
President Donald Trump talks to reporters during a briefing with military leaders, including acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Gen. Joseph Dunford, Chief of Naval Operations Admiral John Richardson, and others in the Cabinet Room at the White House April 03, 2019 in Washington, D.C. (Photo: Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
'Barreling Towards Another Catastrophic War,' Trump Orders 1,000 More Troops to Middle East to Threaten Iran
"None of this would be happening if Trump didn't back out of the Iran nuclear deal," said Rep. Ilhan Omar
With U.N. officials reportedly worried that the United States is planning to carry out a bombing campaign against Iran--a move that ultra-hawkish Sen. Tom Cotton openly advocated over the weekend--the Trump administration late Monday announced the deployment of 1,000 more troops to the Middle East following attacks on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman.
"Rather than pursuing diplomatic off ramps to avert conflict with Iran, the Trump administration is in the left lane pushing the pedal to the floor, barreling towards another catastrophic war of choice."
--Jon Rainwater, Peace Action
The Trump administration has claimed--on the basis of scarce evidence--that Iran carried out last week's tanker attacks, but Japan and European nations have expressed deep skepticism and called for a thorough investigation. Iran has denied any responsibility for the attacks.
While acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan insisted in a statement that the 1,000 additional troops are being deployed for "defensive" purposes, anti-war critics and members of Congress raised alarm that the Trump administration is rapidly moving closer to an all-out military conflict with Iran.
"Rather than pursuing diplomatic off ramps to avert conflict with Iran, the Trump administration is in the left lane pushing the pedal to the floor, barreling towards another catastrophic war of choice," Jon Rainwater, executive director of Peace Action, said in a statement.
"War with Iran would be a historic disaster, imperiling countless U.S. and Iranian lives and further destabilizing the region," said Rainwater. "We cannot allow the administration to play politics with our foreign policy at the expense of national security."
Medea Benjamin, co-founder of CodePink, declared in response to the troop deployment, "This is the Trump administration's march to war with Iran."
The Pentagon's announcement came just hours after Iran said it may ramp up uranium enrichment in an effort to pressure European nations to provide relief from crippling U.S. sanctions and uphold their end of the nuclear accord, which President Donald Trump unilaterally violated last year.
"None of this would be happening if Trump didn't back out of the Iran nuclear deal," Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) said of the growing threat of war with Iran. "America's response should be to return to the table and reinstate the Iran nuclear deal. Increasing tensions and threats of war serve nobody's interests."
Rep. David Cicilline (D-R.I.) echoed Omar, arguing that Trump's "bad judgment is moving us closer to another war."
\u201c.@BarackObama negotiated an agreement that was blocking Iran from developing a nuclear weapon.\n\n@realDonaldTrump tore it up.\n\nHe\u2019s now sending 1,000 troops to the region as Iran moves towards enriching uranium.\n\nThis President\u2019s bad judgment is moving us closer to another war.\u201d— David Cicilline (@David Cicilline) 1560821460
In a televised speech on Tuesday, just hours after news of the deployment of more U.S. troops to the Middle East, Iranian president Hassan Rouhani said his country "will not wage war against any nation."
"Those facing us are a group of politicians with little experience," Rouhani said, referring to the Trump administration. "Despite all of the Americans' efforts in the region and their desire to cut off our ties with all of the world and their desire to keep Iran secluded, they have been unsuccessful."
An Urgent Message From Our Co-Founder
Dear Common Dreams reader, The U.S. is on a fast track to authoritarianism like nothing I've ever seen. Meanwhile, corporate news outlets are utterly capitulating to Trump, twisting their coverage to avoid drawing his ire while lining up to stuff cash in his pockets. That's why I believe that Common Dreams is doing the best and most consequential reporting that we've ever done. Our small but mighty team is a progressive reporting powerhouse, covering the news every day that the corporate media never will. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. And to ignite change for the common good. Now here's the key piece that I want all our readers to understand: None of this would be possible without your financial support. That's not just some fundraising cliche. It's the absolute and literal truth. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. The final deadline for our crucial Summer Campaign fundraising drive is just days away, and we’re falling short of our must-hit goal. Will you donate now to help power the nonprofit, independent reporting of Common Dreams? Thank you for being a vital member of our community. Together, we can keep independent journalism alive when it’s needed most. - Craig Brown, Co-founder |
With U.N. officials reportedly worried that the United States is planning to carry out a bombing campaign against Iran--a move that ultra-hawkish Sen. Tom Cotton openly advocated over the weekend--the Trump administration late Monday announced the deployment of 1,000 more troops to the Middle East following attacks on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman.
"Rather than pursuing diplomatic off ramps to avert conflict with Iran, the Trump administration is in the left lane pushing the pedal to the floor, barreling towards another catastrophic war of choice."
--Jon Rainwater, Peace Action
The Trump administration has claimed--on the basis of scarce evidence--that Iran carried out last week's tanker attacks, but Japan and European nations have expressed deep skepticism and called for a thorough investigation. Iran has denied any responsibility for the attacks.
While acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan insisted in a statement that the 1,000 additional troops are being deployed for "defensive" purposes, anti-war critics and members of Congress raised alarm that the Trump administration is rapidly moving closer to an all-out military conflict with Iran.
"Rather than pursuing diplomatic off ramps to avert conflict with Iran, the Trump administration is in the left lane pushing the pedal to the floor, barreling towards another catastrophic war of choice," Jon Rainwater, executive director of Peace Action, said in a statement.
"War with Iran would be a historic disaster, imperiling countless U.S. and Iranian lives and further destabilizing the region," said Rainwater. "We cannot allow the administration to play politics with our foreign policy at the expense of national security."
Medea Benjamin, co-founder of CodePink, declared in response to the troop deployment, "This is the Trump administration's march to war with Iran."
The Pentagon's announcement came just hours after Iran said it may ramp up uranium enrichment in an effort to pressure European nations to provide relief from crippling U.S. sanctions and uphold their end of the nuclear accord, which President Donald Trump unilaterally violated last year.
"None of this would be happening if Trump didn't back out of the Iran nuclear deal," Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) said of the growing threat of war with Iran. "America's response should be to return to the table and reinstate the Iran nuclear deal. Increasing tensions and threats of war serve nobody's interests."
Rep. David Cicilline (D-R.I.) echoed Omar, arguing that Trump's "bad judgment is moving us closer to another war."
\u201c.@BarackObama negotiated an agreement that was blocking Iran from developing a nuclear weapon.\n\n@realDonaldTrump tore it up.\n\nHe\u2019s now sending 1,000 troops to the region as Iran moves towards enriching uranium.\n\nThis President\u2019s bad judgment is moving us closer to another war.\u201d— David Cicilline (@David Cicilline) 1560821460
In a televised speech on Tuesday, just hours after news of the deployment of more U.S. troops to the Middle East, Iranian president Hassan Rouhani said his country "will not wage war against any nation."
"Those facing us are a group of politicians with little experience," Rouhani said, referring to the Trump administration. "Despite all of the Americans' efforts in the region and their desire to cut off our ties with all of the world and their desire to keep Iran secluded, they have been unsuccessful."
With U.N. officials reportedly worried that the United States is planning to carry out a bombing campaign against Iran--a move that ultra-hawkish Sen. Tom Cotton openly advocated over the weekend--the Trump administration late Monday announced the deployment of 1,000 more troops to the Middle East following attacks on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman.
"Rather than pursuing diplomatic off ramps to avert conflict with Iran, the Trump administration is in the left lane pushing the pedal to the floor, barreling towards another catastrophic war of choice."
--Jon Rainwater, Peace Action
The Trump administration has claimed--on the basis of scarce evidence--that Iran carried out last week's tanker attacks, but Japan and European nations have expressed deep skepticism and called for a thorough investigation. Iran has denied any responsibility for the attacks.
While acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan insisted in a statement that the 1,000 additional troops are being deployed for "defensive" purposes, anti-war critics and members of Congress raised alarm that the Trump administration is rapidly moving closer to an all-out military conflict with Iran.
"Rather than pursuing diplomatic off ramps to avert conflict with Iran, the Trump administration is in the left lane pushing the pedal to the floor, barreling towards another catastrophic war of choice," Jon Rainwater, executive director of Peace Action, said in a statement.
"War with Iran would be a historic disaster, imperiling countless U.S. and Iranian lives and further destabilizing the region," said Rainwater. "We cannot allow the administration to play politics with our foreign policy at the expense of national security."
Medea Benjamin, co-founder of CodePink, declared in response to the troop deployment, "This is the Trump administration's march to war with Iran."
The Pentagon's announcement came just hours after Iran said it may ramp up uranium enrichment in an effort to pressure European nations to provide relief from crippling U.S. sanctions and uphold their end of the nuclear accord, which President Donald Trump unilaterally violated last year.
"None of this would be happening if Trump didn't back out of the Iran nuclear deal," Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) said of the growing threat of war with Iran. "America's response should be to return to the table and reinstate the Iran nuclear deal. Increasing tensions and threats of war serve nobody's interests."
Rep. David Cicilline (D-R.I.) echoed Omar, arguing that Trump's "bad judgment is moving us closer to another war."
\u201c.@BarackObama negotiated an agreement that was blocking Iran from developing a nuclear weapon.\n\n@realDonaldTrump tore it up.\n\nHe\u2019s now sending 1,000 troops to the region as Iran moves towards enriching uranium.\n\nThis President\u2019s bad judgment is moving us closer to another war.\u201d— David Cicilline (@David Cicilline) 1560821460
In a televised speech on Tuesday, just hours after news of the deployment of more U.S. troops to the Middle East, Iranian president Hassan Rouhani said his country "will not wage war against any nation."
"Those facing us are a group of politicians with little experience," Rouhani said, referring to the Trump administration. "Despite all of the Americans' efforts in the region and their desire to cut off our ties with all of the world and their desire to keep Iran secluded, they have been unsuccessful."