

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
Republican presidential candidate Scott Walker became the butt of a political joke in New Hampshire on Monday, when an environmental activist tricked the Wisconsin governor into posing with an oversized check for $900 million, made out to Walker and "signed" by the conservative, climate-denying Koch brothers.
Tyler McFarland, a 23-year-old organizer with the group 350 Action, approached Walker at Theo's Pizza & Restaurant in Manchester for a picture while holding a sign that read "Walker 4 president."
However, just as the photo was snapped, McFarland flipped the sign to reveal the $900 million check from the Koch brothers, with the word "Presidency" written on the memo line.
"I'd like to present you with this check from the Koch brothers for climate denial," McFarland told Walker, who reportedly did not engage and chose instead to brush the incident off and continue mingling with actual supporters.
Billionaire brothers Charles and David Koch said earlier this year that they plan to spend approximately $900 million during the 2016 campaign cycle--and that their top choice for the White House was Walker.
And in a piece for The Nation published last week, John Nichols noted that "[a]lthough this preacher's son has developed a reputation for peddling many versions of the truth, Scott Walker never lies to billionaires who write campaign checks."
"We presented Scott Walker with a 900m novelty check from the Koch brothers today, because Scott Walker is the most dangerous candidate on climate change," McFarland told the Guardian on Monday. "As Obama reveals his clean power plant today, we just wanted to highlight the fact that Scott Walker is poised to receive $900m from the Kochs, particularly to continue climate denial and implement disastrous environmental policies."
Of Obama's climate plan, officially unveiled Monday, Walker said: "It will be like a buzz saw on the nation's economy."
According to the 350 Action website, similar "creative actions" featuring young people confronting presidential candidates on climate change and clean energy will take place across New Hampshire this summer.
This isn't the first time Walker's been fooled by pranksters. In 2011, a caller posing as David Koch succeeded in getting Walker on the phone to talk about his budget repair bill, resulting in what the New York Times described as "a lengthy conversation that contained some of his most unguarded comments to date about the standoff with public employees."
Watch footage of Monday's gag below:
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
Republican presidential candidate Scott Walker became the butt of a political joke in New Hampshire on Monday, when an environmental activist tricked the Wisconsin governor into posing with an oversized check for $900 million, made out to Walker and "signed" by the conservative, climate-denying Koch brothers.
Tyler McFarland, a 23-year-old organizer with the group 350 Action, approached Walker at Theo's Pizza & Restaurant in Manchester for a picture while holding a sign that read "Walker 4 president."
However, just as the photo was snapped, McFarland flipped the sign to reveal the $900 million check from the Koch brothers, with the word "Presidency" written on the memo line.
"I'd like to present you with this check from the Koch brothers for climate denial," McFarland told Walker, who reportedly did not engage and chose instead to brush the incident off and continue mingling with actual supporters.
Billionaire brothers Charles and David Koch said earlier this year that they plan to spend approximately $900 million during the 2016 campaign cycle--and that their top choice for the White House was Walker.
And in a piece for The Nation published last week, John Nichols noted that "[a]lthough this preacher's son has developed a reputation for peddling many versions of the truth, Scott Walker never lies to billionaires who write campaign checks."
"We presented Scott Walker with a 900m novelty check from the Koch brothers today, because Scott Walker is the most dangerous candidate on climate change," McFarland told the Guardian on Monday. "As Obama reveals his clean power plant today, we just wanted to highlight the fact that Scott Walker is poised to receive $900m from the Kochs, particularly to continue climate denial and implement disastrous environmental policies."
Of Obama's climate plan, officially unveiled Monday, Walker said: "It will be like a buzz saw on the nation's economy."
According to the 350 Action website, similar "creative actions" featuring young people confronting presidential candidates on climate change and clean energy will take place across New Hampshire this summer.
This isn't the first time Walker's been fooled by pranksters. In 2011, a caller posing as David Koch succeeded in getting Walker on the phone to talk about his budget repair bill, resulting in what the New York Times described as "a lengthy conversation that contained some of his most unguarded comments to date about the standoff with public employees."
Watch footage of Monday's gag below:
Republican presidential candidate Scott Walker became the butt of a political joke in New Hampshire on Monday, when an environmental activist tricked the Wisconsin governor into posing with an oversized check for $900 million, made out to Walker and "signed" by the conservative, climate-denying Koch brothers.
Tyler McFarland, a 23-year-old organizer with the group 350 Action, approached Walker at Theo's Pizza & Restaurant in Manchester for a picture while holding a sign that read "Walker 4 president."
However, just as the photo was snapped, McFarland flipped the sign to reveal the $900 million check from the Koch brothers, with the word "Presidency" written on the memo line.
"I'd like to present you with this check from the Koch brothers for climate denial," McFarland told Walker, who reportedly did not engage and chose instead to brush the incident off and continue mingling with actual supporters.
Billionaire brothers Charles and David Koch said earlier this year that they plan to spend approximately $900 million during the 2016 campaign cycle--and that their top choice for the White House was Walker.
And in a piece for The Nation published last week, John Nichols noted that "[a]lthough this preacher's son has developed a reputation for peddling many versions of the truth, Scott Walker never lies to billionaires who write campaign checks."
"We presented Scott Walker with a 900m novelty check from the Koch brothers today, because Scott Walker is the most dangerous candidate on climate change," McFarland told the Guardian on Monday. "As Obama reveals his clean power plant today, we just wanted to highlight the fact that Scott Walker is poised to receive $900m from the Kochs, particularly to continue climate denial and implement disastrous environmental policies."
Of Obama's climate plan, officially unveiled Monday, Walker said: "It will be like a buzz saw on the nation's economy."
According to the 350 Action website, similar "creative actions" featuring young people confronting presidential candidates on climate change and clean energy will take place across New Hampshire this summer.
This isn't the first time Walker's been fooled by pranksters. In 2011, a caller posing as David Koch succeeded in getting Walker on the phone to talk about his budget repair bill, resulting in what the New York Times described as "a lengthy conversation that contained some of his most unguarded comments to date about the standoff with public employees."
Watch footage of Monday's gag below: