

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.

A boy stands on rubble of a house destroyed in 26 March 2015, in an airstrike carried out by the Saudi-led coalition on March 24, 2018 in Sana'a, Yemen. (Photo: Mohammed Hamoud/Getty Images)
"America is now aiding and abetting the use of child soldiers."
That was how Ari Rabin-Havt, deputy policy director for U.S. Sen Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), responded to a New York Times report on Friday detailing Saudi Arabia's use of Sudanese child soldiers as young as 14 years old to wage its vicious assault on Yemen, which has resulted in the worst humanitarian crisis in the world.
According to the Times, "five fighters who have returned from Yemen and another about to depart said that children made up at least 20 percent of their units. Two said children were more than 40 percent."
"To keep a safe distance from the battle lines," the Times noted, "their Saudi or Emirati overseers commanded the Sudanese fighters almost exclusively by remote control, directing them to attack or retreat through radio headsets and GPS systems provided to the Sudanese officers in charge of each unit, the fighters all said."
The Times report was met with horror by anti-war activists, who highlighted the fact that--by continuing to send the Saudis arms and provide other military assistance--the United States is directly complicit in the kingdom's use of children as soldiers in its years-long war on Yemen.
"Children paid to kill children. This is how our 'ally,' Saudi Arabia, wages its disgusting war in Yemen," wrote Joe Cirincione, president of the Ploughshares Fund. "And we help pay for it."
As the Times reported, nearly all of the Sudanese soldiers paid by Saudi Arabia to fight in Yemen "appear to come from the battle-scarred and impoverished region of Darfur, where some 300,000 people were killed and 1.2 million displaced during a dozen years of conflict over diminishing arable land and other scarce resources."
Taking advantage of its "vast oil wealth," the Times noted, the Saudi kingdom has offered thousands of dollars to desperate Sudanese families in order to lure children to fight in Yemen, where millions of people have been pushed to the brink of famine.
The Times report comes amid a growing push by American lawmakers to end U.S. complicity in the Saudi atrocities, which have often been carried out with weaponry made in the U.S.
As Common Dreams reported, the Senate took the "historic" step earlier this month of voting to end U.S. military support for Saudi Arabia.
But, thanks to a handful of Democrats, House Republicans succeeded in ramming through a rule that killed the possibility of the Yemen War Powers Resolution of even reaching the House floor for a vote in this Congress.
Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), who has helped lead the push to end U.S. complicity in Saudi Arabia's atrocities, has vowed to keep pushing for final passage of the measure when the next Congress convenes in January.
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
"America is now aiding and abetting the use of child soldiers."
That was how Ari Rabin-Havt, deputy policy director for U.S. Sen Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), responded to a New York Times report on Friday detailing Saudi Arabia's use of Sudanese child soldiers as young as 14 years old to wage its vicious assault on Yemen, which has resulted in the worst humanitarian crisis in the world.
According to the Times, "five fighters who have returned from Yemen and another about to depart said that children made up at least 20 percent of their units. Two said children were more than 40 percent."
"To keep a safe distance from the battle lines," the Times noted, "their Saudi or Emirati overseers commanded the Sudanese fighters almost exclusively by remote control, directing them to attack or retreat through radio headsets and GPS systems provided to the Sudanese officers in charge of each unit, the fighters all said."
The Times report was met with horror by anti-war activists, who highlighted the fact that--by continuing to send the Saudis arms and provide other military assistance--the United States is directly complicit in the kingdom's use of children as soldiers in its years-long war on Yemen.
"Children paid to kill children. This is how our 'ally,' Saudi Arabia, wages its disgusting war in Yemen," wrote Joe Cirincione, president of the Ploughshares Fund. "And we help pay for it."
As the Times reported, nearly all of the Sudanese soldiers paid by Saudi Arabia to fight in Yemen "appear to come from the battle-scarred and impoverished region of Darfur, where some 300,000 people were killed and 1.2 million displaced during a dozen years of conflict over diminishing arable land and other scarce resources."
Taking advantage of its "vast oil wealth," the Times noted, the Saudi kingdom has offered thousands of dollars to desperate Sudanese families in order to lure children to fight in Yemen, where millions of people have been pushed to the brink of famine.
The Times report comes amid a growing push by American lawmakers to end U.S. complicity in the Saudi atrocities, which have often been carried out with weaponry made in the U.S.
As Common Dreams reported, the Senate took the "historic" step earlier this month of voting to end U.S. military support for Saudi Arabia.
But, thanks to a handful of Democrats, House Republicans succeeded in ramming through a rule that killed the possibility of the Yemen War Powers Resolution of even reaching the House floor for a vote in this Congress.
Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), who has helped lead the push to end U.S. complicity in Saudi Arabia's atrocities, has vowed to keep pushing for final passage of the measure when the next Congress convenes in January.
"America is now aiding and abetting the use of child soldiers."
That was how Ari Rabin-Havt, deputy policy director for U.S. Sen Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), responded to a New York Times report on Friday detailing Saudi Arabia's use of Sudanese child soldiers as young as 14 years old to wage its vicious assault on Yemen, which has resulted in the worst humanitarian crisis in the world.
According to the Times, "five fighters who have returned from Yemen and another about to depart said that children made up at least 20 percent of their units. Two said children were more than 40 percent."
"To keep a safe distance from the battle lines," the Times noted, "their Saudi or Emirati overseers commanded the Sudanese fighters almost exclusively by remote control, directing them to attack or retreat through radio headsets and GPS systems provided to the Sudanese officers in charge of each unit, the fighters all said."
The Times report was met with horror by anti-war activists, who highlighted the fact that--by continuing to send the Saudis arms and provide other military assistance--the United States is directly complicit in the kingdom's use of children as soldiers in its years-long war on Yemen.
"Children paid to kill children. This is how our 'ally,' Saudi Arabia, wages its disgusting war in Yemen," wrote Joe Cirincione, president of the Ploughshares Fund. "And we help pay for it."
As the Times reported, nearly all of the Sudanese soldiers paid by Saudi Arabia to fight in Yemen "appear to come from the battle-scarred and impoverished region of Darfur, where some 300,000 people were killed and 1.2 million displaced during a dozen years of conflict over diminishing arable land and other scarce resources."
Taking advantage of its "vast oil wealth," the Times noted, the Saudi kingdom has offered thousands of dollars to desperate Sudanese families in order to lure children to fight in Yemen, where millions of people have been pushed to the brink of famine.
The Times report comes amid a growing push by American lawmakers to end U.S. complicity in the Saudi atrocities, which have often been carried out with weaponry made in the U.S.
As Common Dreams reported, the Senate took the "historic" step earlier this month of voting to end U.S. military support for Saudi Arabia.
But, thanks to a handful of Democrats, House Republicans succeeded in ramming through a rule that killed the possibility of the Yemen War Powers Resolution of even reaching the House floor for a vote in this Congress.
Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), who has helped lead the push to end U.S. complicity in Saudi Arabia's atrocities, has vowed to keep pushing for final passage of the measure when the next Congress convenes in January.