Survey #1 of Our Readers: 41.7% for Hillary Clinton, 33.4% for Jill Stein, 13.4% Would Write-In Bernie
Over 80% supported Bernie Sanders during the primary.
Hillary Clinton has just an 8-point lead over Jill Stein in an Aug. 3-5 survey of Common Dreams' US readers who are likely to vote in the November election. While the Democratic Party nominee is favored by 41.7 percent, support for the Green Party candidate sits at 33.4 percent. And, 13.4 percent would still write-in Bernie Sanders name.
The survey also found that while over 80 percent of the 11,449 respondents were Bernie Sanders supporters during the primary, the majority of them are not yet ready to support Clinton in the general election. Only 40.7 percent say they are now planning to vote for Clinton; 32.2 percent for Stein; 16.6 percent will write-in Sanders and 8.1 percent are undecided.
- If the presidential election were held today, here's how our readers would vote: Hillary Clinton 41.7%, Jill Stein 33.4%, Write In: Bernie Sanders 13.4%, Undecided 6.5%, Donald Trump 2.4%, Gary Johnson 0.8%, Write In: Others 1.8%
- During the nomination campaign, over 80% of our readers were Bernie Sanders supporters, while only 11.32% supported Hillary Clinton and 4.7% supported Jill Stein. Now, of the 9,188 Sanders' supporters responding, only 40.7% say they will follow Senator Sanders lead and vote for Hillary Clinton.
- Among the 2,893 survey respondents who will vote in the 11 key swing states (Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Wisconsin), Clinton's lead over Stein grows to 15%: with Clinton at 45.4% to Stein at 30.2%.
- 73.5% of our readers think the US is on the wrong track; 13.3% think the US is moving in the right direction and 13.1% are undecided.
- President Obama's job performance? 31.3% approve; 49.8% disapprove and 18.9% are undecided.
- Democrats make up 62.3% of our readers, unenrolled independents at 24.6% followed by Greens at 9.0%, "Other Party" at 2.3%, Republicans at 1.5% and Libertarians at .3%.
- Our readers are slightly more female 53%-46%; mostly older - 77% are 50 or older; and very well-educated - 75% have a college degree; 35% have Master's degrees or higher.
This survey of Common Dreams' US readers was conducted August 3-5, 2016. Common Dreams will repeat this survey of our readership: Sept. 7-9 and Nov. 2-5. Election Day is November 8, 2016.
Chart 1: Who did you support during nominating process?
Chart 2: 80% of respondents were Bernie Sanders supporters: Where are they moving to?
9,188 out of the 11,449 respondents supported Bernie Sanders in the nominating process. This is how they would vote if the election were today:
Chart 3: Swing State voters
2,893 of our 11,449 respondents say they will vote in the 11 key swing states in the Presidential election. (Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Wisconsin)
Chart 4 and 5: Political Identification
Chart 6: Right Direction or Wrong track?
Chart 7: President Obama's Job Performance
Chart 8, 9 & 10: Demographics
# # #