

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.

A woman casts her ballot in a presidential primary election at the Hamilton High School in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, on April 7, 2020. (Photo: Kamil Krzaczynski/AFP via Getty Images)
Civil rights groups are vowing to fight back against what they are calling a nationwide voter intimidation and suppression campaign by the national Republican Party and President Donald Trump that could have a "chilling effect" on voting rights and November turnout.
The New York Times reported Monday that the Republican National Committee, President Donald Trump's 2020 reelection campaign, and right-wing advocacy groups are "mounting an aggressive national effort to shape who gets to vote in November--and whose ballots are counted."
"In the midst of a national health crisis like the Covid-19 pandemic, Americans of every political party should be working to make voting as safe and fair as possible. Regrettably that is not the course taken by the Republican Party."
-- Karen Hobert Flynn, Common Cause"The Republican program, which has gained steam in recent weeks, envisions recruiting up to 50,000 volunteers in 15 key states to monitor polling places and challenge ballots and voters deemed suspicious," according to the Times. "That is part of a $20 million plan that also allots millions to challenge lawsuits by Democrats and voting-rights advocates seeking to loosen state restrictions on balloting."
Earlier this month, Politico reported that "more than two dozen Republican operatives" are coordinating with state and local GOP officials to fight efforts to expand vote-by-mail, which advocates say is necessary to safely conduct the November elections amid the coronavirus pandemic. Trump has opposed vote-by-mail, saying in March that "you'd never have a Republican elected in this country again" if mail-in voting is expanded.
In a joint statement Monday evening, advocacy groups Common Cause and the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law said they plan to do everything in their power to stop the GOP's massive "vote suppression push" disguised as an effort to combat the mythical scourge of voter fraud.
"These efforts hearken back to so-called 'ballot security' programs that were found unlawful and led to court-ordered injunctions prohibiting their implementation," said Kristen Clarke, president and executive director of the Lawyers' Committee. "We will use every tool in our arsenal to block efforts aimed at discouraging participation by eligible voters this election season."
In January 2018, a federal district court judge lifted a decades-old consent decree barring the national Republican Party from engaging in "ballot security" efforts like without court approval.
As The Atlantic's Vann R. Newkirk II wrote at the time, the consent decree was born out of a DNC lawsuit accusing the RNC of deploying "off-duty cops to patrol majority-minority precincts, wearing 'National Ballot Security Task Force' armbands."
Karen Hobert Flynn, president of Common Cause, said in a statement that her group and other activists "intend to fight every effort to suppress any American's voting rights" now that the RNC is once again free to engage in aggressive voter intimidation campaigns.
"In the midst of a national health crisis like the Covid-19 pandemic, Americans of every political party should be working to make voting as safe and fair as possible," said Flynn. "Regrettably that is not the course taken by the Republican Party which has chosen to try to take advantage of a pandemic for partisan political gain."
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
Civil rights groups are vowing to fight back against what they are calling a nationwide voter intimidation and suppression campaign by the national Republican Party and President Donald Trump that could have a "chilling effect" on voting rights and November turnout.
The New York Times reported Monday that the Republican National Committee, President Donald Trump's 2020 reelection campaign, and right-wing advocacy groups are "mounting an aggressive national effort to shape who gets to vote in November--and whose ballots are counted."
"In the midst of a national health crisis like the Covid-19 pandemic, Americans of every political party should be working to make voting as safe and fair as possible. Regrettably that is not the course taken by the Republican Party."
-- Karen Hobert Flynn, Common Cause"The Republican program, which has gained steam in recent weeks, envisions recruiting up to 50,000 volunteers in 15 key states to monitor polling places and challenge ballots and voters deemed suspicious," according to the Times. "That is part of a $20 million plan that also allots millions to challenge lawsuits by Democrats and voting-rights advocates seeking to loosen state restrictions on balloting."
Earlier this month, Politico reported that "more than two dozen Republican operatives" are coordinating with state and local GOP officials to fight efforts to expand vote-by-mail, which advocates say is necessary to safely conduct the November elections amid the coronavirus pandemic. Trump has opposed vote-by-mail, saying in March that "you'd never have a Republican elected in this country again" if mail-in voting is expanded.
