
North Korean foreign minister Ri Yong-ho said Monday that Trump's threats amount to a declaration of war against the isolated country, and that North Korea is prepared to defend itself. (Photo: @chavezglen1755/Twitter)
Trump's Threats Seen As Declaration of War by North Korea
As Americans hope for diplomatic talks, Trump's rhetoric leads North Korea to warn it's prepared to defend itself
President Donald Trump's increasingly aggressive rhetoric on Kim Jong-un's nuclear program has been perceived as a declaration of war by North Korea's foreign minister, who said Monday that the country is prepared to defend itself if Trump follows through with what appeared to be threats of a regime change via his Twitter account over the weekend.
"The whole world should clearly remember it was the U.S. who first declared war on our country," said Ri Yong-ho on Monday.
After Ri spoke at the United Nations on Saturday, Trump tweeted his latest threat regarding North Korea:
\u201cJust heard Foreign Minister of North Korea speak at U.N. If he echoes thoughts of Little Rocket Man, they won't be around much longer!\u201d— Donald J. Trump (@Donald J. Trump) 1506222487
The tweet matched the tone of Trump's own U.N. address, made last Tuesday, in which he said the U.S. "will have no choice but to totally destroy North Korea" if it "is forced to defend itself or its allies." It also followed a statement Trump made in August, apparently without any discussion with his cabinet members, that North Korea would face "fire and fury" if it continued testing its nuclear capability.
"Since the United States declared war on our country, we will have every right to make countermeasures, including the right to shoot down United States strategic bombers even when they are not inside the airspace border of our country," Ri said on Monday, adding, "the question of who won't be around much longer will be answered then."
North Korea conducted its sixth nuclear test earlier this month, its largest yet. It has also claimed to test both short-range and intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM) more than a dozen times this year, firing two over Japan in the past month. Ignoring calls for diplomacy made by numerous peace organizations, Trump and Nikki Haley, U.S. ambassador to the U.N., have dismissed the possibility of holding peaceful negotiations with North Korea in order to de-escalate tensions and work with the Kim regime to manage its nuclear development, as the Obama administration did with Iran in 2015.
Meanwhile, Defense Secretary James Mattis insisted after Trump's combative speech at the U.N. that Washington's approach to North Korea "is still a diplomatically-led effort," echoing his remark last month that, "we are never out of diplomatic solutions." Secretary of State Rex Tillerson also made an attempt at damage control after Trump's speech, telling ABC, "Our diplomatic efforts continue unabated."
The administration's diplomatic response has mostly centered on slapping the isolated country with sanctions; Trump introduced the latest round last Thursday.
According to a survey taken last week by Public Policy Polling, 90 percent of Democrats and 80 percent of Republicans favor direct talks with North Korea before taking military action.
An Urgent Message From Our Co-Founder
Dear Common Dreams reader, The U.S. is on a fast track to authoritarianism like nothing I've ever seen. Meanwhile, corporate news outlets are utterly capitulating to Trump, twisting their coverage to avoid drawing his ire while lining up to stuff cash in his pockets. That's why I believe that Common Dreams is doing the best and most consequential reporting that we've ever done. Our small but mighty team is a progressive reporting powerhouse, covering the news every day that the corporate media never will. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. And to ignite change for the common good. Now here's the key piece that I want all our readers to understand: None of this would be possible without your financial support. That's not just some fundraising cliche. It's the absolute and literal truth. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. The final deadline for our crucial Summer Campaign fundraising drive is just days away, and we’re falling short of our must-hit goal. Will you donate now to help power the nonprofit, independent reporting of Common Dreams? Thank you for being a vital member of our community. Together, we can keep independent journalism alive when it’s needed most. - Craig Brown, Co-founder |
President Donald Trump's increasingly aggressive rhetoric on Kim Jong-un's nuclear program has been perceived as a declaration of war by North Korea's foreign minister, who said Monday that the country is prepared to defend itself if Trump follows through with what appeared to be threats of a regime change via his Twitter account over the weekend.
"The whole world should clearly remember it was the U.S. who first declared war on our country," said Ri Yong-ho on Monday.
