
Early estimates had Saturday's crowd in the "many tens of thousands." (Photo: @GreenpeaceUK/Twitter)
Tens of Thousands Join UK Anti-Nuke Demo Billed as Biggest in Generation
'We are not alone,' Jeremy Corbyn tells crowd. 'There are many people around the world...who have wanted a non-nuclear future for their country and their planet.'
In what was called "Britain's biggest anti-nuclear weapons rally in a generation," tens of thousands took to the streets of London on Saturday to protest the UK's nuclear weapons system--Trident--and to call for global disarmament.
According to the Guardian, "Campaigners gathered from across the world: some said they had traveled from Australia to protest against the renewal of Trident. Others had come from the west coast of Scotland where Britain's nuclear deterrent submarines are based."
\u201cWhat a crowd! Thousand still gathered in Trafalgar Sq to say #stoptrident and no to nuclear weapons\u201d— Greenpeace UK (@Greenpeace UK) 1456586207
\u201c"They say warfare, we say welfare" #StopTrident @cnduk\u201d— Unite the Resistance (@Unite the Resistance) 1456581272
Organized by the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND), the demonstration comes ahead of a parliamentary decision on whether or not to replace Trident, the UK's nuclear weapons system, comprised of four submarines carrying up to 40 nuclear warheads apiece. Such an endeavor would cost least PS41bn, UK government officials have said.
"Taken together with government figures for calculating the lifetime cost, it looks like the whole sorry project will cost at least PS183bn," CND general secretary Kate Hudson pointed out in an op-ed published Saturday. "At a time of swingeing government spending cuts this is clearly outrageous."
Indeed, Labour MP David Lammy said in announcing his support of the rally last week: "For me the renewal of Trident is inextricably linked with the lack of resources and austerity we see across the country."
He cited the "closure of care homes, the closure of children's centers, no new services and chronic shortages in housing," before adding, "I could not in all conscience vote for renewal worth PS31 billion or more when this happening."
Other political figures, including longtime anti-war activist and Labour party leader Jeremy Corbyn, also backed the demo. Speaking to the crowd on Saturday, Corbyn said the demonstration was "an expression of many people's public opinion."
"We are not alone," he declared. "There are many people around the world...who have wanted a non-nuclear future for their country and their planet."
Though Corbyn's decision to speak at the rally was controversial, the left-winger said: "I want to be here because of my belief in a nuclear-free future... a world that emphasizes dealing with the crying needs of the poor and homeless in this country, those who are going short and suffering public spending cuts in this country, but also a globe in which we address the grotesque levels of inequality."
\u201c.@JeremyCorbyn tells anti-Trident protesters in Trafalgar Square 'we are not alone' https://t.co/DJQC1SgZpW https://t.co/Vyz988L815\u201d— Sky News (@Sky News) 1456590400
As Rajesh Makwana, executive director of civil society group Share the World's Resources, argued this week, decommissioning Trident would be a "bold and essential step" toward a global goal of "general and complete disarmament."
"Renewing Trident would not only undermine international disarmament efforts for years to come," he wrote, "it will reinforce the hazardous belief that maintaining a functional nuclear arsenal is essential for any nation seeking to wield power on the world stage."
An Urgent Message From Our Co-Founder
Dear Common Dreams reader, The U.S. is on a fast track to authoritarianism like nothing I've ever seen. Meanwhile, corporate news outlets are utterly capitulating to Trump, twisting their coverage to avoid drawing his ire while lining up to stuff cash in his pockets. That's why I believe that Common Dreams is doing the best and most consequential reporting that we've ever done. Our small but mighty team is a progressive reporting powerhouse, covering the news every day that the corporate media never will. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. And to ignite change for the common good. Now here's the key piece that I want all our readers to understand: None of this would be possible without your financial support. That's not just some fundraising cliche. It's the absolute and literal truth. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. The final deadline for our crucial Summer Campaign fundraising drive is just days away, and we’re falling short of our must-hit goal. Will you donate now to help power the nonprofit, independent reporting of Common Dreams? Thank you for being a vital member of our community. Together, we can keep independent journalism alive when it’s needed most. - Craig Brown, Co-founder |
In what was called "Britain's biggest anti-nuclear weapons rally in a generation," tens of thousands took to the streets of London on Saturday to protest the UK's nuclear weapons system--Trident--and to call for global disarmament.
According to the Guardian, "Campaigners gathered from across the world: some said they had traveled from Australia to protest against the renewal of Trident. Others had come from the west coast of Scotland where Britain's nuclear deterrent submarines are based."
\u201cWhat a crowd! Thousand still gathered in Trafalgar Sq to say #stoptrident and no to nuclear weapons\u201d— Greenpeace UK (@Greenpeace UK) 1456586207
\u201c"They say warfare, we say welfare" #StopTrident @cnduk\u201d— Unite the Resistance (@Unite the Resistance) 1456581272
Organized by the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND), the demonstration comes ahead of a parliamentary decision on whether or not to replace Trident, the UK's nuclear weapons system, comprised of four submarines carrying up to 40 nuclear warheads apiece. Such an endeavor would cost least PS41bn, UK government officials have said.
