
Employees of a McDonald's in North Charleston, South Carolina walked out with workers across the United States for a one-day strike on October 26, 2021. (Photo: NC Raise Up/Twitter)
McDonald's Workers Join 'Striketober' and Walk Out Over Sexual Harassment
One striker participated because "McDonald's still refuses to take responsibility for the countless women and teenagers who face harassment on the job at its stores across the globe."
Amid of wave of worker walkouts that supporters are collectively calling "Striketober," McDonald's employees in at least 12 U.S. cities took to the streets Tuesday to raise concerns about how the fast food giant has handled sexual harassment and to demand a union.
"No matter what McDonald's says, not much has changed for workers like me."
Though McDonald's in April announced new sexual harassment training standards that all of its restaurants worldwide will be required to meet by January 2022, workers still joined the one-day walkout from Chicago and Detroit to Houston and Miami, charging that the company has not done enough to keep employees safe on the job.
"I'm going on strike because despite years of protests, McDonald's still refuses to take responsibility for the countless women and teenagers who face harassment on the job at its stores across the globe," Jamelia Fairley, a McDonald's employee in Florida said in a statement ahead of the walkout. "No matter what McDonald's says, not much has changed for workers like me."
"I do believe that we're in a moment where workers are standing up more for their rights," said Fairley, a plaintiff in a class-action lawsuit accusing McDonald's of systemic sexual harassment. "I have met others who have experienced sexual harassment... We want a union to prevent it from happening."
\u201c\u201cThe pay is just not worth it, and then on top of that you've got to deal with the things that managers and supervisors feel as if they can do what they want to do, and it's not right.\u201d \n\n#FightFor15 #striketober \n\nhttps://t.co/pC33NtWEUP\u201d— Detroit 15 (@Detroit 15) 1635275498
The strike comes after a civil lawsuit filed against McDonald's in September alleged that Walter A. Garner, a 42-year-old manager previously convicted of sexual assault, raped a 14-year-old employee in the bathroom of a franchise restaurant operated by Rice Enterprises in Pennsylvania.
Michele Rice of Rice Enterprises said last month that the manager was fired "as soon as we learned about a complaint against him." Garner was charged with rape but his attorneys negotiated a plea of indecent sexual assault and corruption of a minor, according to KDKA in Pittsburgh. He was sentenced last week to four to 10 years in prison and five years probation.
\u201cI\u2019m standing in solidarity today with the brave McDonald\u2019s workers on strike to demand the company finally address the epidemic of sexual harassment.\u201d— Bernie Sanders (@Bernie Sanders) 1635287263
McDonald's--which has over 39,000 locations across 119 countries--said in a statement to the Associated Press that it expects all of its restaurants including franchises to meet its harassment training requirement and investigate all allegations.
The company's statement added that every employee "deserves to feel safe and respected when they come to work, and sexual harassment and assault have no place in any McDonald's restaurant."
\u201cBREAKING: Fast-food workers are on STRIKE to demand that @McDonalds listen to survivors and fix rampant sexual harassment in McD\u2019s stores. The #PoorPeoplesCampaign stands with them! \n\nhttps://t.co/QVIa4t9met #FightFor15 #MeToo #Striketober\u201d— Poor People's Campaign (@Poor People's Campaign) 1635262914
Tuesday's action also comes after the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, at the end of September, sued another McDonald's franchisee, AMTCR, for subjecting young employees at 22 locations in Arizona, California, and Nevada to "egregious sexual harassment" that included "unwanted groping and touching, offensive comments and gestures regarding male genitalia, unwelcome sexual advances, sexual ridicule, intimidation, and insults."
AMTCR declined to comment to the Chicago Tribune, which reported on the Tuesday walkout in the Windy City, home to the fast food company's headquarters.
"It's time for McDonald's to address the pattern of sexual harassment in its stores," Adriana Alvarez, a 29-year-old who said she has worked at a restaurant in the Chicago suburb of Cicero for a decade, told the Tribune.
\u201cHAPPENING NOW: @McDonalds workers in Chicago are ON STRIKE today to demand an end to the rampant sexual harassment in exists at our workplaces. #striketober #FightFor15 #metoo\u201d— Fight For 15 Chicago (@Fight For 15 Chicago) 1635267881
Alvarez said she hasn't experienced sexual harassment while working at McDonald's but has seen it happen to co-workers. She added that the new standards can't hurt, as long as the company doesn't "keep trying to brush it under the rug."
According to the newspaper, Alvarez and other activists at the Chicago protest also called for a union "to ensure our voices can be heard."