In a joint statement Monday evening, advocacy groups Common Cause and the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law said they plan to do everything in their power to stop the GOP's massive "vote suppression push" disguised as an effort to combat the mythical scourge of voter fraud.
"These efforts hearken back to so-called 'ballot security' programs that were found unlawful and led to court-ordered injunctions prohibiting their implementation," said Kristen Clarke, president and executive director of the Lawyers' Committee. "We will use every tool in our arsenal to block efforts aimed at discouraging participation by eligible voters this election season."
In January 2018, a federal district court judge lifted a decades-old consent decree barring the national Republican Party from engaging in "ballot security" efforts like without court approval.
As The Atlantic's Vann R. Newkirk II wrote at the time, the consent decree was born out of a DNC lawsuit accusing the RNC of deploying "off-duty cops to patrol majority-minority precincts, wearing 'National Ballot Security Task Force' armbands."
Karen Hobert Flynn, president of Common Cause, said in a statement that her group and other activists "intend to fight every effort to suppress any American's voting rights" now that the RNC is once again free to engage in aggressive voter intimidation campaigns.
"In the midst of a national health crisis like the Covid-19 pandemic, Americans of every political party should be working to make voting as safe and fair as possible," said Flynn. "Regrettably that is not the course taken by the Republican Party which has chosen to try to take advantage of a pandemic for partisan political gain."
Civil rights groups are vowing to fight back against what they are calling a nationwide voter intimidation and suppression campaign by the national Republican Party and President Donald Trump that could have a "chilling effect" on voting rights and November turnout.
The New York Times reported Monday that the Republican National Committee, President Donald Trump's 2020 reelection campaign, and right-wing advocacy groups are "mounting an aggressive national effort to shape who gets to vote in November--and whose ballots are counted."
"In the midst of a national health crisis like the Covid-19 pandemic, Americans of every political party should be working to make voting as safe and fair as possible. Regrettably that is not the course taken by the Republican Party."
-- Karen Hobert Flynn, Common Cause"The Republican program, which has gained steam in recent weeks, envisions recruiting up to 50,000 volunteers in 15 key states to monitor polling places and challenge ballots and voters deemed suspicious," according to the Times. "That is part of a $20 million plan that also allots millions to challenge lawsuits by Democrats and voting-rights advocates seeking to loosen state restrictions on balloting."
Earlier this month, Politico reported that "more than two dozen Republican operatives" are coordinating with state and local GOP officials to fight efforts to expand vote-by-mail, which advocates say is necessary to safely conduct the November elections amid the coronavirus pandemic. Trump has opposed vote-by-mail, saying in March that "you'd never have a Republican elected in this country again" if mail-in voting is expanded.
In a joint statement Monday evening, advocacy groups Common Cause and the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law said they plan to do everything in their power to stop the GOP's massive "vote suppression push" disguised as an effort to combat the mythical scourge of voter fraud.
"These efforts hearken back to so-called 'ballot security' programs that were found unlawful and led to court-ordered injunctions prohibiting their implementation," said Kristen Clarke, president and executive director of the Lawyers' Committee. "We will use every tool in our arsenal to block efforts aimed at discouraging participation by eligible voters this election season."
In January 2018, a federal district court judge lifted a decades-old consent decree barring the national Republican Party from engaging in "ballot security" efforts like without court approval.
As The Atlantic's Vann R. Newkirk II wrote at the time, the consent decree was born out of a DNC lawsuit accusing the RNC of deploying "off-duty cops to patrol majority-minority precincts, wearing 'National Ballot Security Task Force' armbands."
Karen Hobert Flynn, president of Common Cause, said in a statement that her group and other activists "intend to fight every effort to suppress any American's voting rights" now that the RNC is once again free to engage in aggressive voter intimidation campaigns.
"In the midst of a national health crisis like the Covid-19 pandemic, Americans of every political party should be working to make voting as safe and fair as possible," said Flynn. "Regrettably that is not the course taken by the Republican Party which has chosen to try to take advantage of a pandemic for partisan political gain."