

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
The ACLU of Ohio and the city of Cleveland have reached a settlement after a judge on Thursday struck down the rules set by city officials for protesters at next month's Republican National Convention, saying the restrictions on speeches and parades were unconstitutional.
The decision from U.S. District Judge James Gwin comes in response to a lawsuit filed last week by the ACLU of Ohio, which said the rules were "arbitrary, unnecessary, and unjustifiable."
According to Cleveland.com, Gwin said:
The RNC takes place in Cleveland from July 18-21.
Given the short timeline, ACLU of Ohio attorneys negotiated with the city at Gwin's behest to come up with a compromise. The details of that agreement, announced Friday, have not yet been made public.
The Cleveland.com editorial board wrote on Thursday:
Three changes that Cleveland should make right away would go a long way -- maybe all the way -- to resolving this mess.
The first would be to allow protesters on Ontario Street across from The Q -- the street is expected to be closed anyway and barricades could keep protesters out of any Secret Service exclusion zone.
The second would be to give protesters easier access to Public Square and other high-profile sites farther from the convention.
A third would be to allow protests during late-afternoon and evening hours when delegates are likely to be attending the convention.
Both the ACLU and groups that are planning to demonstrate during the convention were pleased with Gwin's ruling.
"Clearly the legal system worked today, when a federal judge ruled that peaceful protestors deserve the right to have their voices heard," the coalition Stand Together Against Trump declared on Facebook. "That's what we've been fighting for--and we think this is a step in the right direction. We're hopeful the City will work with us moving forward."
Meanwhile, the Ohio chapter of the National Lawyers Guild (Ohio NLG) and the Cleveland Branch of the NAACP are crying foul over reports that local and federal police are knocking on the doors of community activists in advance of the convention. More than a dozen people in Cleveland have reported visits this week from law enforcement officials with the Department of Homeland Security, Secret Service, FBI's Cleveland Field Office, Cuyahoga County Sheriff's Department, and Cleveland Division of Police.
"The purpose of these door knocks is simple: to intimidate the target and others in an effort to discourage people from engaging in lawful First Amendment activities," said Jocelyn Rosnick, co-coordinator for the Ohio NLG, in a statement (pdf). "We are concerned these visits will chill the free speech activities of individuals wishing to lawfully protest and that individuals who are not planning to be involved in the RNC are being harassed due to their associations."
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
The ACLU of Ohio and the city of Cleveland have reached a settlement after a judge on Thursday struck down the rules set by city officials for protesters at next month's Republican National Convention, saying the restrictions on speeches and parades were unconstitutional.
The decision from U.S. District Judge James Gwin comes in response to a lawsuit filed last week by the ACLU of Ohio, which said the rules were "arbitrary, unnecessary, and unjustifiable."
According to Cleveland.com, Gwin said:
The RNC takes place in Cleveland from July 18-21.
Given the short timeline, ACLU of Ohio attorneys negotiated with the city at Gwin's behest to come up with a compromise. The details of that agreement, announced Friday, have not yet been made public.
The Cleveland.com editorial board wrote on Thursday:
Three changes that Cleveland should make right away would go a long way -- maybe all the way -- to resolving this mess.
The first would be to allow protesters on Ontario Street across from The Q -- the street is expected to be closed anyway and barricades could keep protesters out of any Secret Service exclusion zone.
The second would be to give protesters easier access to Public Square and other high-profile sites farther from the convention.
A third would be to allow protests during late-afternoon and evening hours when delegates are likely to be attending the convention.
Both the ACLU and groups that are planning to demonstrate during the convention were pleased with Gwin's ruling.
"Clearly the legal system worked today, when a federal judge ruled that peaceful protestors deserve the right to have their voices heard," the coalition Stand Together Against Trump declared on Facebook. "That's what we've been fighting for--and we think this is a step in the right direction. We're hopeful the City will work with us moving forward."
Meanwhile, the Ohio chapter of the National Lawyers Guild (Ohio NLG) and the Cleveland Branch of the NAACP are crying foul over reports that local and federal police are knocking on the doors of community activists in advance of the convention. More than a dozen people in Cleveland have reported visits this week from law enforcement officials with the Department of Homeland Security, Secret Service, FBI's Cleveland Field Office, Cuyahoga County Sheriff's Department, and Cleveland Division of Police.
"The purpose of these door knocks is simple: to intimidate the target and others in an effort to discourage people from engaging in lawful First Amendment activities," said Jocelyn Rosnick, co-coordinator for the Ohio NLG, in a statement (pdf). "We are concerned these visits will chill the free speech activities of individuals wishing to lawfully protest and that individuals who are not planning to be involved in the RNC are being harassed due to their associations."
The ACLU of Ohio and the city of Cleveland have reached a settlement after a judge on Thursday struck down the rules set by city officials for protesters at next month's Republican National Convention, saying the restrictions on speeches and parades were unconstitutional.
The decision from U.S. District Judge James Gwin comes in response to a lawsuit filed last week by the ACLU of Ohio, which said the rules were "arbitrary, unnecessary, and unjustifiable."
According to Cleveland.com, Gwin said:
The RNC takes place in Cleveland from July 18-21.
Given the short timeline, ACLU of Ohio attorneys negotiated with the city at Gwin's behest to come up with a compromise. The details of that agreement, announced Friday, have not yet been made public.
The Cleveland.com editorial board wrote on Thursday:
Three changes that Cleveland should make right away would go a long way -- maybe all the way -- to resolving this mess.
The first would be to allow protesters on Ontario Street across from The Q -- the street is expected to be closed anyway and barricades could keep protesters out of any Secret Service exclusion zone.
The second would be to give protesters easier access to Public Square and other high-profile sites farther from the convention.
A third would be to allow protests during late-afternoon and evening hours when delegates are likely to be attending the convention.
Both the ACLU and groups that are planning to demonstrate during the convention were pleased with Gwin's ruling.
"Clearly the legal system worked today, when a federal judge ruled that peaceful protestors deserve the right to have their voices heard," the coalition Stand Together Against Trump declared on Facebook. "That's what we've been fighting for--and we think this is a step in the right direction. We're hopeful the City will work with us moving forward."
Meanwhile, the Ohio chapter of the National Lawyers Guild (Ohio NLG) and the Cleveland Branch of the NAACP are crying foul over reports that local and federal police are knocking on the doors of community activists in advance of the convention. More than a dozen people in Cleveland have reported visits this week from law enforcement officials with the Department of Homeland Security, Secret Service, FBI's Cleveland Field Office, Cuyahoga County Sheriff's Department, and Cleveland Division of Police.
"The purpose of these door knocks is simple: to intimidate the target and others in an effort to discourage people from engaging in lawful First Amendment activities," said Jocelyn Rosnick, co-coordinator for the Ohio NLG, in a statement (pdf). "We are concerned these visits will chill the free speech activities of individuals wishing to lawfully protest and that individuals who are not planning to be involved in the RNC are being harassed due to their associations."