

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
Former President George W. Bush is attracting a flurry of renewed criticism after revelations surfaced this week that he charged a charity for severely wounded veterans of the so-called War on Terror $100,000 in speaking fees.
"Bush led the military into the illegal and immoral invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan and failed to fund and prepare the Department of Veterans Affairs to care for those he sent to war," Maggie Martin, Iraq veteran and organizer with Iraq Veterans Against the War, told Common Dreams. "It's shameful that the former Commander in Chief would profit from funds intended to help struggling veterans."
ABC News revealed Wednesday that, in 2012, Bush charged the Texas-based charity Helping a Hero the steep fee. The organization says its mission is to help "severely wounded veterans returning from service in the War on Terror, primarily by partnering with the wounded hero to provide specially adapted homes to reintegrate them into their community."
In addition to the speaking fee, the group paid $20,000 for Bush's travel to Houston by jet. Just a year before, in 2011, Laura Bush was paid $50,000 for an appearance with the group.
The charity told ABC that the expenditures were justified because Bush helped the group raise money and charged an allegedly discounted fee.
But the latter claim is contradicted by a report last month by Politico which indicates that the price of $100,000 is on par with the former president's speaking fee during that time.
Former marine Eddie Wright, who lost both of his hands in Fallujah, Iraq in 2004 and formerly served on the board of Helping a Hero, told ABC that the fee is "kind of a slap in the face."
"For him to be paid to raise money for veterans that were wounded in combat under his orders, I don't think that's right," said Wright. "You sent me to war."
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
Former President George W. Bush is attracting a flurry of renewed criticism after revelations surfaced this week that he charged a charity for severely wounded veterans of the so-called War on Terror $100,000 in speaking fees.
"Bush led the military into the illegal and immoral invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan and failed to fund and prepare the Department of Veterans Affairs to care for those he sent to war," Maggie Martin, Iraq veteran and organizer with Iraq Veterans Against the War, told Common Dreams. "It's shameful that the former Commander in Chief would profit from funds intended to help struggling veterans."
ABC News revealed Wednesday that, in 2012, Bush charged the Texas-based charity Helping a Hero the steep fee. The organization says its mission is to help "severely wounded veterans returning from service in the War on Terror, primarily by partnering with the wounded hero to provide specially adapted homes to reintegrate them into their community."
In addition to the speaking fee, the group paid $20,000 for Bush's travel to Houston by jet. Just a year before, in 2011, Laura Bush was paid $50,000 for an appearance with the group.
The charity told ABC that the expenditures were justified because Bush helped the group raise money and charged an allegedly discounted fee.
But the latter claim is contradicted by a report last month by Politico which indicates that the price of $100,000 is on par with the former president's speaking fee during that time.
Former marine Eddie Wright, who lost both of his hands in Fallujah, Iraq in 2004 and formerly served on the board of Helping a Hero, told ABC that the fee is "kind of a slap in the face."
"For him to be paid to raise money for veterans that were wounded in combat under his orders, I don't think that's right," said Wright. "You sent me to war."
Former President George W. Bush is attracting a flurry of renewed criticism after revelations surfaced this week that he charged a charity for severely wounded veterans of the so-called War on Terror $100,000 in speaking fees.
"Bush led the military into the illegal and immoral invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan and failed to fund and prepare the Department of Veterans Affairs to care for those he sent to war," Maggie Martin, Iraq veteran and organizer with Iraq Veterans Against the War, told Common Dreams. "It's shameful that the former Commander in Chief would profit from funds intended to help struggling veterans."
ABC News revealed Wednesday that, in 2012, Bush charged the Texas-based charity Helping a Hero the steep fee. The organization says its mission is to help "severely wounded veterans returning from service in the War on Terror, primarily by partnering with the wounded hero to provide specially adapted homes to reintegrate them into their community."
In addition to the speaking fee, the group paid $20,000 for Bush's travel to Houston by jet. Just a year before, in 2011, Laura Bush was paid $50,000 for an appearance with the group.
The charity told ABC that the expenditures were justified because Bush helped the group raise money and charged an allegedly discounted fee.
But the latter claim is contradicted by a report last month by Politico which indicates that the price of $100,000 is on par with the former president's speaking fee during that time.
Former marine Eddie Wright, who lost both of his hands in Fallujah, Iraq in 2004 and formerly served on the board of Helping a Hero, told ABC that the fee is "kind of a slap in the face."
"For him to be paid to raise money for veterans that were wounded in combat under his orders, I don't think that's right," said Wright. "You sent me to war."