Tuesday, April 04, 2017
RESIST DAY #75: What You Can Do Today
Resistance in your community, across the country, and around the globe
Tuesday, April 4, 2017
- Go watch a movie, because today is 1984 Day
Against the backdrop of an increasingly right-wing Donald Trump presidency, movie theaters around the world will screen 1984 on Tuesday, April 4, marking the date George Orwell's protagonist, Winston Smith, begins keeping a secret diary in his first act of rebellion against a totalitarian state.
- Fifty years later, read or listen to Martin Luther King Jr's 'Beyond Vietnam' speech at Riverside Church
It was a half century ago today, on April 4, 1967, that MLK Jr. gave his famous speech in which called the U.S. "the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today" as he railed against imperialism and the Vietnam War
- Tell Sen. Mitch McConnell, Majority Leader of the Republican-controlled Senate, there will be big consequences for going "nuclear" over Neil Gorsuch
Republican leader Mitch McConnell has threatened to change the rules by the end of the week so that only a simple majority vote is needed to approve Gorsuch. Even Republicans describe McConnell's threat as the "nuclear option" because it would destroy the way the Senate works and destroy the possibility of bipartisan cooperation. But if McConnell uses this nuclear option, it's only because he believes that the Democrats are too mild-mannered and too polite to actually make it nuclear. To be blunt: McConnell doesn't believe that our Democratic Senators have the conviction or the stamina to punish him. Today's Daily Action if, one of your Senators has backed the filibuster, is to tell them the fight isn't over yet and they need to go public with their intentions to shut the Senate down if McConnell goes "nuclear."
- Act now and tell your senator (Call 1-844-241-1141) there will be consequences if the senate goes nuclear in the name of appointed this far-right judge to the U.S. Supreme Court
What You Can Be Doing Everyday
- Check out the Indivisible Guide's "Capitol Calendar." See if there's a local Indivisible group in your area. If there isn't, start one.
- 'The Resistance Calendar' also has a running schedule of events and actions.
- Sign up to receive 'Daily Action' on your mobile device
- Every day: Make your voice heard with "5 Calls" (because calling actually works)
- Every Sunday: Join "Ready to Resist" Strategy Calls
- Every Tuesday: #ResistTrumpTuesdays (or on Twitter)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License