An Urgent Message From Our Co-Founder
Dear Common Dreams reader, The U.S. is on a fast track to authoritarianism like nothing I've ever seen. Meanwhile, corporate news outlets are utterly capitulating to Trump, twisting their coverage to avoid drawing his ire while lining up to stuff cash in his pockets. That's why I believe that Common Dreams is doing the best and most consequential reporting that we've ever done. Our small but mighty team is a progressive reporting powerhouse, covering the news every day that the corporate media never will. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. And to ignite change for the common good. Now here's the key piece that I want all our readers to understand: None of this would be possible without your financial support. That's not just some fundraising cliche. It's the absolute and literal truth. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. The final deadline for our crucial Summer Campaign fundraising drive is just days away, and we’re falling short of our must-hit goal. Will you donate now to help power the nonprofit, independent reporting of Common Dreams? Thank you for being a vital member of our community. Together, we can keep independent journalism alive when it’s needed most. - Craig Brown, Co-founder |
Amid of wave of worker walkouts that supporters are collectively calling "Striketober," McDonald's employees in at least 12 U.S. cities took to the streets Tuesday to raise concerns about how the fast food giant has handled sexual harassment and to demand a union.
"No matter what McDonald's says, not much has changed for workers like me."
Though McDonald's in April announced new sexual harassment training standards that all of its restaurants worldwide will be required to meet by January 2022, workers still joined the one-day walkout from Chicago and Detroit to Houston and Miami, charging that the company has not done enough to keep employees safe on the job.
"I'm going on strike because despite years of protests, McDonald's still refuses to take responsibility for the countless women and teenagers who face harassment on the job at its stores across the globe," Jamelia Fairley, a McDonald's employee in Florida said in a statement ahead of the walkout. "No matter what McDonald's says, not much has changed for workers like me."
"I do believe that we're in a moment where workers are standing up more for their rights," said Fairley, a plaintiff in a class-action lawsuit accusing McDonald's of systemic sexual harassment. "I have met others who have experienced sexual harassment... We want a union to prevent it from happening."
\u201c\u201cThe pay is just not worth it, and then on top of that you've got to deal with the things that managers and supervisors feel as if they can do what they want to do, and it's not right.\u201d \n\n#FightFor15 #striketober \n\nhttps://t.co/pC33NtWEUP\u201d— Detroit 15 (@Detroit 15) 1635275498
The strike comes after a civil lawsuit filed against McDonald's in September alleged that Walter A. Garner, a 42-year-old manager previously convicted of sexual assault, raped a 14-year-old employee in the bathroom of a franchise restaurant operated by Rice Enterprises in Pennsylvania.
Michele Rice of Rice Enterprises said last month that the manager was fired "as soon as we learned about a complaint against him." Garner was charged with rape but his attorneys negotiated a plea of indecent sexual assault and corruption of a minor, according to KDKA in Pittsburgh. He was sentenced last week to four to 10 years in prison and five years probation.
\u201cI\u2019m standing in solidarity today with the brave McDonald\u2019s workers on strike to demand the company finally address the epidemic of sexual harassment.\u201d— Bernie Sanders (@Bernie Sanders) 1635287263
McDonald's--which has over 39,000 locations across 119 countries--said in a statement to the Associated Press that it expects all of its restaurants including franchises to meet its harassment training requirement and investigate all allegations.
The company's statement added that every employee "deserves to feel safe and respected when they come to work, and sexual harassment and assault have no place in any McDonald's restaurant."
\u201cBREAKING: Fast-food workers are on STRIKE to demand that @McDonalds listen to survivors and fix rampant sexual harassment in McD\u2019s stores. The #PoorPeoplesCampaign stands with them! \n\nhttps://t.co/QVIa4t9met #FightFor15 #MeToo #Striketober\u201d— Poor People's Campaign (@Poor People's Campaign) 1635262914
Tuesday's action also comes after the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, at the end of September, sued another McDonald's franchisee, AMTCR, for subjecting young employees at 22 locations in Arizona, California, and Nevada to "egregious sexual harassment" that included "unwanted groping and touching, offensive comments and gestures regarding male genitalia, unwelcome sexual advances, sexual ridicule, intimidation, and insults."
AMTCR declined to comment to the Chicago Tribune, which reported on the Tuesday walkout in the Windy City, home to the fast food company's headquarters.
"It's time for McDonald's to address the pattern of sexual harassment in its stores," Adriana Alvarez, a 29-year-old who said she has worked at a restaurant in the Chicago suburb of Cicero for a decade, told the Tribune.
