

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.

The body of Sgt. La David Johnson arrives at Miami International Airport on Tuesday. "This man is a sick man. He's cold-hearted, and he feels no pity or sympathy for anyone," said Rep. Frederica Wilson (D-Fla.) of President Trump's comments to the Johnson's widow. (Image: Screenshot via WPLG)
The mother of U.S. Army Sgt. La David Johnson--a soldier who was killed in an ambush in Niger earlier this month--has confirmed reports that President Donald Trump said her son "knew what he signed up for" when talking to Johnson's widow, a comment which sparked outrage after it was first relayed to the media by Rep. Frederica Wilson (D-Fla.).
"President Trump did disrespect my son and my daughter and also me and my husband."
--Cowanda Jones-Johnson, Sgt. Johnson's mother
Wilson said she heard Trump's comment as she rode with Sgt. Johnson's widow Myeshia to the Miami International Airport, where Johnson's casket arrived late Tuesday. The reported comment immediately sparked a firestorm of condemnation on social media, with critics calling the remark "repulsive" and "detestable."
Wilson told the Washington Post that she wanted to "curse [Trump] out" when she heard his comment, which she said made Myeshia Johnson cry.
When the Post asked Sgt. Johnson's mother, Cowanda Jones-Johnson, who was also in the car during the phone conversation, if Wilson's account was accurate, she simply replied: "Yes."
"President Trump did disrespect my son and my daughter and also me and my husband," she added.
The White House initially refused to confirm or deny the story, but Trump took to Twitter early Wednesday to claim that the Florida congresswoman "totally fabricated" the story, adding that he has "proof."
Wilson fired back shortly after Trump's tweet in an appearance on CNN, saying that she also has proof. Wilson went on to say that Myeshia Johnson turned to her after the phone conversation with Trump ended and said "he didn't even know his name."
"Now that's the worst part," Wilson said. "This man is a sick man. He's cold-hearted, and he feels no pity or sympathy for anyone."
Watch Wilson's CNN interview:
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
The mother of U.S. Army Sgt. La David Johnson--a soldier who was killed in an ambush in Niger earlier this month--has confirmed reports that President Donald Trump said her son "knew what he signed up for" when talking to Johnson's widow, a comment which sparked outrage after it was first relayed to the media by Rep. Frederica Wilson (D-Fla.).
"President Trump did disrespect my son and my daughter and also me and my husband."
--Cowanda Jones-Johnson, Sgt. Johnson's mother
Wilson said she heard Trump's comment as she rode with Sgt. Johnson's widow Myeshia to the Miami International Airport, where Johnson's casket arrived late Tuesday. The reported comment immediately sparked a firestorm of condemnation on social media, with critics calling the remark "repulsive" and "detestable."
Wilson told the Washington Post that she wanted to "curse [Trump] out" when she heard his comment, which she said made Myeshia Johnson cry.
When the Post asked Sgt. Johnson's mother, Cowanda Jones-Johnson, who was also in the car during the phone conversation, if Wilson's account was accurate, she simply replied: "Yes."
"President Trump did disrespect my son and my daughter and also me and my husband," she added.
The White House initially refused to confirm or deny the story, but Trump took to Twitter early Wednesday to claim that the Florida congresswoman "totally fabricated" the story, adding that he has "proof."
Wilson fired back shortly after Trump's tweet in an appearance on CNN, saying that she also has proof. Wilson went on to say that Myeshia Johnson turned to her after the phone conversation with Trump ended and said "he didn't even know his name."
"Now that's the worst part," Wilson said. "This man is a sick man. He's cold-hearted, and he feels no pity or sympathy for anyone."
Watch Wilson's CNN interview:
The mother of U.S. Army Sgt. La David Johnson--a soldier who was killed in an ambush in Niger earlier this month--has confirmed reports that President Donald Trump said her son "knew what he signed up for" when talking to Johnson's widow, a comment which sparked outrage after it was first relayed to the media by Rep. Frederica Wilson (D-Fla.).
"President Trump did disrespect my son and my daughter and also me and my husband."
--Cowanda Jones-Johnson, Sgt. Johnson's mother
Wilson said she heard Trump's comment as she rode with Sgt. Johnson's widow Myeshia to the Miami International Airport, where Johnson's casket arrived late Tuesday. The reported comment immediately sparked a firestorm of condemnation on social media, with critics calling the remark "repulsive" and "detestable."
Wilson told the Washington Post that she wanted to "curse [Trump] out" when she heard his comment, which she said made Myeshia Johnson cry.
When the Post asked Sgt. Johnson's mother, Cowanda Jones-Johnson, who was also in the car during the phone conversation, if Wilson's account was accurate, she simply replied: "Yes."
"President Trump did disrespect my son and my daughter and also me and my husband," she added.
The White House initially refused to confirm or deny the story, but Trump took to Twitter early Wednesday to claim that the Florida congresswoman "totally fabricated" the story, adding that he has "proof."
Wilson fired back shortly after Trump's tweet in an appearance on CNN, saying that she also has proof. Wilson went on to say that Myeshia Johnson turned to her after the phone conversation with Trump ended and said "he didn't even know his name."
"Now that's the worst part," Wilson said. "This man is a sick man. He's cold-hearted, and he feels no pity or sympathy for anyone."
Watch Wilson's CNN interview: