
Photo: Witness Against Torture
More Evidence Guantanamo Will Be Open Indefinitely
NYT: US requested $49 million for new facility for 'special detainees' at detention center
Death is increasingly looking like the only way out for detainees at the Guantanamo Bay prison.
Charlie Savage reports in the New York Times on Friday:
The United States Southern Command [SouthCom] has requested $49 million to build a new prison building at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, for "special" detainees on top of other renovations it says are necessary since Congress has decided to keep it open indefinitely.
That $49 million is in addition to other multi-million dollar renovations at Guantanamo SouthCom listed as "necessary if the prison was to remain open for the indefinite future," Savage reports.
Despite signing an executive order to close the detention facility by January 2010, the new Obama administration "has actually abolished the office to close Guantanamo," and now "there's not even a person at the State Department trying to close it," said attorney Michael Ratner, President Emeritus at the Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR) and Chair of the European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights, speaking to the Real News earlier this week.
Explaining why Guantanamo remains open, Ratner blamed President Obama's weakness, congressional hurdles put in place by requiring a certification on detainees to be cleared, which Obama has not signed, and Obama's moratorium on sending people to Yemen.
There are 166 detainees, 86 of whom have been cleared for release, and 56 of those are from Yemen, said Ratner.
On this injustice, Ratner says "we should be screaming."
In an effort to bring attention to their indefinite detention and the deplorable conditions at the prison, a number of detainees have been on a hunger strike. While U.S. officials say the number of hunger strikers is 24, CCR attorney Omar Farah said the number may be far higher, with nearly 130 prisoners in Camp 6 and roughly 20 in Camp 5 on hunger strike.
____________________________
An Urgent Message From Our Co-Founder
Dear Common Dreams reader, The U.S. is on a fast track to authoritarianism like nothing I've ever seen. Meanwhile, corporate news outlets are utterly capitulating to Trump, twisting their coverage to avoid drawing his ire while lining up to stuff cash in his pockets. That's why I believe that Common Dreams is doing the best and most consequential reporting that we've ever done. Our small but mighty team is a progressive reporting powerhouse, covering the news every day that the corporate media never will. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. And to ignite change for the common good. Now here's the key piece that I want all our readers to understand: None of this would be possible without your financial support. That's not just some fundraising cliche. It's the absolute and literal truth. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. The final deadline for our crucial Summer Campaign fundraising drive is just days away, and we’re falling short of our must-hit goal. Will you donate now to help power the nonprofit, independent reporting of Common Dreams? Thank you for being a vital member of our community. Together, we can keep independent journalism alive when it’s needed most. - Craig Brown, Co-founder |
Death is increasingly looking like the only way out for detainees at the Guantanamo Bay prison.
Charlie Savage reports in the New York Times on Friday:
The United States Southern Command [SouthCom] has requested $49 million to build a new prison building at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, for "special" detainees on top of other renovations it says are necessary since Congress has decided to keep it open indefinitely.
That $49 million is in addition to other multi-million dollar renovations at Guantanamo SouthCom listed as "necessary if the prison was to remain open for the indefinite future," Savage reports.
Despite signing an executive order to close the detention facility by January 2010, the new Obama administration "has actually abolished the office to close Guantanamo," and now "there's not even a person at the State Department trying to close it," said attorney Michael Ratner, President Emeritus at the Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR) and Chair of the European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights, speaking to the Real News earlier this week.
Explaining why Guantanamo remains open, Ratner blamed President Obama's weakness, congressional hurdles put in place by requiring a certification on detainees to be cleared, which Obama has not signed, and Obama's moratorium on sending people to Yemen.
There are 166 detainees, 86 of whom have been cleared for release, and 56 of those are from Yemen, said Ratner.
On this injustice, Ratner says "we should be screaming."
In an effort to bring attention to their indefinite detention and the deplorable conditions at the prison, a number of detainees have been on a hunger strike. While U.S. officials say the number of hunger strikers is 24, CCR attorney Omar Farah said the number may be far higher, with nearly 130 prisoners in Camp 6 and roughly 20 in Camp 5 on hunger strike.
____________________________
Death is increasingly looking like the only way out for detainees at the Guantanamo Bay prison.
Charlie Savage reports in the New York Times on Friday:
The United States Southern Command [SouthCom] has requested $49 million to build a new prison building at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, for "special" detainees on top of other renovations it says are necessary since Congress has decided to keep it open indefinitely.
That $49 million is in addition to other multi-million dollar renovations at Guantanamo SouthCom listed as "necessary if the prison was to remain open for the indefinite future," Savage reports.
Despite signing an executive order to close the detention facility by January 2010, the new Obama administration "has actually abolished the office to close Guantanamo," and now "there's not even a person at the State Department trying to close it," said attorney Michael Ratner, President Emeritus at the Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR) and Chair of the European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights, speaking to the Real News earlier this week.
Explaining why Guantanamo remains open, Ratner blamed President Obama's weakness, congressional hurdles put in place by requiring a certification on detainees to be cleared, which Obama has not signed, and Obama's moratorium on sending people to Yemen.
There are 166 detainees, 86 of whom have been cleared for release, and 56 of those are from Yemen, said Ratner.
On this injustice, Ratner says "we should be screaming."
In an effort to bring attention to their indefinite detention and the deplorable conditions at the prison, a number of detainees have been on a hunger strike. While U.S. officials say the number of hunger strikers is 24, CCR attorney Omar Farah said the number may be far higher, with nearly 130 prisoners in Camp 6 and roughly 20 in Camp 5 on hunger strike.
____________________________