
Mike Dubke has resigned as President Trump's communications director in what reports indicate could be a larger shakeup to White House staff. (Photo: WhiteHouse.gov)
After Just Three Months, Trump's Communications Director Says: I'm Out
Amid larger expected shakeup for White House staff, Mike Dubke said reasons for his early departure are "personal"
President Donald Trump's communications director Mike Dubke confirmed Tuesday morning that he is leaving the White House after barely three months working in the tumultuous and truth-starved administration.
Axios, which first reported Dubke had quit, said his "departure is a reminder of how hard it is for newcomers to thrive in Trumpland." According to Axios, Dubke submitted his resignation on May 18, but agreed to stay until Trump returned from an overseas trip. Reports indicate Tuesday could be his last day, but the White House has yet to make an official announcement.
In confirming his early departure, Dubke told Politico the reasons were "personal," but showered praise on his fellow White House staffers and his time working for Trump.
Though Dubke played a much less public role than figures like Press secretary Sean Spicer and top spokesperson KellyAnn Conway, Dubke's resignation speaks directly to speculation in recent weeks that the communications team was under strain and headed for a shakeup.
MSNBC reported on the developments:
\u201cBREAKING: Trump communications director, Mike Dubke, resigns https://t.co/wZXYCWsotP\u201d— MSNBC (@MSNBC) 1496143913
According to Politico:
Dubke's exit comes as Trump weighs larger staff changes as he tries to contain the deepening scandals related to ties between Russia and his campaign.
Trump, fresh off his foreign trip, returned to Washington this weekend facing not only congressional probes but the investigation of special prosecutor Robert Mueller into possible collusion between Trump's associates and Russia as the Kremlin allegedly tried to tip the election Trump's way.
Beyond Dubke, White House press secretary Sean Spicer is expected to take on a reduced public role, though he is conducting the briefing later on Tuesday. Dubke, who was only on the job for a little over three months, had been a Spicer ally in the White House.
Amid the recent speculation, reports have surfaced that Trump is looking at bringing on former confidantes, including former campaign operative Corey Lewandowski, and possibly FOX News journalists to help with communication strategy for an administration that has lurched from one crisis to the next since Inauguration Day.
An Urgent Message From Our Co-Founder
Dear Common Dreams reader, The U.S. is on a fast track to authoritarianism like nothing I've ever seen. Meanwhile, corporate news outlets are utterly capitulating to Trump, twisting their coverage to avoid drawing his ire while lining up to stuff cash in his pockets. That's why I believe that Common Dreams is doing the best and most consequential reporting that we've ever done. Our small but mighty team is a progressive reporting powerhouse, covering the news every day that the corporate media never will. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. And to ignite change for the common good. Now here's the key piece that I want all our readers to understand: None of this would be possible without your financial support. That's not just some fundraising cliche. It's the absolute and literal truth. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. The final deadline for our crucial Summer Campaign fundraising drive is just days away, and we’re falling short of our must-hit goal. Will you donate now to help power the nonprofit, independent reporting of Common Dreams? Thank you for being a vital member of our community. Together, we can keep independent journalism alive when it’s needed most. - Craig Brown, Co-founder |
President Donald Trump's communications director Mike Dubke confirmed Tuesday morning that he is leaving the White House after barely three months working in the tumultuous and truth-starved administration.
Axios, which first reported Dubke had quit, said his "departure is a reminder of how hard it is for newcomers to thrive in Trumpland." According to Axios, Dubke submitted his resignation on May 18, but agreed to stay until Trump returned from an overseas trip. Reports indicate Tuesday could be his last day, but the White House has yet to make an official announcement.
In confirming his early departure, Dubke told Politico the reasons were "personal," but showered praise on his fellow White House staffers and his time working for Trump.
Though Dubke played a much less public role than figures like Press secretary Sean Spicer and top spokesperson KellyAnn Conway, Dubke's resignation speaks directly to speculation in recent weeks that the communications team was under strain and headed for a shakeup.
MSNBC reported on the developments:
\u201cBREAKING: Trump communications director, Mike Dubke, resigns https://t.co/wZXYCWsotP\u201d— MSNBC (@MSNBC) 1496143913
According to Politico:
Dubke's exit comes as Trump weighs larger staff changes as he tries to contain the deepening scandals related to ties between Russia and his campaign.
Trump, fresh off his foreign trip, returned to Washington this weekend facing not only congressional probes but the investigation of special prosecutor Robert Mueller into possible collusion between Trump's associates and Russia as the Kremlin allegedly tried to tip the election Trump's way.
Beyond Dubke, White House press secretary Sean Spicer is expected to take on a reduced public role, though he is conducting the briefing later on Tuesday. Dubke, who was only on the job for a little over three months, had been a Spicer ally in the White House.
Amid the recent speculation, reports have surfaced that Trump is looking at bringing on former confidantes, including former campaign operative Corey Lewandowski, and possibly FOX News journalists to help with communication strategy for an administration that has lurched from one crisis to the next since Inauguration Day.
President Donald Trump's communications director Mike Dubke confirmed Tuesday morning that he is leaving the White House after barely three months working in the tumultuous and truth-starved administration.
Axios, which first reported Dubke had quit, said his "departure is a reminder of how hard it is for newcomers to thrive in Trumpland." According to Axios, Dubke submitted his resignation on May 18, but agreed to stay until Trump returned from an overseas trip. Reports indicate Tuesday could be his last day, but the White House has yet to make an official announcement.
In confirming his early departure, Dubke told Politico the reasons were "personal," but showered praise on his fellow White House staffers and his time working for Trump.
Though Dubke played a much less public role than figures like Press secretary Sean Spicer and top spokesperson KellyAnn Conway, Dubke's resignation speaks directly to speculation in recent weeks that the communications team was under strain and headed for a shakeup.
MSNBC reported on the developments:
\u201cBREAKING: Trump communications director, Mike Dubke, resigns https://t.co/wZXYCWsotP\u201d— MSNBC (@MSNBC) 1496143913
According to Politico:
Dubke's exit comes as Trump weighs larger staff changes as he tries to contain the deepening scandals related to ties between Russia and his campaign.
Trump, fresh off his foreign trip, returned to Washington this weekend facing not only congressional probes but the investigation of special prosecutor Robert Mueller into possible collusion between Trump's associates and Russia as the Kremlin allegedly tried to tip the election Trump's way.
Beyond Dubke, White House press secretary Sean Spicer is expected to take on a reduced public role, though he is conducting the briefing later on Tuesday. Dubke, who was only on the job for a little over three months, had been a Spicer ally in the White House.
Amid the recent speculation, reports have surfaced that Trump is looking at bringing on former confidantes, including former campaign operative Corey Lewandowski, and possibly FOX News journalists to help with communication strategy for an administration that has lurched from one crisis to the next since Inauguration Day.