"Taken together with government figures for calculating the lifetime cost, it looks like the whole sorry project will cost at least PS183bn," CND general secretary Kate Hudson pointed out in an op-ed published Saturday. "At a time of swingeing government spending cuts this is clearly outrageous."
Indeed, Labour MP David Lammy said in announcing his support of the rally last week: "For me the renewal of Trident is inextricably linked with the lack of resources and austerity we see across the country."
He cited the "closure of care homes, the closure of children's centers, no new services and chronic shortages in housing," before adding, "I could not in all conscience vote for renewal worth PS31 billion or more when this happening."
Other political figures, including longtime anti-war activist and Labour party leader Jeremy Corbyn, also backed the demo. Speaking to the crowd on Saturday, Corbyn said the demonstration was "an expression of many people's public opinion."
"We are not alone," he declared. "There are many people around the world...who have wanted a non-nuclear future for their country and their planet."
Though Corbyn's decision to speak at the rally was controversial, the left-winger said: "I want to be here because of my belief in a nuclear-free future... a world that emphasizes dealing with the crying needs of the poor and homeless in this country, those who are going short and suffering public spending cuts in this country, but also a globe in which we address the grotesque levels of inequality."
\u201c.@JeremyCorbyn tells anti-Trident protesters in Trafalgar Square 'we are not alone' https://t.co/DJQC1SgZpW https://t.co/Vyz988L815\u201d— Sky News (@Sky News) 1456590400
As Rajesh Makwana, executive director of civil society group Share the World's Resources, argued this week, decommissioning Trident would be a "bold and essential step" toward a global goal of "general and complete disarmament."
"Renewing Trident would not only undermine international disarmament efforts for years to come," he wrote, "it will reinforce the hazardous belief that maintaining a functional nuclear arsenal is essential for any nation seeking to wield power on the world stage."
In what was called "Britain's biggest anti-nuclear weapons rally in a generation," tens of thousands took to the streets of London on Saturday to protest the UK's nuclear weapons system--Trident--and to call for global disarmament.
According to the Guardian, "Campaigners gathered from across the world: some said they had traveled from Australia to protest against the renewal of Trident. Others had come from the west coast of Scotland where Britain's nuclear deterrent submarines are based."
\u201cWhat a crowd! Thousand still gathered in Trafalgar Sq to say #stoptrident and no to nuclear weapons\u201d— Greenpeace UK (@Greenpeace UK) 1456586207
\u201c"They say warfare, we say welfare" #StopTrident @cnduk\u201d— Unite the Resistance (@Unite the Resistance) 1456581272
Organized by the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND), the demonstration comes ahead of a parliamentary decision on whether or not to replace Trident, the UK's nuclear weapons system, comprised of four submarines carrying up to 40 nuclear warheads apiece. Such an endeavor would cost least PS41bn, UK government officials have said.
"Taken together with government figures for calculating the lifetime cost, it looks like the whole sorry project will cost at least PS183bn," CND general secretary Kate Hudson pointed out in an op-ed published Saturday. "At a time of swingeing government spending cuts this is clearly outrageous."
Indeed, Labour MP David Lammy said in announcing his support of the rally last week: "For me the renewal of Trident is inextricably linked with the lack of resources and austerity we see across the country."
He cited the "closure of care homes, the closure of children's centers, no new services and chronic shortages in housing," before adding, "I could not in all conscience vote for renewal worth PS31 billion or more when this happening."
Other political figures, including longtime anti-war activist and Labour party leader Jeremy Corbyn, also backed the demo. Speaking to the crowd on Saturday, Corbyn said the demonstration was "an expression of many people's public opinion."
"We are not alone," he declared. "There are many people around the world...who have wanted a non-nuclear future for their country and their planet."
Though Corbyn's decision to speak at the rally was controversial, the left-winger said: "I want to be here because of my belief in a nuclear-free future... a world that emphasizes dealing with the crying needs of the poor and homeless in this country, those who are going short and suffering public spending cuts in this country, but also a globe in which we address the grotesque levels of inequality."
\u201c.@JeremyCorbyn tells anti-Trident protesters in Trafalgar Square 'we are not alone' https://t.co/DJQC1SgZpW https://t.co/Vyz988L815\u201d— Sky News (@Sky News) 1456590400
As Rajesh Makwana, executive director of civil society group Share the World's Resources, argued this week, decommissioning Trident would be a "bold and essential step" toward a global goal of "general and complete disarmament."
"Renewing Trident would not only undermine international disarmament efforts for years to come," he wrote, "it will reinforce the hazardous belief that maintaining a functional nuclear arsenal is essential for any nation seeking to wield power on the world stage."