SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
Energy Secretary Rick Perry reportedly pushed for fossil fuel interests to be included in the statement--and his inability to commit showed the U.S.'s isolation at the meeting. (Photo: Gage Skidmore/flickr/cc)
Nations attending the Group of 7 (G7) conference in Italy were unable to put out a joint statement on climate change this week because of the Trump administration's foot-dragging on environmental policies, particularly its commitment to the Paris agreement, Reutersreported Monday.
President Donald Trump signed an order last month undoing climate regulations drawn up under former President Barack Obama, particularly the Clean Power Plan (CPP), which required states to lower their carbon emissions and was a key policy in helping the U.S. meet its goals under the climate agreement.
At the conference in Rome on Monday, Italian industry and energy minister Carlo Calenda confirmed that had caused the G7's delay in releasing a statement.
"While this is under way the United States reserves its position on these key priorities," he said. "It was not possible to sign a joint declaration since it would not cover the whole range of topics in the agenda."
A source close to the G7 talks also told Reuters that Energy Secretary Rick Perry had pushed for fossil fuel interests to be included in the statement--and that his inability to commit showed the U.S.'s increasing isolation as global nations step up the fight against climate change.
Miguel Arias Canete, the European Union's energy and climate commissioner, tweeted Monday that "while some review their climate and clean energy policies, most of us move forward and implement them in line with [the] Paris agreement."
\u201c#G7energy: while some review their climate and clean energy policies, most of us move forward and implement them in line w/ #ParisAgreement\u201d— Miguel Arias Ca\u00f1ete (@Miguel Arias Ca\u00f1ete) 1491834368
Trump and Musk are on an unconstitutional rampage, aiming for virtually every corner of the federal government. These two right-wing billionaires are targeting nurses, scientists, teachers, daycare providers, judges, veterans, air traffic controllers, and nuclear safety inspectors. No one is safe. The food stamps program, Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid are next. It’s an unprecedented disaster and a five-alarm fire, but there will be a reckoning. The people did not vote for this. The American people do not want this dystopian hellscape that hides behind claims of “efficiency.” Still, in reality, it is all a giveaway to corporate interests and the libertarian dreams of far-right oligarchs like Musk. Common Dreams is playing a vital role by reporting day and night on this orgy of corruption and greed, as well as what everyday people can do to organize and fight back. As a people-powered nonprofit news outlet, we cover issues the corporate media never will, but we can only continue with our readers’ support. |
Nations attending the Group of 7 (G7) conference in Italy were unable to put out a joint statement on climate change this week because of the Trump administration's foot-dragging on environmental policies, particularly its commitment to the Paris agreement, Reutersreported Monday.
President Donald Trump signed an order last month undoing climate regulations drawn up under former President Barack Obama, particularly the Clean Power Plan (CPP), which required states to lower their carbon emissions and was a key policy in helping the U.S. meet its goals under the climate agreement.
At the conference in Rome on Monday, Italian industry and energy minister Carlo Calenda confirmed that had caused the G7's delay in releasing a statement.
"While this is under way the United States reserves its position on these key priorities," he said. "It was not possible to sign a joint declaration since it would not cover the whole range of topics in the agenda."
A source close to the G7 talks also told Reuters that Energy Secretary Rick Perry had pushed for fossil fuel interests to be included in the statement--and that his inability to commit showed the U.S.'s increasing isolation as global nations step up the fight against climate change.
Miguel Arias Canete, the European Union's energy and climate commissioner, tweeted Monday that "while some review their climate and clean energy policies, most of us move forward and implement them in line with [the] Paris agreement."
\u201c#G7energy: while some review their climate and clean energy policies, most of us move forward and implement them in line w/ #ParisAgreement\u201d— Miguel Arias Ca\u00f1ete (@Miguel Arias Ca\u00f1ete) 1491834368
Nations attending the Group of 7 (G7) conference in Italy were unable to put out a joint statement on climate change this week because of the Trump administration's foot-dragging on environmental policies, particularly its commitment to the Paris agreement, Reutersreported Monday.
President Donald Trump signed an order last month undoing climate regulations drawn up under former President Barack Obama, particularly the Clean Power Plan (CPP), which required states to lower their carbon emissions and was a key policy in helping the U.S. meet its goals under the climate agreement.
At the conference in Rome on Monday, Italian industry and energy minister Carlo Calenda confirmed that had caused the G7's delay in releasing a statement.
"While this is under way the United States reserves its position on these key priorities," he said. "It was not possible to sign a joint declaration since it would not cover the whole range of topics in the agenda."
A source close to the G7 talks also told Reuters that Energy Secretary Rick Perry had pushed for fossil fuel interests to be included in the statement--and that his inability to commit showed the U.S.'s increasing isolation as global nations step up the fight against climate change.
Miguel Arias Canete, the European Union's energy and climate commissioner, tweeted Monday that "while some review their climate and clean energy policies, most of us move forward and implement them in line with [the] Paris agreement."
\u201c#G7energy: while some review their climate and clean energy policies, most of us move forward and implement them in line w/ #ParisAgreement\u201d— Miguel Arias Ca\u00f1ete (@Miguel Arias Ca\u00f1ete) 1491834368