

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
The United States and the 27 other NATO-member nations on Wednesday agreed to a new multinational force that will patrol the eastern European border setting up what many believe is "a dangerous dynamic...that has every possibility of spiraling out of control."
During a press conference on Wednesday, alliance ministers, who are meeting this week for a two-day conference in Brussels, Belgium, cast themselves as defenders against Russian aggression--a charge that Russian officials have repeatedly denied.
NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg told reporters that the force will rotate in and out of eastern European member states. The new strategy includes "a network of new alliance outposts, forces on rotation, warehoused equipment and regular war games, all backed by a rapid-reaction force," which includes "air, naval and special operations units of up to 40,000 personnel," Reuters reports.
Stoltenberg said the deployment "will be multinational to make clear that an attack against one ally is any attack against all allies and that the alliance as a whole will respond."
Robert Bridge, an American journalist based in Moscow, said Wednesday that the new fighting force is clearly a provocation.
"The result of this massive increase of spending will be more military hardware, more troops, more provocative exercises on Russia's western flank and much more tension between Moscow and NATO--which once upon a time promised Russia it would not expand 'one inch east' following the collapse of the Soviet Union," Bridge wrote.
"The fact is," he continued, "from Russia's point of view, foreign troops are there; they will have a constant presence regardless as to how they are defined. And that is how NATO--not Russia--is aggravating tensions with Russia."
Russia officials have also maintained that the heightened tensions are the result of European leaders, and western media, over-hyping the threat.
"The leaders of NATO member states and a number of European countries, especially Britain, the Nordic countries, the Baltic counties neighboring us, Poland, Romania and some others, are whipping up 'Russia's threat' myth," Russia's foreign minister Sergei Lavrov said in an interview with the Moskovsky Komsomolets daily.
"There is the impression that Russia is nearly the main stumbling block in international relations, because today the dominant media sources spread news from only the Western point of view," he added. Lavrov and Stoltenberg are scheduled to meet later this week at the Munich Security Conference in Germany.
What's more, according to a Kremlin spokesperson, the Russian government was given no advance warning of the new deployment.
"We don't understand what has provoked these actions," Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova told reporters after NATO's announcement. "The goal is to keep Russia in check."
The news follows last week's announcement by U.S. President Barack Obama that he is ratcheting up the deployment of heavy weapons and armored vehicles to bolster defenses along Europe's eastern flank, and $3.4 billion in new defense spending to pay for those arms, equipment, and training resources.
NATO leaders are expected to formally endorse the plans at a summit in Poland this July.
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
The United States and the 27 other NATO-member nations on Wednesday agreed to a new multinational force that will patrol the eastern European border setting up what many believe is "a dangerous dynamic...that has every possibility of spiraling out of control."
During a press conference on Wednesday, alliance ministers, who are meeting this week for a two-day conference in Brussels, Belgium, cast themselves as defenders against Russian aggression--a charge that Russian officials have repeatedly denied.
NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg told reporters that the force will rotate in and out of eastern European member states. The new strategy includes "a network of new alliance outposts, forces on rotation, warehoused equipment and regular war games, all backed by a rapid-reaction force," which includes "air, naval and special operations units of up to 40,000 personnel," Reuters reports.
Stoltenberg said the deployment "will be multinational to make clear that an attack against one ally is any attack against all allies and that the alliance as a whole will respond."
Robert Bridge, an American journalist based in Moscow, said Wednesday that the new fighting force is clearly a provocation.
"The result of this massive increase of spending will be more military hardware, more troops, more provocative exercises on Russia's western flank and much more tension between Moscow and NATO--which once upon a time promised Russia it would not expand 'one inch east' following the collapse of the Soviet Union," Bridge wrote.
"The fact is," he continued, "from Russia's point of view, foreign troops are there; they will have a constant presence regardless as to how they are defined. And that is how NATO--not Russia--is aggravating tensions with Russia."
Russia officials have also maintained that the heightened tensions are the result of European leaders, and western media, over-hyping the threat.
"The leaders of NATO member states and a number of European countries, especially Britain, the Nordic countries, the Baltic counties neighboring us, Poland, Romania and some others, are whipping up 'Russia's threat' myth," Russia's foreign minister Sergei Lavrov said in an interview with the Moskovsky Komsomolets daily.
"There is the impression that Russia is nearly the main stumbling block in international relations, because today the dominant media sources spread news from only the Western point of view," he added. Lavrov and Stoltenberg are scheduled to meet later this week at the Munich Security Conference in Germany.
What's more, according to a Kremlin spokesperson, the Russian government was given no advance warning of the new deployment.
"We don't understand what has provoked these actions," Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova told reporters after NATO's announcement. "The goal is to keep Russia in check."
The news follows last week's announcement by U.S. President Barack Obama that he is ratcheting up the deployment of heavy weapons and armored vehicles to bolster defenses along Europe's eastern flank, and $3.4 billion in new defense spending to pay for those arms, equipment, and training resources.
NATO leaders are expected to formally endorse the plans at a summit in Poland this July.
The United States and the 27 other NATO-member nations on Wednesday agreed to a new multinational force that will patrol the eastern European border setting up what many believe is "a dangerous dynamic...that has every possibility of spiraling out of control."
During a press conference on Wednesday, alliance ministers, who are meeting this week for a two-day conference in Brussels, Belgium, cast themselves as defenders against Russian aggression--a charge that Russian officials have repeatedly denied.
NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg told reporters that the force will rotate in and out of eastern European member states. The new strategy includes "a network of new alliance outposts, forces on rotation, warehoused equipment and regular war games, all backed by a rapid-reaction force," which includes "air, naval and special operations units of up to 40,000 personnel," Reuters reports.
Stoltenberg said the deployment "will be multinational to make clear that an attack against one ally is any attack against all allies and that the alliance as a whole will respond."
Robert Bridge, an American journalist based in Moscow, said Wednesday that the new fighting force is clearly a provocation.
"The result of this massive increase of spending will be more military hardware, more troops, more provocative exercises on Russia's western flank and much more tension between Moscow and NATO--which once upon a time promised Russia it would not expand 'one inch east' following the collapse of the Soviet Union," Bridge wrote.
"The fact is," he continued, "from Russia's point of view, foreign troops are there; they will have a constant presence regardless as to how they are defined. And that is how NATO--not Russia--is aggravating tensions with Russia."
Russia officials have also maintained that the heightened tensions are the result of European leaders, and western media, over-hyping the threat.
"The leaders of NATO member states and a number of European countries, especially Britain, the Nordic countries, the Baltic counties neighboring us, Poland, Romania and some others, are whipping up 'Russia's threat' myth," Russia's foreign minister Sergei Lavrov said in an interview with the Moskovsky Komsomolets daily.
"There is the impression that Russia is nearly the main stumbling block in international relations, because today the dominant media sources spread news from only the Western point of view," he added. Lavrov and Stoltenberg are scheduled to meet later this week at the Munich Security Conference in Germany.
What's more, according to a Kremlin spokesperson, the Russian government was given no advance warning of the new deployment.
"We don't understand what has provoked these actions," Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova told reporters after NATO's announcement. "The goal is to keep Russia in check."
The news follows last week's announcement by U.S. President Barack Obama that he is ratcheting up the deployment of heavy weapons and armored vehicles to bolster defenses along Europe's eastern flank, and $3.4 billion in new defense spending to pay for those arms, equipment, and training resources.
NATO leaders are expected to formally endorse the plans at a summit in Poland this July.