

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
Major Alberta tar sands facilities have been shut down and 19 work camps are under a mandatory evacuation order, after weather conditions caused Canada's uncontrolled Fort McMurray wildfire to surge northward on Monday.
The order, which covers about 8,000 people and was issued late Monday evening, came due to the "unpredictable nature" of the fire and the fact that those camps could be isolated if the road was jeopardized, said Scott Long, executive director of the Alberta Emergency Management Agency.
The evacuation zone, stretching about 30 miles north of Fort McMurray to just south of Fort MacKay, included Syncrude and Suncor facilities, along with several smaller operations. As such, the Wall Street Journal reported, the order "is a setback for large oil-sands producers such as industry leader Suncor Energy Inc., which had said last week that it was in the process of planning to resume production at its oil sands sites."
The Edmonton Journal reported after 10pm local time that the wildfire, which began earlier this month, was at that time about nine to 12 miles from the tar sands facilities and was consuming nearly 100 feet of forest per minute.
In total, the fire has spread to more than 702,000 acres due in part to hot, dry weather conditions. About 90,000 people were evacuated from Fort McMurray and the surrounding area in the first week of May and they remain displaced.
The Globe and Mail reports:
Provincial wildfire manager Chad Morrison said on Monday morning there were still thousands of hot spots in and around Fort McMurray and firefighters are expected to be "seriously challenged" in the next several days. Crews have made progress with more than 60 kilometres of fire breaks, he said, but there is still extreme fire behaviour around the western and northern edges of the blaze, as well as the potential for new starts and lightning fires in the hot, dry and windy conditions.
Firefighters were counting on a change in the weather. The area's winds are expected to shift on Tuesday away from the oil sands facilities and towards thick boreal forests to the west.
Meanwhile, also on Monday, Alberta Premier Rachel Notley said extremely poor air quality could also delay efforts to bring residents home again. The air-quality index--based on measurements of three contaminants: smoke, ozone, and nitrogen dioxide--is normally on a scale of one to 10; right now, it's 38.
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
Major Alberta tar sands facilities have been shut down and 19 work camps are under a mandatory evacuation order, after weather conditions caused Canada's uncontrolled Fort McMurray wildfire to surge northward on Monday.
The order, which covers about 8,000 people and was issued late Monday evening, came due to the "unpredictable nature" of the fire and the fact that those camps could be isolated if the road was jeopardized, said Scott Long, executive director of the Alberta Emergency Management Agency.
The evacuation zone, stretching about 30 miles north of Fort McMurray to just south of Fort MacKay, included Syncrude and Suncor facilities, along with several smaller operations. As such, the Wall Street Journal reported, the order "is a setback for large oil-sands producers such as industry leader Suncor Energy Inc., which had said last week that it was in the process of planning to resume production at its oil sands sites."
The Edmonton Journal reported after 10pm local time that the wildfire, which began earlier this month, was at that time about nine to 12 miles from the tar sands facilities and was consuming nearly 100 feet of forest per minute.
In total, the fire has spread to more than 702,000 acres due in part to hot, dry weather conditions. About 90,000 people were evacuated from Fort McMurray and the surrounding area in the first week of May and they remain displaced.
The Globe and Mail reports:
Provincial wildfire manager Chad Morrison said on Monday morning there were still thousands of hot spots in and around Fort McMurray and firefighters are expected to be "seriously challenged" in the next several days. Crews have made progress with more than 60 kilometres of fire breaks, he said, but there is still extreme fire behaviour around the western and northern edges of the blaze, as well as the potential for new starts and lightning fires in the hot, dry and windy conditions.
Firefighters were counting on a change in the weather. The area's winds are expected to shift on Tuesday away from the oil sands facilities and towards thick boreal forests to the west.
Meanwhile, also on Monday, Alberta Premier Rachel Notley said extremely poor air quality could also delay efforts to bring residents home again. The air-quality index--based on measurements of three contaminants: smoke, ozone, and nitrogen dioxide--is normally on a scale of one to 10; right now, it's 38.
Major Alberta tar sands facilities have been shut down and 19 work camps are under a mandatory evacuation order, after weather conditions caused Canada's uncontrolled Fort McMurray wildfire to surge northward on Monday.
The order, which covers about 8,000 people and was issued late Monday evening, came due to the "unpredictable nature" of the fire and the fact that those camps could be isolated if the road was jeopardized, said Scott Long, executive director of the Alberta Emergency Management Agency.
The evacuation zone, stretching about 30 miles north of Fort McMurray to just south of Fort MacKay, included Syncrude and Suncor facilities, along with several smaller operations. As such, the Wall Street Journal reported, the order "is a setback for large oil-sands producers such as industry leader Suncor Energy Inc., which had said last week that it was in the process of planning to resume production at its oil sands sites."
The Edmonton Journal reported after 10pm local time that the wildfire, which began earlier this month, was at that time about nine to 12 miles from the tar sands facilities and was consuming nearly 100 feet of forest per minute.
In total, the fire has spread to more than 702,000 acres due in part to hot, dry weather conditions. About 90,000 people were evacuated from Fort McMurray and the surrounding area in the first week of May and they remain displaced.
The Globe and Mail reports:
Provincial wildfire manager Chad Morrison said on Monday morning there were still thousands of hot spots in and around Fort McMurray and firefighters are expected to be "seriously challenged" in the next several days. Crews have made progress with more than 60 kilometres of fire breaks, he said, but there is still extreme fire behaviour around the western and northern edges of the blaze, as well as the potential for new starts and lightning fires in the hot, dry and windy conditions.
Firefighters were counting on a change in the weather. The area's winds are expected to shift on Tuesday away from the oil sands facilities and towards thick boreal forests to the west.
Meanwhile, also on Monday, Alberta Premier Rachel Notley said extremely poor air quality could also delay efforts to bring residents home again. The air-quality index--based on measurements of three contaminants: smoke, ozone, and nitrogen dioxide--is normally on a scale of one to 10; right now, it's 38.