After Ri spoke at the United Nations on Saturday, Trump tweeted his latest threat regarding North Korea:
\u201cJust heard Foreign Minister of North Korea speak at U.N. If he echoes thoughts of Little Rocket Man, they won't be around much longer!\u201d— Donald J. Trump (@Donald J. Trump) 1506222487
The tweet matched the tone of Trump's own U.N. address, made last Tuesday, in which he said the U.S. "will have no choice but to totally destroy North Korea" if it "is forced to defend itself or its allies." It also followed a statement Trump made in August, apparently without any discussion with his cabinet members, that North Korea would face "fire and fury" if it continued testing its nuclear capability.
"Since the United States declared war on our country, we will have every right to make countermeasures, including the right to shoot down United States strategic bombers even when they are not inside the airspace border of our country," Ri said on Monday, adding, "the question of who won't be around much longer will be answered then."
North Korea conducted its sixth nuclear test earlier this month, its largest yet. It has also claimed to test both short-range and intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM) more than a dozen times this year, firing two over Japan in the past month. Ignoring calls for diplomacy made by numerous peace organizations, Trump and Nikki Haley, U.S. ambassador to the U.N., have dismissed the possibility of holding peaceful negotiations with North Korea in order to de-escalate tensions and work with the Kim regime to manage its nuclear development, as the Obama administration did with Iran in 2015.
Meanwhile, Defense Secretary James Mattis insisted after Trump's combative speech at the U.N. that Washington's approach to North Korea "is still a diplomatically-led effort," echoing his remark last month that, "we are never out of diplomatic solutions." Secretary of State Rex Tillerson also made an attempt at damage control after Trump's speech, telling ABC, "Our diplomatic efforts continue unabated."
The administration's diplomatic response has mostly centered on slapping the isolated country with sanctions; Trump introduced the latest round last Thursday.
According to a survey taken last week by Public Policy Polling, 90 percent of Democrats and 80 percent of Republicans favor direct talks with North Korea before taking military action.
President Donald Trump's increasingly aggressive rhetoric on Kim Jong-un's nuclear program has been perceived as a declaration of war by North Korea's foreign minister, who said Monday that the country is prepared to defend itself if Trump follows through with what appeared to be threats of a regime change via his Twitter account over the weekend.
"The whole world should clearly remember it was the U.S. who first declared war on our country," said Ri Yong-ho on Monday.
After Ri spoke at the United Nations on Saturday, Trump tweeted his latest threat regarding North Korea:
\u201cJust heard Foreign Minister of North Korea speak at U.N. If he echoes thoughts of Little Rocket Man, they won't be around much longer!\u201d— Donald J. Trump (@Donald J. Trump) 1506222487
The tweet matched the tone of Trump's own U.N. address, made last Tuesday, in which he said the U.S. "will have no choice but to totally destroy North Korea" if it "is forced to defend itself or its allies." It also followed a statement Trump made in August, apparently without any discussion with his cabinet members, that North Korea would face "fire and fury" if it continued testing its nuclear capability.
"Since the United States declared war on our country, we will have every right to make countermeasures, including the right to shoot down United States strategic bombers even when they are not inside the airspace border of our country," Ri said on Monday, adding, "the question of who won't be around much longer will be answered then."
North Korea conducted its sixth nuclear test earlier this month, its largest yet. It has also claimed to test both short-range and intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM) more than a dozen times this year, firing two over Japan in the past month. Ignoring calls for diplomacy made by numerous peace organizations, Trump and Nikki Haley, U.S. ambassador to the U.N., have dismissed the possibility of holding peaceful negotiations with North Korea in order to de-escalate tensions and work with the Kim regime to manage its nuclear development, as the Obama administration did with Iran in 2015.
Meanwhile, Defense Secretary James Mattis insisted after Trump's combative speech at the U.N. that Washington's approach to North Korea "is still a diplomatically-led effort," echoing his remark last month that, "we are never out of diplomatic solutions." Secretary of State Rex Tillerson also made an attempt at damage control after Trump's speech, telling ABC, "Our diplomatic efforts continue unabated."
The administration's diplomatic response has mostly centered on slapping the isolated country with sanctions; Trump introduced the latest round last Thursday.
According to a survey taken last week by Public Policy Polling, 90 percent of Democrats and 80 percent of Republicans favor direct talks with North Korea before taking military action.