

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
A group of Detroit residents is condemning the city's newly-approved restructuring plan to exit bankruptcy as a deal that will further benefit the wealthy and corporate class while hurting working people.
As Democracy Now! reported Monday:
A Detroit judge has approved the city's effort to restructure finances and shed around $7 billion in debt under its bankruptcy filing last year. The plan includes cuts to retiree pensions for city workers and around $660 million in funding from state and private sources. Detroit City Council President Brenda Jones said the city's next phase of recovery should focus on community improvement.
[...]
The deal ends 16 months of bankruptcy proceedings. It will let Detroit spend nearly $2 billion to restore some of the basic public services that have all but disappeared in recent years.
In his approval on Friday, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Steven Rhodes wrote that "the settlements incorporated into the plan of adjustment are reasonable, fair and equitable."
A group called Detroiters Resisting Emergency Management, however, says the pension-cutting Plan of Adjustment is anything but fair.
In a statement released Monday, the group writes: "Federal Bankruptcy Judge Steven Rhodes' approval of the Plan of Adjustment is not in the best interests of Detroiters. The plan, submitted by emergency manager Kevyn Orr, supported by Mayor Duggan and Gov. Snyder, protects banks, gives away public resources, and has no method to revitalize the city."
Orr, Snyder and Duggan "refuse to acknowledge that the wealth of the surrounding region has been won on the backs of the working people of Detroit. Now their so-called Plan of Adjustment will benefit the same small minority of wealthy people and major financial institutions. The rich will become richer, while the people of Detroit are forced to sacrifice their homes, pensions, healthcare, and city services," the statement adds.
The main problems with the plan, the group explains in a separate statement, "come down to refusing to recognize the value of working people in general and the needs of black working families in particular."
"No other creditors sacrificed like Detroit workers and residents. No bank officer or employee, no shareholder or CEO had to sacrifice healthcare or money saved over decades because of the Plan of Adjustment," said William Davis of the Detroit Active and Retired Employees Association. "Only those who live comfortably who are untouched by the cuts can express joy and relief over a plan that devastates thousands who served the city for decades."
Davis spoke Monday at a press conference, adding that the cuts to pensions in the plan are "illegal, immoral and [...] definitely a crime," the Detroit News reports. He said that his group and others were planning on filing an appeal to stop the cuts. "We have no choice but to pursue this. I will not agree to being robbed," Davis said.
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
A group of Detroit residents is condemning the city's newly-approved restructuring plan to exit bankruptcy as a deal that will further benefit the wealthy and corporate class while hurting working people.
As Democracy Now! reported Monday:
A Detroit judge has approved the city's effort to restructure finances and shed around $7 billion in debt under its bankruptcy filing last year. The plan includes cuts to retiree pensions for city workers and around $660 million in funding from state and private sources. Detroit City Council President Brenda Jones said the city's next phase of recovery should focus on community improvement.
[...]
The deal ends 16 months of bankruptcy proceedings. It will let Detroit spend nearly $2 billion to restore some of the basic public services that have all but disappeared in recent years.
In his approval on Friday, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Steven Rhodes wrote that "the settlements incorporated into the plan of adjustment are reasonable, fair and equitable."
A group called Detroiters Resisting Emergency Management, however, says the pension-cutting Plan of Adjustment is anything but fair.
In a statement released Monday, the group writes: "Federal Bankruptcy Judge Steven Rhodes' approval of the Plan of Adjustment is not in the best interests of Detroiters. The plan, submitted by emergency manager Kevyn Orr, supported by Mayor Duggan and Gov. Snyder, protects banks, gives away public resources, and has no method to revitalize the city."
Orr, Snyder and Duggan "refuse to acknowledge that the wealth of the surrounding region has been won on the backs of the working people of Detroit. Now their so-called Plan of Adjustment will benefit the same small minority of wealthy people and major financial institutions. The rich will become richer, while the people of Detroit are forced to sacrifice their homes, pensions, healthcare, and city services," the statement adds.
The main problems with the plan, the group explains in a separate statement, "come down to refusing to recognize the value of working people in general and the needs of black working families in particular."
"No other creditors sacrificed like Detroit workers and residents. No bank officer or employee, no shareholder or CEO had to sacrifice healthcare or money saved over decades because of the Plan of Adjustment," said William Davis of the Detroit Active and Retired Employees Association. "Only those who live comfortably who are untouched by the cuts can express joy and relief over a plan that devastates thousands who served the city for decades."
Davis spoke Monday at a press conference, adding that the cuts to pensions in the plan are "illegal, immoral and [...] definitely a crime," the Detroit News reports. He said that his group and others were planning on filing an appeal to stop the cuts. "We have no choice but to pursue this. I will not agree to being robbed," Davis said.
A group of Detroit residents is condemning the city's newly-approved restructuring plan to exit bankruptcy as a deal that will further benefit the wealthy and corporate class while hurting working people.
As Democracy Now! reported Monday:
A Detroit judge has approved the city's effort to restructure finances and shed around $7 billion in debt under its bankruptcy filing last year. The plan includes cuts to retiree pensions for city workers and around $660 million in funding from state and private sources. Detroit City Council President Brenda Jones said the city's next phase of recovery should focus on community improvement.
[...]
The deal ends 16 months of bankruptcy proceedings. It will let Detroit spend nearly $2 billion to restore some of the basic public services that have all but disappeared in recent years.
In his approval on Friday, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Steven Rhodes wrote that "the settlements incorporated into the plan of adjustment are reasonable, fair and equitable."
A group called Detroiters Resisting Emergency Management, however, says the pension-cutting Plan of Adjustment is anything but fair.
In a statement released Monday, the group writes: "Federal Bankruptcy Judge Steven Rhodes' approval of the Plan of Adjustment is not in the best interests of Detroiters. The plan, submitted by emergency manager Kevyn Orr, supported by Mayor Duggan and Gov. Snyder, protects banks, gives away public resources, and has no method to revitalize the city."
Orr, Snyder and Duggan "refuse to acknowledge that the wealth of the surrounding region has been won on the backs of the working people of Detroit. Now their so-called Plan of Adjustment will benefit the same small minority of wealthy people and major financial institutions. The rich will become richer, while the people of Detroit are forced to sacrifice their homes, pensions, healthcare, and city services," the statement adds.
The main problems with the plan, the group explains in a separate statement, "come down to refusing to recognize the value of working people in general and the needs of black working families in particular."
"No other creditors sacrificed like Detroit workers and residents. No bank officer or employee, no shareholder or CEO had to sacrifice healthcare or money saved over decades because of the Plan of Adjustment," said William Davis of the Detroit Active and Retired Employees Association. "Only those who live comfortably who are untouched by the cuts can express joy and relief over a plan that devastates thousands who served the city for decades."
Davis spoke Monday at a press conference, adding that the cuts to pensions in the plan are "illegal, immoral and [...] definitely a crime," the Detroit News reports. He said that his group and others were planning on filing an appeal to stop the cuts. "We have no choice but to pursue this. I will not agree to being robbed," Davis said.