

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.

Police cordon off the intersection of Canal Street and Bourbon Street in the French Quarter of New Orleans, Louisiana on January 1, 2025.
The superintendent of the New Orleans Police Department said that "this man was trying to run over as many people as he possibly could."
This is a developing news story... Please check back for possible updates...
A man driving a pickup truck plowed through a crowd in the French Quarter of New Orleans in the early hours of Wednesday morning, killing at least 15 people and injuring dozens more in what the Louisiana city's mayor called a "terrorist attack."
Anne Kirkpatrick, superintendent of the New Orleans Police Department, told reporters that the deadly incident "was not a DUI situation."
"It was very intentional behavior," said Kirkpatrick. "This man was trying to run over as many people as he possibly could."
After driving into the crowd on Bourbon Street amid New Year's celebrations at around at around 3:15 am, the man exited his vehicle and opened fire on police, according to the superintendent. The suspect reportedly wounded two police officers.
NOLA.com later reported that the man "has been identified by a law enforcement source as 42-year-old Shamsud Din-Jabbar."
"Police fatally shot him after the attack," the newspaper noted. "The source said Jabbar was carrying an ISIS flag in the truck."
The FBI said it is investigating the incident as an act of terrorism and working to determine whether an explosive device was found at the scene, NBC's Tom Winter reported.
In a statement, the FBI said that "this morning, an individual drove a car into a crowd of people on Bourbon Street in New Orleans, killing a number of people and injuring dozens of others."
"The subject then engaged with local law enforcement and is now deceased," the bureau added.
LaToya Cantrell, the mayor of New Orleans, said that while the investigation is still ongoing, "we do know that the city of New Orleans was impacted by a terrorist attack."
Gov. Jeff Landry wrote on social media that "a horrific act of violence took place on Bourbon Street earlier this morning."
"I urge all near the scene to avoid the area," the governor added.
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
This is a developing news story... Please check back for possible updates...
A man driving a pickup truck plowed through a crowd in the French Quarter of New Orleans in the early hours of Wednesday morning, killing at least 15 people and injuring dozens more in what the Louisiana city's mayor called a "terrorist attack."
Anne Kirkpatrick, superintendent of the New Orleans Police Department, told reporters that the deadly incident "was not a DUI situation."
"It was very intentional behavior," said Kirkpatrick. "This man was trying to run over as many people as he possibly could."
After driving into the crowd on Bourbon Street amid New Year's celebrations at around at around 3:15 am, the man exited his vehicle and opened fire on police, according to the superintendent. The suspect reportedly wounded two police officers.
NOLA.com later reported that the man "has been identified by a law enforcement source as 42-year-old Shamsud Din-Jabbar."
"Police fatally shot him after the attack," the newspaper noted. "The source said Jabbar was carrying an ISIS flag in the truck."
The FBI said it is investigating the incident as an act of terrorism and working to determine whether an explosive device was found at the scene, NBC's Tom Winter reported.
In a statement, the FBI said that "this morning, an individual drove a car into a crowd of people on Bourbon Street in New Orleans, killing a number of people and injuring dozens of others."
"The subject then engaged with local law enforcement and is now deceased," the bureau added.
LaToya Cantrell, the mayor of New Orleans, said that while the investigation is still ongoing, "we do know that the city of New Orleans was impacted by a terrorist attack."
Gov. Jeff Landry wrote on social media that "a horrific act of violence took place on Bourbon Street earlier this morning."
"I urge all near the scene to avoid the area," the governor added.
This is a developing news story... Please check back for possible updates...
A man driving a pickup truck plowed through a crowd in the French Quarter of New Orleans in the early hours of Wednesday morning, killing at least 15 people and injuring dozens more in what the Louisiana city's mayor called a "terrorist attack."
Anne Kirkpatrick, superintendent of the New Orleans Police Department, told reporters that the deadly incident "was not a DUI situation."
"It was very intentional behavior," said Kirkpatrick. "This man was trying to run over as many people as he possibly could."
After driving into the crowd on Bourbon Street amid New Year's celebrations at around at around 3:15 am, the man exited his vehicle and opened fire on police, according to the superintendent. The suspect reportedly wounded two police officers.
NOLA.com later reported that the man "has been identified by a law enforcement source as 42-year-old Shamsud Din-Jabbar."
"Police fatally shot him after the attack," the newspaper noted. "The source said Jabbar was carrying an ISIS flag in the truck."
The FBI said it is investigating the incident as an act of terrorism and working to determine whether an explosive device was found at the scene, NBC's Tom Winter reported.
In a statement, the FBI said that "this morning, an individual drove a car into a crowd of people on Bourbon Street in New Orleans, killing a number of people and injuring dozens of others."
"The subject then engaged with local law enforcement and is now deceased," the bureau added.
LaToya Cantrell, the mayor of New Orleans, said that while the investigation is still ongoing, "we do know that the city of New Orleans was impacted by a terrorist attack."
Gov. Jeff Landry wrote on social media that "a horrific act of violence took place on Bourbon Street earlier this morning."
"I urge all near the scene to avoid the area," the governor added.