\u201cHAPPENING NOW: @McDonalds workers in Chicago are ON STRIKE today to demand an end to the rampant sexual harassment in exists at our workplaces. #striketober #FightFor15 #metoo\u201d— Fight For 15 Chicago (@Fight For 15 Chicago) 1635267881
Alvarez said she hasn't experienced sexual harassment while working at McDonald's but has seen it happen to co-workers. She added that the new standards can't hurt, as long as the company doesn't "keep trying to brush it under the rug."
According to the newspaper, Alvarez and other activists at the Chicago protest also called for a union "to ensure our voices can be heard."
Amid of wave of worker walkouts that supporters are collectively calling "Striketober," McDonald's employees in at least 12 U.S. cities took to the streets Tuesday to raise concerns about how the fast food giant has handled sexual harassment and to demand a union.
"No matter what McDonald's says, not much has changed for workers like me."
Though McDonald's in April announced new sexual harassment training standards that all of its restaurants worldwide will be required to meet by January 2022, workers still joined the one-day walkout from Chicago and Detroit to Houston and Miami, charging that the company has not done enough to keep employees safe on the job.
"I'm going on strike because despite years of protests, McDonald's still refuses to take responsibility for the countless women and teenagers who face harassment on the job at its stores across the globe," Jamelia Fairley, a McDonald's employee in Florida said in a statement ahead of the walkout. "No matter what McDonald's says, not much has changed for workers like me."
"I do believe that we're in a moment where workers are standing up more for their rights," said Fairley, a plaintiff in a class-action lawsuit accusing McDonald's of systemic sexual harassment. "I have met others who have experienced sexual harassment... We want a union to prevent it from happening."
\u201c\u201cThe pay is just not worth it, and then on top of that you've got to deal with the things that managers and supervisors feel as if they can do what they want to do, and it's not right.\u201d \n\n#FightFor15 #striketober \n\nhttps://t.co/pC33NtWEUP\u201d— Detroit 15 (@Detroit 15) 1635275498
The strike comes after a civil lawsuit filed against McDonald's in September alleged that Walter A. Garner, a 42-year-old manager previously convicted of sexual assault, raped a 14-year-old employee in the bathroom of a franchise restaurant operated by Rice Enterprises in Pennsylvania.
Michele Rice of Rice Enterprises said last month that the manager was fired "as soon as we learned about a complaint against him." Garner was charged with rape but his attorneys negotiated a plea of indecent sexual assault and corruption of a minor, according to KDKA in Pittsburgh. He was sentenced last week to four to 10 years in prison and five years probation.
\u201cI\u2019m standing in solidarity today with the brave McDonald\u2019s workers on strike to demand the company finally address the epidemic of sexual harassment.\u201d— Bernie Sanders (@Bernie Sanders) 1635287263
McDonald's--which has over 39,000 locations across 119 countries--said in a statement to the Associated Press that it expects all of its restaurants including franchises to meet its harassment training requirement and investigate all allegations.
The company's statement added that every employee "deserves to feel safe and respected when they come to work, and sexual harassment and assault have no place in any McDonald's restaurant."
\u201cBREAKING: Fast-food workers are on STRIKE to demand that @McDonalds listen to survivors and fix rampant sexual harassment in McD\u2019s stores. The #PoorPeoplesCampaign stands with them! \n\nhttps://t.co/QVIa4t9met #FightFor15 #MeToo #Striketober\u201d— Poor People's Campaign (@Poor People's Campaign) 1635262914
Tuesday's action also comes after the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, at the end of September, sued another McDonald's franchisee, AMTCR, for subjecting young employees at 22 locations in Arizona, California, and Nevada to "egregious sexual harassment" that included "unwanted groping and touching, offensive comments and gestures regarding male genitalia, unwelcome sexual advances, sexual ridicule, intimidation, and insults."
AMTCR declined to comment to the Chicago Tribune, which reported on the Tuesday walkout in the Windy City, home to the fast food company's headquarters.
"It's time for McDonald's to address the pattern of sexual harassment in its stores," Adriana Alvarez, a 29-year-old who said she has worked at a restaurant in the Chicago suburb of Cicero for a decade, told the Tribune.
\u201cHAPPENING NOW: @McDonalds workers in Chicago are ON STRIKE today to demand an end to the rampant sexual harassment in exists at our workplaces. #striketober #FightFor15 #metoo\u201d— Fight For 15 Chicago (@Fight For 15 Chicago) 1635267881
Alvarez said she hasn't experienced sexual harassment while working at McDonald's but has seen it happen to co-workers. She added that the new standards can't hurt, as long as the company doesn't "keep trying to brush it under the rug."
According to the newspaper, Alvarez and other activists at the Chicago protest also called for a union "to ensure our voices can be heard."