Skip to main content

Sign up for our newsletter.

Quality journalism. Progressive values. Direct to your inbox.

Corporate gatekeepers and big tech monopolists are making it more difficult than ever for independent media to survive. Please chip in today.

U.S. national security adviser John Bolton and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo listen as President Donald Trump speaks before signing a National Security Presidential Memorandum in the Oval Office February 7, 2019 in Washington, D.C. (Photo: Win McNamee/Getty Images)

'If This Is True, They Are Even Bigger Lunatics Than We Realized': UN Officials Reportedly Believe Trump Planning 'Massive' Bombing Campaign in Iran

"There would be no going back from this. There's no such thing as a 'one and done' military strike on Iran."

Jake Johnson

As the Trump administration prepares to deploy 1,000 additional troops to the Middle East in a move critics warned will heighten the possibility of all-out war with Iran, United Nations officials reportedly believe the U.S. is also planning a major "aerial bombardment" of an Iranian nuclear facility.

United Nations officials are "assessing the United States' plans to carry out a tactical assault on Iran," the Jerusalem Post reported Monday, citing anonymous diplomatic sources at the U.N. headquarters in New York.

"According to the officials, since Friday, the White House has been holding incessant discussions involving senior military commanders, Pentagon representatives, and advisers to President Donald Trump," the Post reported. "The military action under consideration would be an aerial bombardment of an Iranian facility linked to its nuclear program."

One "Western diplomat" told the Post that the bombing campaign would be "massive" but "limited to a specific target."

The reported plans come after the Trump administration blamed Iran for attacks on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman last week, citing video and photographic evidence that has been characterized as inconclusive at best and completely false at worst.

While raising concerns about the sourcing of the Post's report, critics raised alarm at the possibility that the Trump administration is planning to bomb Iran, noting that even a single airstrike would likely prompt a devastating military conflict in the Middle East.

"If this is true, they are even bigger lunatics than we realized," Cenk Uygur, host of the online news show "The Young Turks," tweeted late Monday. "If Trump starts a war with Iran, he will have kept none of his promises and created an unimaginable disaster in the Middle East."

Ryan Costello, policy director at the National Iranian American Council (NIAC), noted that the Post's reporting "tracks with what Pentagon officials said is [the] most likely option last month."

Citing an anonymous Pentagon source, Newsweek reported last month that "if anything is likely to happen involving the [Trump administration's] preliminary Iran options, it would involve a heavy guided missile strike campaign in an attempt to lead Tehran to the negotiation table with Washington."

Just before announcing the deployment of 1,000 more troops to the Middle East, the Pentagon on Monday released  a "timeline" and additional photos that it said provide more proof that Iran was behind the tanker attacks last week.

But, as Politico reported, "Nothing in the photos or accompanying documents reveal evidence of the placement of the magnetic mines on the ship."

While the Trump administration has attempted to convince European nations to echo its narrative that Iran was responsible for the attacks, representatives of major European nations—with the exception of the United Kingdom—have expressed skepticism and called for an independent investigation.

"The video is not enough," German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas told reporters after the U.S. military released footage last Thursday purporting to show Iranians removing an unexploded mine from the side of one of the damaged tankers.

"We can understand what is being shown, sure, but to make a final assessment, this is not enough for me," Maas said.


Our work is licensed under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0). Feel free to republish and share widely.

We've had enough. The 1% own and operate the corporate media. They are doing everything they can to defend the status quo, squash dissent and protect the wealthy and the powerful. The Common Dreams media model is different. We cover the news that matters to the 99%. Our mission? To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. How? Nonprofit. Independent. Reader-supported. Free to read. Free to republish. Free to share. With no advertising. No paywalls. No selling of your data. Thousands of small donations fund our newsroom and allow us to continue publishing. Can you chip in? We can't do it without you. Thank you.

'No Time to Waste': New Nationwide March For Our Lives Protests Set for June 11

"Together, we rose up four years ago. One million of us demanded change. We built a movement. We voted for new leaders. And the gun deaths increased. Now is the moment we march again."

Brett Wilkins ·


'We Need Fewer Guns in Schools, Not More': Teachers Reject GOP Call for Armed Educators

"Teachers should be teaching, not acting as armed security guards," the president of a leading teachers' union asserted in the wake of the Robb Elementary School massacre in Texas.

Brett Wilkins ·


Faith Leaders, Teachers Mobilize for Protests at NRA's Houston Meeting in Wake of Uvalde Massacre

"Don't look away," said one advocacy group. "Rally against the NRA."

Julia Conley ·


NY Appeals Court Rules Trump and Two of His Kids Must Testify in Financial Fraud Case

"Our investigation will continue undeterred because no one is above the law," said New York Attorney General Letitia James.

Kenny Stancil ·


After Racist Massacre in Buffalo, Senate GOP Blocks Domestic Terrorism Bill

"There are a lot of MAGA Republicans for whom no amount of gun violence... will ever, ever convince them to take any action," said Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer.

Jake Johnson ·

Common Dreams Logo