

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
In a victory for environmental campaigners fighting to prevent the use of bee-killing pesticides, the agrochemical giant Syngenta on Friday withdrew an emergency application seeking permission to use such chemicals in the UK this planting season.
As the Guardian Damian Carrington reports:
Syngenta's neonicotinoid pesticide was given a two-year ban by the European Union in 2013 due to research linking it to serious harm in bees. Neonicotinoids are the world's most widely used insecticide and in June an international scientific review concluded that contamination was so pervasive it threatened global food production.
Syngenta argued that there was a future pest threat to oil seed crops that justified an emergency exemption and the government's advisory committee on pesticides said the criteria for an exemption had been met, although the evidence of the threat was not made public.
As part of a coalition to uphold a ban on the European use of neonicotinoids, a class of chemicals used in pesticides shown to be extremely harmful to pollinating bees, both Friends of the Earth and Avaaz were among those who reacted to Syngenta's decision with celebration.
"Our under-threat bees can breathe a bit easier," said Andrew Pendleton, a coordinator with Friends of the Earth, in a statement. "We're delighted Syngenta has withdrawn this application. The scientific evidence linking neonicotinoid pesticides to bee decline is stacking up. Ministers are currently finalising their action plan for protecting Britain's bees and it must get tough on all the causes of bee decline, including pesticides."
Emma Hockridge, head of policy at the UK-based Soil Association, called the decision "a victory for pollinators and for science." She continued, "There was no good reason for allowing this derogation and the impact could have been catastrophic."
And Bert Wander, a campaign organizers with Avaaz, said: "It's great news that the huge swarm of protest killed off Syngenta's attempts to try and keep their bee-killing poisons in Britain's fields. We welcome their withdrawal and we hope this is the end of it."
Though Europe has maintained its ban and campaigners continue to press for stronger protections for the world's most effective pollinating species, efforts in the U.S. to ban these pesticides and other toxins have continued to falter despite the growing threat.
_______________________________
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
In a victory for environmental campaigners fighting to prevent the use of bee-killing pesticides, the agrochemical giant Syngenta on Friday withdrew an emergency application seeking permission to use such chemicals in the UK this planting season.
As the Guardian Damian Carrington reports:
Syngenta's neonicotinoid pesticide was given a two-year ban by the European Union in 2013 due to research linking it to serious harm in bees. Neonicotinoids are the world's most widely used insecticide and in June an international scientific review concluded that contamination was so pervasive it threatened global food production.
Syngenta argued that there was a future pest threat to oil seed crops that justified an emergency exemption and the government's advisory committee on pesticides said the criteria for an exemption had been met, although the evidence of the threat was not made public.
As part of a coalition to uphold a ban on the European use of neonicotinoids, a class of chemicals used in pesticides shown to be extremely harmful to pollinating bees, both Friends of the Earth and Avaaz were among those who reacted to Syngenta's decision with celebration.
"Our under-threat bees can breathe a bit easier," said Andrew Pendleton, a coordinator with Friends of the Earth, in a statement. "We're delighted Syngenta has withdrawn this application. The scientific evidence linking neonicotinoid pesticides to bee decline is stacking up. Ministers are currently finalising their action plan for protecting Britain's bees and it must get tough on all the causes of bee decline, including pesticides."
Emma Hockridge, head of policy at the UK-based Soil Association, called the decision "a victory for pollinators and for science." She continued, "There was no good reason for allowing this derogation and the impact could have been catastrophic."
And Bert Wander, a campaign organizers with Avaaz, said: "It's great news that the huge swarm of protest killed off Syngenta's attempts to try and keep their bee-killing poisons in Britain's fields. We welcome their withdrawal and we hope this is the end of it."
Though Europe has maintained its ban and campaigners continue to press for stronger protections for the world's most effective pollinating species, efforts in the U.S. to ban these pesticides and other toxins have continued to falter despite the growing threat.
_______________________________
In a victory for environmental campaigners fighting to prevent the use of bee-killing pesticides, the agrochemical giant Syngenta on Friday withdrew an emergency application seeking permission to use such chemicals in the UK this planting season.
As the Guardian Damian Carrington reports:
Syngenta's neonicotinoid pesticide was given a two-year ban by the European Union in 2013 due to research linking it to serious harm in bees. Neonicotinoids are the world's most widely used insecticide and in June an international scientific review concluded that contamination was so pervasive it threatened global food production.
Syngenta argued that there was a future pest threat to oil seed crops that justified an emergency exemption and the government's advisory committee on pesticides said the criteria for an exemption had been met, although the evidence of the threat was not made public.
As part of a coalition to uphold a ban on the European use of neonicotinoids, a class of chemicals used in pesticides shown to be extremely harmful to pollinating bees, both Friends of the Earth and Avaaz were among those who reacted to Syngenta's decision with celebration.
"Our under-threat bees can breathe a bit easier," said Andrew Pendleton, a coordinator with Friends of the Earth, in a statement. "We're delighted Syngenta has withdrawn this application. The scientific evidence linking neonicotinoid pesticides to bee decline is stacking up. Ministers are currently finalising their action plan for protecting Britain's bees and it must get tough on all the causes of bee decline, including pesticides."
Emma Hockridge, head of policy at the UK-based Soil Association, called the decision "a victory for pollinators and for science." She continued, "There was no good reason for allowing this derogation and the impact could have been catastrophic."
And Bert Wander, a campaign organizers with Avaaz, said: "It's great news that the huge swarm of protest killed off Syngenta's attempts to try and keep their bee-killing poisons in Britain's fields. We welcome their withdrawal and we hope this is the end of it."
Though Europe has maintained its ban and campaigners continue to press for stronger protections for the world's most effective pollinating species, efforts in the U.S. to ban these pesticides and other toxins have continued to falter despite the growing threat.
_______________________________