

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.

U.S. President Donald Trump and Saudi Arabia's Vice Minister of Defense Khalid bin Salman meet Monday in the Oval Office. (Photo: Khalid bin Salman/Twitter)
President Donald Trump came under fire Tuesday from journalists after a meeting at the White House with Saudi Arabia's Vice Minister of Defense Khalid bin Salman on Monday was not disclosed and only discovered after the minister posted pictures from the Oval Office online.
"A meeting with a foreign leader in the Oval Office should, at the very least, be on the public schedule with a read-out of the meeting released after it is over," Jonathan Karl, president of the White House Correspondents Association, said in a statement. "This has been the long-standing precedent for presidents of both political parties."
"It is disturbing to see the government of Saudi Arabia have more transparency than the White House about a meeting with the President in the Oval Office," Karl added.
The details of what was discussed at the meeting remain unclear, though a photo shared on social media by the Saudi minister shows Trump advisor and son-in-law Jared Kushner in attendance.
Trump took to Twitter shortly after the photos were released to say the two discussed "trade, military, oil prices,security, and stability in the Middle East."
The looming U.S. war with Iran, which became more likely last week after Trump's ordered assassination of Iranian military commander Qasem Soleimani, was likely on the minister's mind; Iran and Saudi Arabia have been in a low-level conflict for decades, including a long-running proxy war in Yemen.
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
President Donald Trump came under fire Tuesday from journalists after a meeting at the White House with Saudi Arabia's Vice Minister of Defense Khalid bin Salman on Monday was not disclosed and only discovered after the minister posted pictures from the Oval Office online.
"A meeting with a foreign leader in the Oval Office should, at the very least, be on the public schedule with a read-out of the meeting released after it is over," Jonathan Karl, president of the White House Correspondents Association, said in a statement. "This has been the long-standing precedent for presidents of both political parties."
"It is disturbing to see the government of Saudi Arabia have more transparency than the White House about a meeting with the President in the Oval Office," Karl added.
The details of what was discussed at the meeting remain unclear, though a photo shared on social media by the Saudi minister shows Trump advisor and son-in-law Jared Kushner in attendance.
Trump took to Twitter shortly after the photos were released to say the two discussed "trade, military, oil prices,security, and stability in the Middle East."
The looming U.S. war with Iran, which became more likely last week after Trump's ordered assassination of Iranian military commander Qasem Soleimani, was likely on the minister's mind; Iran and Saudi Arabia have been in a low-level conflict for decades, including a long-running proxy war in Yemen.
President Donald Trump came under fire Tuesday from journalists after a meeting at the White House with Saudi Arabia's Vice Minister of Defense Khalid bin Salman on Monday was not disclosed and only discovered after the minister posted pictures from the Oval Office online.
"A meeting with a foreign leader in the Oval Office should, at the very least, be on the public schedule with a read-out of the meeting released after it is over," Jonathan Karl, president of the White House Correspondents Association, said in a statement. "This has been the long-standing precedent for presidents of both political parties."
"It is disturbing to see the government of Saudi Arabia have more transparency than the White House about a meeting with the President in the Oval Office," Karl added.
The details of what was discussed at the meeting remain unclear, though a photo shared on social media by the Saudi minister shows Trump advisor and son-in-law Jared Kushner in attendance.
Trump took to Twitter shortly after the photos were released to say the two discussed "trade, military, oil prices,security, and stability in the Middle East."
The looming U.S. war with Iran, which became more likely last week after Trump's ordered assassination of Iranian military commander Qasem Soleimani, was likely on the minister's mind; Iran and Saudi Arabia have been in a low-level conflict for decades, including a long-running proxy war in Yemen.