. - Craig Brown, Co-founder |
Climate campaigners are welcoming Quebec Premier Francois Legault's Tuesday announcement that his government has decided to put an end to any further fossil fuel extraction in the province.
"This is the climate leadership we need."
"This is excellent news," said Patrick Bonin, climate and energy campaigner at Greenpeace Canada, in a statement.
Legault's announcement--that the government "decided to definitively renounce the extraction of hydrocarbons on its territory"--came during the conservative's speech to a new parliamentary session in which he covered a range of topics from the healthcare system to "national cohesion" to a Covid-19 recovery plan.
Calling the development "a wise decision," Bonin added that the government "should not compensate oil and gas companies, which are largely responsible for the current climate crisis."
"Closing the door on fossil fuel extraction is a huge victory, made possible by relentless opposition from citizens to both shale gas and conventional oil and gas exploitation," he added. "In Canada and around the world, the pressure to end the expansion of oil and gas production will only continue to grow."
\u201cThis is HUGE. Round of applause in the Quebec National Assembly as the province makes history by declaring the end of fossil fuel extraction on its territory. \ud83d\udc4f\ud83c\udffd\ud83d\udc4f\ud83c\udffd\u201d— Catherine Abreu - same handle everywhere! (@Catherine Abreu - same handle everywhere!) 1634673234
Alice-Anne Simard, director general of Nature Quebec, similarly said in a statement that the announcement was "thanks to the millions of people and hundreds of groups who mobilized for decades against oil and gas drilling."
"We will now work," she added, "to ensure that this intention leads to the passage of strong legislation by the end of the parliamentary session."
\u201cMASSIVE! After decades of organizing, over 500,000 people in the streets, the #Quebec Govt has announced it will end the extraction of oil & gas in the province.\n\nThis is the #climate leadership we need. Who\u2019s next?\n\n#ActOnClimate #ClimateAction #cop26 \n\nhttps://t.co/xFZ7ns6lur\u201d— Mike Hudema (@Mike Hudema) 1634703026
It's also noteworthy, said Charles Bonhomme, a spokesperson for the David Suzuki Foundation, that the move would "benefit the citizens of Quebec and the whole world."
Bonhomme also expressed hope other Canadian provinces would follow suit and could ignite change at the United Nations climate summit beginning at the end of the month.
"Canada and the other countries present at COP 26 should be inspired by the audacity of Quebec," he said, "and announce measures as ambitious as this one."
The province's recent moves to reject the fossil fuel industry have already prompted legal action.
According to reporting by The Globe and Mail last month, one suit was filed in August by Utica Resources, which is seeking "an unspecified amount" for lost profits. The company, according to the paper, "alleges the government acted illegally and with political motives in refusing the company's application for an exploratory drilling license on the Galt project near the town of Gaspe."
That "legal salvo," The Globe and Mail added, "underscores that governments around the world planning to leave their fossil-fuel resources in the ground risk battles with stakeholders as they pursue such policy shifts."
Climate campaigners are welcoming Quebec Premier Francois Legault's Tuesday announcement that his government has decided to put an end to any further fossil fuel extraction in the province.
"This is the climate leadership we need."
"This is excellent news," said Patrick Bonin, climate and energy campaigner at Greenpeace Canada, in a statement.
Legault's announcement--that the government "decided to definitively renounce the extraction of hydrocarbons on its territory"--came during the conservative's speech to a new parliamentary session in which he covered a range of topics from the healthcare system to "national cohesion" to a Covid-19 recovery plan.
Calling the development "a wise decision," Bonin added that the government "should not compensate oil and gas companies, which are largely responsible for the current climate crisis."
"Closing the door on fossil fuel extraction is a huge victory, made possible by relentless opposition from citizens to both shale gas and conventional oil and gas exploitation," he added. "In Canada and around the world, the pressure to end the expansion of oil and gas production will only continue to grow."
\u201cThis is HUGE. Round of applause in the Quebec National Assembly as the province makes history by declaring the end of fossil fuel extraction on its territory. \ud83d\udc4f\ud83c\udffd\ud83d\udc4f\ud83c\udffd\u201d— Catherine Abreu - same handle everywhere! (@Catherine Abreu - same handle everywhere!) 1634673234
Alice-Anne Simard, director general of Nature Quebec, similarly said in a statement that the announcement was "thanks to the millions of people and hundreds of groups who mobilized for decades against oil and gas drilling."
"We will now work," she added, "to ensure that this intention leads to the passage of strong legislation by the end of the parliamentary session."
\u201cMASSIVE! After decades of organizing, over 500,000 people in the streets, the #Quebec Govt has announced it will end the extraction of oil & gas in the province.\n\nThis is the #climate leadership we need. Who\u2019s next?\n\n#ActOnClimate #ClimateAction #cop26 \n\nhttps://t.co/xFZ7ns6lur\u201d— Mike Hudema (@Mike Hudema) 1634703026
It's also noteworthy, said Charles Bonhomme, a spokesperson for the David Suzuki Foundation, that the move would "benefit the citizens of Quebec and the whole world."
Bonhomme also expressed hope other Canadian provinces would follow suit and could ignite change at the United Nations climate summit beginning at the end of the month.
"Canada and the other countries present at COP 26 should be inspired by the audacity of Quebec," he said, "and announce measures as ambitious as this one."
The province's recent moves to reject the fossil fuel industry have already prompted legal action.
According to reporting by The Globe and Mail last month, one suit was filed in August by Utica Resources, which is seeking "an unspecified amount" for lost profits. The company, according to the paper, "alleges the government acted illegally and with political motives in refusing the company's application for an exploratory drilling license on the Galt project near the town of Gaspe."
That "legal salvo," The Globe and Mail added, "underscores that governments around the world planning to leave their fossil-fuel resources in the ground risk battles with stakeholders as they pursue such policy shifts."