

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
The United Nations, blamed for causing the outbreak of cholera in Haiti which killed over 7000 and sickened over half a million, has rejected a November 2011 claim for compensation on behalf of victims of the disease, stating, "claims are not receivable."
"Today, the United Nations advised the claimants' representatives that the claims are not receivable pursuant to Section 29 of the Convention on the Privileges and Immunities of the United Nations," a spokesperson for U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon stated on Thursday. "The Secretary-General telephoned Haitian President Michel Martelly to inform him of the decision, and to reiterate the commitment of the United Nations to the elimination of cholera in Haiti."
There is a mountain of evidence showing cholera was brought to Haiti by U.N. forces, as Mark Weisbrot, co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research and president of Just Foreign Policy has pointed out, and former President Bill Clinton, U.N. special envoy for Haiti, has stated that cholera was brought by UN forces as well.
Weisbrot slammed today's decision as a failure by the U.N., the U.S. and its allies:
The scientific and forensic evidence that UN troops brought cholera to Haiti is far beyond the standard of "reasonable doubt" required in the U.S. criminal justice system, let alone the less exacting standard of "preponderance of the evidence" in a civil suit. It included studies by independent scientists, articles published by the New England Journal of Medicine, the U.S. Center for Disease Control, and even the UN's own research.
If this were a private corporation that could be sued in a U.S. court, there is little doubt that it would end up paying hundreds of millions if not billions in damages. The UN's denial represents a failure not only of the UN system, which is abused by the rich countries, but a failure by the U.S. and its allies, who sent those troops to Haiti without proper safeguards and against the will of the Haitian people.
The U.N. statement added that it has "worked closely with the people and government of Haiti to provide treatment, improve water and sanitation facilities, and strengthen prevention and early warning. In December 2012, the Secretary-General launched an initiative for the Elimination of Cholera in Haiti, which aims to strengthen Haiti's own National Cholera Elimination Plan through significant investments and the use of an oral cholera vaccine."
Weisbrot has previously said that the U.N.'s cholera elimination plan "falls short," and said "It is unclear where the money for this is going to come from, and whether the international community, which has chronically underfunded responses to disasters in Haiti, will treat this any differently, and actually put up the cash to stop needless deaths."
Weisbrot stated today that they do "have the resources to put an end to cholera in Haiti for less money than they are going to spend in the next year or two on keeping U.N. troops there. But they're in no rush to right the wrongs that they have done."

Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
The United Nations, blamed for causing the outbreak of cholera in Haiti which killed over 7000 and sickened over half a million, has rejected a November 2011 claim for compensation on behalf of victims of the disease, stating, "claims are not receivable."
"Today, the United Nations advised the claimants' representatives that the claims are not receivable pursuant to Section 29 of the Convention on the Privileges and Immunities of the United Nations," a spokesperson for U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon stated on Thursday. "The Secretary-General telephoned Haitian President Michel Martelly to inform him of the decision, and to reiterate the commitment of the United Nations to the elimination of cholera in Haiti."
There is a mountain of evidence showing cholera was brought to Haiti by U.N. forces, as Mark Weisbrot, co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research and president of Just Foreign Policy has pointed out, and former President Bill Clinton, U.N. special envoy for Haiti, has stated that cholera was brought by UN forces as well.
Weisbrot slammed today's decision as a failure by the U.N., the U.S. and its allies:
The scientific and forensic evidence that UN troops brought cholera to Haiti is far beyond the standard of "reasonable doubt" required in the U.S. criminal justice system, let alone the less exacting standard of "preponderance of the evidence" in a civil suit. It included studies by independent scientists, articles published by the New England Journal of Medicine, the U.S. Center for Disease Control, and even the UN's own research.
If this were a private corporation that could be sued in a U.S. court, there is little doubt that it would end up paying hundreds of millions if not billions in damages. The UN's denial represents a failure not only of the UN system, which is abused by the rich countries, but a failure by the U.S. and its allies, who sent those troops to Haiti without proper safeguards and against the will of the Haitian people.
The U.N. statement added that it has "worked closely with the people and government of Haiti to provide treatment, improve water and sanitation facilities, and strengthen prevention and early warning. In December 2012, the Secretary-General launched an initiative for the Elimination of Cholera in Haiti, which aims to strengthen Haiti's own National Cholera Elimination Plan through significant investments and the use of an oral cholera vaccine."
Weisbrot has previously said that the U.N.'s cholera elimination plan "falls short," and said "It is unclear where the money for this is going to come from, and whether the international community, which has chronically underfunded responses to disasters in Haiti, will treat this any differently, and actually put up the cash to stop needless deaths."
Weisbrot stated today that they do "have the resources to put an end to cholera in Haiti for less money than they are going to spend in the next year or two on keeping U.N. troops there. But they're in no rush to right the wrongs that they have done."

The United Nations, blamed for causing the outbreak of cholera in Haiti which killed over 7000 and sickened over half a million, has rejected a November 2011 claim for compensation on behalf of victims of the disease, stating, "claims are not receivable."
"Today, the United Nations advised the claimants' representatives that the claims are not receivable pursuant to Section 29 of the Convention on the Privileges and Immunities of the United Nations," a spokesperson for U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon stated on Thursday. "The Secretary-General telephoned Haitian President Michel Martelly to inform him of the decision, and to reiterate the commitment of the United Nations to the elimination of cholera in Haiti."
There is a mountain of evidence showing cholera was brought to Haiti by U.N. forces, as Mark Weisbrot, co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research and president of Just Foreign Policy has pointed out, and former President Bill Clinton, U.N. special envoy for Haiti, has stated that cholera was brought by UN forces as well.
Weisbrot slammed today's decision as a failure by the U.N., the U.S. and its allies:
The scientific and forensic evidence that UN troops brought cholera to Haiti is far beyond the standard of "reasonable doubt" required in the U.S. criminal justice system, let alone the less exacting standard of "preponderance of the evidence" in a civil suit. It included studies by independent scientists, articles published by the New England Journal of Medicine, the U.S. Center for Disease Control, and even the UN's own research.
If this were a private corporation that could be sued in a U.S. court, there is little doubt that it would end up paying hundreds of millions if not billions in damages. The UN's denial represents a failure not only of the UN system, which is abused by the rich countries, but a failure by the U.S. and its allies, who sent those troops to Haiti without proper safeguards and against the will of the Haitian people.
The U.N. statement added that it has "worked closely with the people and government of Haiti to provide treatment, improve water and sanitation facilities, and strengthen prevention and early warning. In December 2012, the Secretary-General launched an initiative for the Elimination of Cholera in Haiti, which aims to strengthen Haiti's own National Cholera Elimination Plan through significant investments and the use of an oral cholera vaccine."
Weisbrot has previously said that the U.N.'s cholera elimination plan "falls short," and said "It is unclear where the money for this is going to come from, and whether the international community, which has chronically underfunded responses to disasters in Haiti, will treat this any differently, and actually put up the cash to stop needless deaths."
Weisbrot stated today that they do "have the resources to put an end to cholera in Haiti for less money than they are going to spend in the next year or two on keeping U.N. troops there. But they're in no rush to right the wrongs that they have done."
