

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.

Then-President Donald Trump spoke to reporters in the Oval Office on July 20, 2020. (Photo: Doug Mills-Pool/Getty Images)
FBI agents were reportedly seeking to recover classified nuclear weapons documents and other items when they raided Donald Trump's Florida home earlier this week, a move that set off an immediate firestorm of backlash from the former president's far-right loyalists.
According to the Washington Post, which cited unnamed people familiar with the Justice Department's ongoing investigation, it's unclear whether the nuclear documents were among the dozen boxes of material that FBI agents seized from Trump's Mar-a-Lago residence on Monday.
"Experts in classified information said the unusual search underscores deep concern among government officials about the types of information they thought could be located at Trump's Mar-a-Lago Club and potentially in danger of falling into the wrong hands," the Post reported late Thursday.
The Post story does not specify precisely what kind of nuclear weapons documents the FBI was trying to find. This spring, Trump reportedly received a Justice Department subpoena for documents but apparently did not comply. Earlier this year, the National Archives and Records Administration retrieved more than a dozen boxes of White House documents from Mar-a-Lago.
Derek Johnson, managing partner at Global Zero--a campaign that supports the elimination of nuclear weapons--responded with alarm that "the criminal who stole top secret nuclear documents is the same one who had absolute authority to order a nuclear attack at any time."
In a similar vein, the advocacy group Public Citizen wrote on Twitter that "a president who was deemed unfit to manage this bird app stole documents related to nuclear weapons and refused to comply to return them."
The Post's reporting came hours after U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland said at a Thursday afternoon press conference that the Justice Department has filed a motion to unseal the search warrant that authorized the raid of Mar-a-Lago.
Garland didn't offer any new details of the investigation during his brief remarks.
As Garland addressed the media, police were engaged in an hourslong standoff with an armed, body armor-clad man who allegedly attempted to breach the FBI's Cincinnati office. Police shot and killed the man, identified as 42-year-old Ricky Shiffer, following failed negotiations after he fled the scene, authorities said.
The Associated Press reported that Shiffer is "believed to have been in Washington in the days leading up to the January 6, 2021 insurrection and may have been present at the Capitol on the day of the attack."
"Federal investigators are examining whether Shiffer may have had ties to far-right extremist groups, including the Proud Boys," AP added.
The Post noted Thursday that "a person using Shiffer's name on TruthSocial, Trump's social media site, posted a 'call to arms' message shortly after Monday's FBI search became public."
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
FBI agents were reportedly seeking to recover classified nuclear weapons documents and other items when they raided Donald Trump's Florida home earlier this week, a move that set off an immediate firestorm of backlash from the former president's far-right loyalists.
According to the Washington Post, which cited unnamed people familiar with the Justice Department's ongoing investigation, it's unclear whether the nuclear documents were among the dozen boxes of material that FBI agents seized from Trump's Mar-a-Lago residence on Monday.
"Experts in classified information said the unusual search underscores deep concern among government officials about the types of information they thought could be located at Trump's Mar-a-Lago Club and potentially in danger of falling into the wrong hands," the Post reported late Thursday.
The Post story does not specify precisely what kind of nuclear weapons documents the FBI was trying to find. This spring, Trump reportedly received a Justice Department subpoena for documents but apparently did not comply. Earlier this year, the National Archives and Records Administration retrieved more than a dozen boxes of White House documents from Mar-a-Lago.
Derek Johnson, managing partner at Global Zero--a campaign that supports the elimination of nuclear weapons--responded with alarm that "the criminal who stole top secret nuclear documents is the same one who had absolute authority to order a nuclear attack at any time."
In a similar vein, the advocacy group Public Citizen wrote on Twitter that "a president who was deemed unfit to manage this bird app stole documents related to nuclear weapons and refused to comply to return them."
The Post's reporting came hours after U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland said at a Thursday afternoon press conference that the Justice Department has filed a motion to unseal the search warrant that authorized the raid of Mar-a-Lago.
Garland didn't offer any new details of the investigation during his brief remarks.
As Garland addressed the media, police were engaged in an hourslong standoff with an armed, body armor-clad man who allegedly attempted to breach the FBI's Cincinnati office. Police shot and killed the man, identified as 42-year-old Ricky Shiffer, following failed negotiations after he fled the scene, authorities said.
The Associated Press reported that Shiffer is "believed to have been in Washington in the days leading up to the January 6, 2021 insurrection and may have been present at the Capitol on the day of the attack."
"Federal investigators are examining whether Shiffer may have had ties to far-right extremist groups, including the Proud Boys," AP added.
The Post noted Thursday that "a person using Shiffer's name on TruthSocial, Trump's social media site, posted a 'call to arms' message shortly after Monday's FBI search became public."
FBI agents were reportedly seeking to recover classified nuclear weapons documents and other items when they raided Donald Trump's Florida home earlier this week, a move that set off an immediate firestorm of backlash from the former president's far-right loyalists.
According to the Washington Post, which cited unnamed people familiar with the Justice Department's ongoing investigation, it's unclear whether the nuclear documents were among the dozen boxes of material that FBI agents seized from Trump's Mar-a-Lago residence on Monday.
"Experts in classified information said the unusual search underscores deep concern among government officials about the types of information they thought could be located at Trump's Mar-a-Lago Club and potentially in danger of falling into the wrong hands," the Post reported late Thursday.
The Post story does not specify precisely what kind of nuclear weapons documents the FBI was trying to find. This spring, Trump reportedly received a Justice Department subpoena for documents but apparently did not comply. Earlier this year, the National Archives and Records Administration retrieved more than a dozen boxes of White House documents from Mar-a-Lago.
Derek Johnson, managing partner at Global Zero--a campaign that supports the elimination of nuclear weapons--responded with alarm that "the criminal who stole top secret nuclear documents is the same one who had absolute authority to order a nuclear attack at any time."
In a similar vein, the advocacy group Public Citizen wrote on Twitter that "a president who was deemed unfit to manage this bird app stole documents related to nuclear weapons and refused to comply to return them."
The Post's reporting came hours after U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland said at a Thursday afternoon press conference that the Justice Department has filed a motion to unseal the search warrant that authorized the raid of Mar-a-Lago.
Garland didn't offer any new details of the investigation during his brief remarks.
As Garland addressed the media, police were engaged in an hourslong standoff with an armed, body armor-clad man who allegedly attempted to breach the FBI's Cincinnati office. Police shot and killed the man, identified as 42-year-old Ricky Shiffer, following failed negotiations after he fled the scene, authorities said.
The Associated Press reported that Shiffer is "believed to have been in Washington in the days leading up to the January 6, 2021 insurrection and may have been present at the Capitol on the day of the attack."
"Federal investigators are examining whether Shiffer may have had ties to far-right extremist groups, including the Proud Boys," AP added.
The Post noted Thursday that "a person using Shiffer's name on TruthSocial, Trump's social media site, posted a 'call to arms' message shortly after Monday's FBI search became public."