

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.

A reporter with One America News Network works at a campaign rally with President Donald Trump at Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport in Virginia on September 25, 2020. (Photo: Drew Angerer/Getty Images)
A Wednesday Reuters report based on court records revealed the role that telecommunications giant AT&T played in creating and funding One America News, a far-right network infamous for peddling lies and conspiracy theories on crucial topics, from the 2020 U.S. election to Covid-19.
"AT&T told us... they wanted a conservative network."
The network, known as OAN, thrived thanks to former President Donald Trump, who directed his Twitter followers there at least 120 times, according to the report. OAN--which began covering Trump rallies in 2015 before some outlets treated his White House run seriously--saw its audience spike in November, after Fox New declared then-Democratic candidate Joe Biden the winner of the 2020 presidential contest.
OAN is owned and operated by Robert Herring Sr. and his sons--who declined Reuters' interview requests--as a subsidiary of their San Diego-based Herring Networks. Herring said in a 2019 deposition for a labor suit that he launched OAN six years earlier "to make money, number one... But number two, is that AT&T told us... they wanted a conservative network."
"They only had one, which was Fox News, and they had seven others on the other [left-wing] side. When they said that, I jumped to it and built on," Herring, OAN's founder and chief executive, explained of Dallas-based AT&T, the world's largest communications company.
According to Reuters, which reviewed state and federal court records:
Since then, AT&T has been a crucial source of funds flowing into OAN, providing tens of millions of dollars in revenue, court records show. Ninety percent of OAN's revenue came from a contract with AT&T-owned television platforms, including satellite broadcaster DirecTV, according to 2020 sworn testimony by an OAN accountant.
Last year, when a labor lawsuit went to trial, OAN lawyer Patrick Nellies told the court that "if Herring Networks, for instance, was to lose or not be renewed on DirecTV, the company would go out of business tomorrow."
The Federal Communications Commission, under former President Barack Obama, approved AT&T's takeover of DirecTV in July 2015. In an affidavit, Charles Herring swears he struck a deal with an AT&T executive that if the Herrings lobbied federal regulators about the acquisition, AT&T would air OAN and another network owned by the family on DirecTV and U-verse.
While AT&T denied in court filings such a deal was made and a spokesperson for the company told Reuters that "support for the merger was never a condition of or part of any content agreement," the Herrings sued the company over it in 2016. The next year, the case was settled on undisclosed terms and the two Herring networks began appearing on DirecTV.
In a series of tweets about the reporting on Wednesday, The Week's Ryan Cooper said that "at a minimum this news should prompt a review of the Obama [administration] decision to approve the AT&T/DirecTV merger, and in general aggressive media antitrust."
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
A Wednesday Reuters report based on court records revealed the role that telecommunications giant AT&T played in creating and funding One America News, a far-right network infamous for peddling lies and conspiracy theories on crucial topics, from the 2020 U.S. election to Covid-19.
"AT&T told us... they wanted a conservative network."
The network, known as OAN, thrived thanks to former President Donald Trump, who directed his Twitter followers there at least 120 times, according to the report. OAN--which began covering Trump rallies in 2015 before some outlets treated his White House run seriously--saw its audience spike in November, after Fox New declared then-Democratic candidate Joe Biden the winner of the 2020 presidential contest.
OAN is owned and operated by Robert Herring Sr. and his sons--who declined Reuters' interview requests--as a subsidiary of their San Diego-based Herring Networks. Herring said in a 2019 deposition for a labor suit that he launched OAN six years earlier "to make money, number one... But number two, is that AT&T told us... they wanted a conservative network."
"They only had one, which was Fox News, and they had seven others on the other [left-wing] side. When they said that, I jumped to it and built on," Herring, OAN's founder and chief executive, explained of Dallas-based AT&T, the world's largest communications company.
According to Reuters, which reviewed state and federal court records:
Since then, AT&T has been a crucial source of funds flowing into OAN, providing tens of millions of dollars in revenue, court records show. Ninety percent of OAN's revenue came from a contract with AT&T-owned television platforms, including satellite broadcaster DirecTV, according to 2020 sworn testimony by an OAN accountant.
Last year, when a labor lawsuit went to trial, OAN lawyer Patrick Nellies told the court that "if Herring Networks, for instance, was to lose or not be renewed on DirecTV, the company would go out of business tomorrow."
The Federal Communications Commission, under former President Barack Obama, approved AT&T's takeover of DirecTV in July 2015. In an affidavit, Charles Herring swears he struck a deal with an AT&T executive that if the Herrings lobbied federal regulators about the acquisition, AT&T would air OAN and another network owned by the family on DirecTV and U-verse.
While AT&T denied in court filings such a deal was made and a spokesperson for the company told Reuters that "support for the merger was never a condition of or part of any content agreement," the Herrings sued the company over it in 2016. The next year, the case was settled on undisclosed terms and the two Herring networks began appearing on DirecTV.
In a series of tweets about the reporting on Wednesday, The Week's Ryan Cooper said that "at a minimum this news should prompt a review of the Obama [administration] decision to approve the AT&T/DirecTV merger, and in general aggressive media antitrust."
A Wednesday Reuters report based on court records revealed the role that telecommunications giant AT&T played in creating and funding One America News, a far-right network infamous for peddling lies and conspiracy theories on crucial topics, from the 2020 U.S. election to Covid-19.
"AT&T told us... they wanted a conservative network."
The network, known as OAN, thrived thanks to former President Donald Trump, who directed his Twitter followers there at least 120 times, according to the report. OAN--which began covering Trump rallies in 2015 before some outlets treated his White House run seriously--saw its audience spike in November, after Fox New declared then-Democratic candidate Joe Biden the winner of the 2020 presidential contest.
OAN is owned and operated by Robert Herring Sr. and his sons--who declined Reuters' interview requests--as a subsidiary of their San Diego-based Herring Networks. Herring said in a 2019 deposition for a labor suit that he launched OAN six years earlier "to make money, number one... But number two, is that AT&T told us... they wanted a conservative network."
"They only had one, which was Fox News, and they had seven others on the other [left-wing] side. When they said that, I jumped to it and built on," Herring, OAN's founder and chief executive, explained of Dallas-based AT&T, the world's largest communications company.
According to Reuters, which reviewed state and federal court records:
Since then, AT&T has been a crucial source of funds flowing into OAN, providing tens of millions of dollars in revenue, court records show. Ninety percent of OAN's revenue came from a contract with AT&T-owned television platforms, including satellite broadcaster DirecTV, according to 2020 sworn testimony by an OAN accountant.
Last year, when a labor lawsuit went to trial, OAN lawyer Patrick Nellies told the court that "if Herring Networks, for instance, was to lose or not be renewed on DirecTV, the company would go out of business tomorrow."
The Federal Communications Commission, under former President Barack Obama, approved AT&T's takeover of DirecTV in July 2015. In an affidavit, Charles Herring swears he struck a deal with an AT&T executive that if the Herrings lobbied federal regulators about the acquisition, AT&T would air OAN and another network owned by the family on DirecTV and U-verse.
While AT&T denied in court filings such a deal was made and a spokesperson for the company told Reuters that "support for the merger was never a condition of or part of any content agreement," the Herrings sued the company over it in 2016. The next year, the case was settled on undisclosed terms and the two Herring networks began appearing on DirecTV.
In a series of tweets about the reporting on Wednesday, The Week's Ryan Cooper said that "at a minimum this news should prompt a review of the Obama [administration] decision to approve the AT&T/DirecTV merger, and in general aggressive media antitrust."