
White House press secretary Sean Spicer departs after a briefing at the White House June 20, 2017 in Washington, DC. (Photo: Win McNamee/Getty Images)
Spicey Is Out: White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer Resigns
Scaramucci told reporters that Deputy White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders would be the new press secretary.
White House press secretary Sean Spicer resigned on Friday, the New York Times first reported.
His departure was reportedly in response to President Donald Trump's appointment of Anthony Scaramucci to White House communications director.
Scaramucci is a Wall Street financier and was a campaign fundraiser for Trump. He'd fill the position left vacant by Mike Dubke, who resigned in May. Spicer had been carrying out the responsibilities of communications director since.
Spicer's short,yet "eventful" tenure as press secretary was notable for tense press briefings in which frequently attacked journalists, deviated from the facts, and dodged simple questions.
The Toronto Star's Daniel Dale argues that Spicer "was the perfect face for the Donald Trump administration," as he was "laughably dishonest, relentlessly combative, and impossible to not watch." In his brief role "as the president's chief public propagandist," Dale writes, Spicer also suffered "a long string of Trump-inflicted and self-inflicted humiliations."
The development prompted some Democratic politicians to lament that Melissa McCarthy would not longer be delighting Saturday Night Live views with her impression of Spicer. Still, Esquire's Charles Pierce argues that there will be no real messaging change from the White House. "The president will continue to be an unqualified, undereducated dolt. The policies, such as they are, will continue to be retrograde and cruel," he writes.
Spicer for his part, tweeted Friday afternoon that it "has been an honor and a privilege to serve" Trump, and said he would continue in his role as press secretary through August.
Speaking at the White House press briefing Friday afternoon, Scaramucci told reporters that Deputy White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders would be the new press secretary. He also called Spicer "a true American patriot" who "has done an amazing job," and said he hopes Spicer "goes on to earn a tremendous amount of money."
Urgent. It's never been this bad.
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission from the outset was simple. To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It’s never been this bad out there. And it’s never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed and doing some of its best and most important work, the threats we face are intensifying. Right now, with just two days to go in our Spring Campaign, we're falling short of our make-or-break goal. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Can you make a gift right now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? There is no backup plan or rainy day fund. There is only you. —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
White House press secretary Sean Spicer resigned on Friday, the New York Times first reported.
His departure was reportedly in response to President Donald Trump's appointment of Anthony Scaramucci to White House communications director.
Scaramucci is a Wall Street financier and was a campaign fundraiser for Trump. He'd fill the position left vacant by Mike Dubke, who resigned in May. Spicer had been carrying out the responsibilities of communications director since.
Spicer's short,yet "eventful" tenure as press secretary was notable for tense press briefings in which frequently attacked journalists, deviated from the facts, and dodged simple questions.
The Toronto Star's Daniel Dale argues that Spicer "was the perfect face for the Donald Trump administration," as he was "laughably dishonest, relentlessly combative, and impossible to not watch." In his brief role "as the president's chief public propagandist," Dale writes, Spicer also suffered "a long string of Trump-inflicted and self-inflicted humiliations."
The development prompted some Democratic politicians to lament that Melissa McCarthy would not longer be delighting Saturday Night Live views with her impression of Spicer. Still, Esquire's Charles Pierce argues that there will be no real messaging change from the White House. "The president will continue to be an unqualified, undereducated dolt. The policies, such as they are, will continue to be retrograde and cruel," he writes.
Spicer for his part, tweeted Friday afternoon that it "has been an honor and a privilege to serve" Trump, and said he would continue in his role as press secretary through August.
Speaking at the White House press briefing Friday afternoon, Scaramucci told reporters that Deputy White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders would be the new press secretary. He also called Spicer "a true American patriot" who "has done an amazing job," and said he hopes Spicer "goes on to earn a tremendous amount of money."
White House press secretary Sean Spicer resigned on Friday, the New York Times first reported.
His departure was reportedly in response to President Donald Trump's appointment of Anthony Scaramucci to White House communications director.
Scaramucci is a Wall Street financier and was a campaign fundraiser for Trump. He'd fill the position left vacant by Mike Dubke, who resigned in May. Spicer had been carrying out the responsibilities of communications director since.
Spicer's short,yet "eventful" tenure as press secretary was notable for tense press briefings in which frequently attacked journalists, deviated from the facts, and dodged simple questions.
The Toronto Star's Daniel Dale argues that Spicer "was the perfect face for the Donald Trump administration," as he was "laughably dishonest, relentlessly combative, and impossible to not watch." In his brief role "as the president's chief public propagandist," Dale writes, Spicer also suffered "a long string of Trump-inflicted and self-inflicted humiliations."
The development prompted some Democratic politicians to lament that Melissa McCarthy would not longer be delighting Saturday Night Live views with her impression of Spicer. Still, Esquire's Charles Pierce argues that there will be no real messaging change from the White House. "The president will continue to be an unqualified, undereducated dolt. The policies, such as they are, will continue to be retrograde and cruel," he writes.
Spicer for his part, tweeted Friday afternoon that it "has been an honor and a privilege to serve" Trump, and said he would continue in his role as press secretary through August.
Speaking at the White House press briefing Friday afternoon, Scaramucci told reporters that Deputy White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders would be the new press secretary. He also called Spicer "a true American patriot" who "has done an amazing job," and said he hopes Spicer "goes on to earn a tremendous amount of money."

