For Immediate Release
CREDO Sends Cease and Desist Letter to Judicial Crisis Network over Kavanaugh Ads
WASHINGTON - CREDO Mobile has sent a letter (PDF) to the Judicial Crisis Network regarding its television advertisements featuring footage of me, CREDO Action Co-Director Josh Nelson, being arrested protesting the Senate Judiciary Committee's Sept. 4 confirmation hearing for Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.
The letter insists that the Judicial Crisis Network immediately "take down, discontinue, and refrain from any further posting or broadcasting of any and all videos using any footage of Mr. Nelson, including but not limited to the videos at the links above; and cease and refrain from making any further false, misleading, or disparaging statements regarding Mr. Nelson."
The letter continues:
"It is clear from the advertisements that JCN is characterizing Mr. Nelson as a member of the so-called “liberal mob,” and is thereby accusing Mr. Nelson of participating in a scheme to make false accusations against Judge Brett Kavanaugh in an effort to damage his reputation. Such characterization of Mr. Nelson grossly misrepresents the views Mr. Nelson is expressing in the footage, it is highly offensive, and it is clearly intended to injure Mr. Nelson’s reputation and portray him in a false or misleading light."
The full letter can be found here: https://d2omw6a1nm6pnh.cloudfront.net/images/CREDO_Letter_to_Judicial_Crisis_Network_.pdf
CREDO has waged a full court press in opposition to Brett Kavanaugh's confirmation to the Supreme Court. Highlights include:
- Hundreds of thousands of CREDO members have signed petitions and tens of thousands more have made phone calls to key Senate offices.
- CREDO vice presidents Trish Tobin and Josh Nelson were arrested disrupting Brett Kavanaugh's Senate Judiciary Committee confirmation hearing on September 4.
- CREDO conducted polling in Maine, Alaska and New York showing strong public opposition to Kavanaugh.
- CREDO drafted and spearheaded a September 7 letter signed by more than a dozen leading progressive groups urging Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer to immediately unite all Senate Democrats in opposition.
- From September 4-6, CREDO's mobile billboard circulated on Capitol Hill to make clear that it is Sen. Chuck Schumer's job to unite all Senate Democrats in opposition to Kavanaugh.
This is the world we live in. This is the world we cover.
Because of people like you, another world is possible. There are many battles to be won, but we will battle them together—all of us. Common Dreams is not your normal news outlet. We don't survive on clicks. We don't want advertising dollars. We want the world to be a better place. But we can't do it alone. It doesn't work that way. We need you. If you can help today—because every gift of every size matters—please do. Without Your Support We Won't Exist.
Please select a donation method:
CREDO Action, part of CREDO Mobile, is a social change network of over five million activists, sending tens of millions of petition signatures and hundreds of thousands of phone calls to decision-makers each year. CREDO Action members also participate in meetings, protests and other direct action for progressive change.