

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
In what the Philadelphia teachers' union is describing as "a victory for collective bargaining," the Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court ruled Thursday that the School Reform Commission (SRC) does not have the power to cancel union contracts, as it abruptly did last fall.
On October 6, 2014, the SRC voted to terminate the teachers' contract and unilaterally impose new health care provisions on the union's 10,000 members. The Philadelphia Federation of Teachers (PFT) was given no advance word of the action, which district officials said would free up an additional $50 million for severely underfunded schools. The action was set to go into effect on December 15, but the union won an injunction against the SRC.
At the time, the PFT's Caucus of Working Educators described the Commission's actions as "not really about funding. This is an attempt to dismantle the union that defends public education in Philadelphia." Student and teacher protests and walk-outs took place in the wake of the SRC's decision.
In its ruling (pdf), the court stated that "[t]he requisite authority of the SRC to cancel a [collective bargaining agreement] and unilaterally impose new terms and conditions of employment is not present in the relevant statutory provisions," unless negotiations reach a formal impasse. While contract negotiations had dragged on for nearly two years in October and the two sides were still far apart, neither party had declared a stalemate.
"Today's decision is a victory for collective bargaining and the notion that contracts between parties should be negotiated, not imposed," PFT President Jerry Jordan said in a statement. "The PFT is calling on the school district to immediately resume bargaining sessions with the union. It's time to redirect the energy and resources wasted on litigation to negotiating a contract that will ensure our schoolchildren and educators are given the best possible tools for teaching and learning."
The Philadelphia Inquirer reports:
Absent state Supreme Court action reversing the decision, the district would be in an $80 million hole for next school year and at least that every year going forward, Green said, since fixed costs are rising more rapidly than revenue. The district already was facing a deficit of about $30 million in the next fiscal year.
School District spokesman Fernando Gallard said that if the ruling stands, the $15 million advanced to schools after the PFT contract was canceled might also have to be made up through cuts this school year.
District chairman Bill Green told the Inquirer that the SRC and its attorneys had not yet decided whether to appeal the ruling, but that some action could come next week. So far, no new face-to-face contract negotiations have been scheduled.
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
In what the Philadelphia teachers' union is describing as "a victory for collective bargaining," the Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court ruled Thursday that the School Reform Commission (SRC) does not have the power to cancel union contracts, as it abruptly did last fall.
On October 6, 2014, the SRC voted to terminate the teachers' contract and unilaterally impose new health care provisions on the union's 10,000 members. The Philadelphia Federation of Teachers (PFT) was given no advance word of the action, which district officials said would free up an additional $50 million for severely underfunded schools. The action was set to go into effect on December 15, but the union won an injunction against the SRC.
At the time, the PFT's Caucus of Working Educators described the Commission's actions as "not really about funding. This is an attempt to dismantle the union that defends public education in Philadelphia." Student and teacher protests and walk-outs took place in the wake of the SRC's decision.
In its ruling (pdf), the court stated that "[t]he requisite authority of the SRC to cancel a [collective bargaining agreement] and unilaterally impose new terms and conditions of employment is not present in the relevant statutory provisions," unless negotiations reach a formal impasse. While contract negotiations had dragged on for nearly two years in October and the two sides were still far apart, neither party had declared a stalemate.
"Today's decision is a victory for collective bargaining and the notion that contracts between parties should be negotiated, not imposed," PFT President Jerry Jordan said in a statement. "The PFT is calling on the school district to immediately resume bargaining sessions with the union. It's time to redirect the energy and resources wasted on litigation to negotiating a contract that will ensure our schoolchildren and educators are given the best possible tools for teaching and learning."
The Philadelphia Inquirer reports:
Absent state Supreme Court action reversing the decision, the district would be in an $80 million hole for next school year and at least that every year going forward, Green said, since fixed costs are rising more rapidly than revenue. The district already was facing a deficit of about $30 million in the next fiscal year.
School District spokesman Fernando Gallard said that if the ruling stands, the $15 million advanced to schools after the PFT contract was canceled might also have to be made up through cuts this school year.
District chairman Bill Green told the Inquirer that the SRC and its attorneys had not yet decided whether to appeal the ruling, but that some action could come next week. So far, no new face-to-face contract negotiations have been scheduled.
In what the Philadelphia teachers' union is describing as "a victory for collective bargaining," the Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court ruled Thursday that the School Reform Commission (SRC) does not have the power to cancel union contracts, as it abruptly did last fall.
On October 6, 2014, the SRC voted to terminate the teachers' contract and unilaterally impose new health care provisions on the union's 10,000 members. The Philadelphia Federation of Teachers (PFT) was given no advance word of the action, which district officials said would free up an additional $50 million for severely underfunded schools. The action was set to go into effect on December 15, but the union won an injunction against the SRC.
At the time, the PFT's Caucus of Working Educators described the Commission's actions as "not really about funding. This is an attempt to dismantle the union that defends public education in Philadelphia." Student and teacher protests and walk-outs took place in the wake of the SRC's decision.
In its ruling (pdf), the court stated that "[t]he requisite authority of the SRC to cancel a [collective bargaining agreement] and unilaterally impose new terms and conditions of employment is not present in the relevant statutory provisions," unless negotiations reach a formal impasse. While contract negotiations had dragged on for nearly two years in October and the two sides were still far apart, neither party had declared a stalemate.
"Today's decision is a victory for collective bargaining and the notion that contracts between parties should be negotiated, not imposed," PFT President Jerry Jordan said in a statement. "The PFT is calling on the school district to immediately resume bargaining sessions with the union. It's time to redirect the energy and resources wasted on litigation to negotiating a contract that will ensure our schoolchildren and educators are given the best possible tools for teaching and learning."
The Philadelphia Inquirer reports:
Absent state Supreme Court action reversing the decision, the district would be in an $80 million hole for next school year and at least that every year going forward, Green said, since fixed costs are rising more rapidly than revenue. The district already was facing a deficit of about $30 million in the next fiscal year.
School District spokesman Fernando Gallard said that if the ruling stands, the $15 million advanced to schools after the PFT contract was canceled might also have to be made up through cuts this school year.
District chairman Bill Green told the Inquirer that the SRC and its attorneys had not yet decided whether to appeal the ruling, but that some action could come next week. So far, no new face-to-face contract negotiations have been scheduled.