

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.

Supporters of the New York Attorney General's case against ExxonMobil gathered outside the New York County Supreme Court on Oct. 22. (Photo: Lindsay Meiman/Twitter)
Climate campaigners bemoaned a judge's ruling in New York on Tuesday which sided with ExxonMobil in a lawsuit that charged the oil giant defrauded investors by concealing for decades what it understood about how carbon pollution was contributing to global warming.
The lawsuit, stated Judge Barry Ostrager of the trial-level state Supreme Court in his ruling, "failed to prove, by a preponderance of the evidence, that ExxonMobil made any material misstatements or omissions about its practices and procedures that misled any reasonable investor."
The judge further noted that New York State Attorney General Letitia James, in presenting the state's case, "produced no testimony from any investor who claimed to have been misled by any disclosure, even though the Office of the Attorney General had previously represented it would call such individuals as trial witnesses."
The lawsuit, People of New York v. ExxonMobil, attracted national and international media attention for being the most high-profile effort yet to hold the fossil fuel industry to account for misleading the global public about what--and crucially when--it knew about the destructive results of digging up and burning billions and billions of tons of coal, oil, and gas.
In response to the court's decision, Dominique Thomas, a New York organizer with 350.org, said that while the ruling was a disappointment it would do nothing to dampen the demands for Exxon to be held accountable for its behavior.
"Despite this ruling, the crucial work to hold the likes of Exxon accountable for climate crimes goes on. This is just the tip of the accountability iceberg," said Thomas. "We thank Attorney General Tish James for her diligence in fighting to protect New Yorkers from rogue and reckless polluters."
Thomas' colleague at 350.org, North America director Tamara Toles O'Laughlin, said that even with the ruling in New York there are numerous other lawsuits now in process also seeking to hold the oil giant accountable for its climate crimes. In a statement, O'Laughlin said:
Dozens of municipalities have announced lawsuits against major oil companies for climate damages, including Honolulu and Maui County in Hawaii; New York City; Baltimore, MD; Boulder County, CO; municipalities across California; the state of Rhode Island. During the course of the New York trial, Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey announced the state's lawsuit against Exxon for investor and consumer fraud. Just this week, an announcement from the Philippines' Commission on Human Rights opened the door for the world's biggest fossil fuel companies, including ExxonMobil, to be held responsible for violating human rights.
The number of climate lawsuits will only continue to grow as momentum builds to hold Big Polluters accountable for the damages they continue to cause for communities across the U.S. and around the world.
In response to Tuesday's defeat in court, the Attorney General James said that despite the ruling her office "will continue to fight to ensure companies are held responsible for actions that undermine and jeopardize the financial health and safety of Americans across our country, and we will continue to fight to end climate change."
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
Climate campaigners bemoaned a judge's ruling in New York on Tuesday which sided with ExxonMobil in a lawsuit that charged the oil giant defrauded investors by concealing for decades what it understood about how carbon pollution was contributing to global warming.
The lawsuit, stated Judge Barry Ostrager of the trial-level state Supreme Court in his ruling, "failed to prove, by a preponderance of the evidence, that ExxonMobil made any material misstatements or omissions about its practices and procedures that misled any reasonable investor."
The judge further noted that New York State Attorney General Letitia James, in presenting the state's case, "produced no testimony from any investor who claimed to have been misled by any disclosure, even though the Office of the Attorney General had previously represented it would call such individuals as trial witnesses."
The lawsuit, People of New York v. ExxonMobil, attracted national and international media attention for being the most high-profile effort yet to hold the fossil fuel industry to account for misleading the global public about what--and crucially when--it knew about the destructive results of digging up and burning billions and billions of tons of coal, oil, and gas.
In response to the court's decision, Dominique Thomas, a New York organizer with 350.org, said that while the ruling was a disappointment it would do nothing to dampen the demands for Exxon to be held accountable for its behavior.
"Despite this ruling, the crucial work to hold the likes of Exxon accountable for climate crimes goes on. This is just the tip of the accountability iceberg," said Thomas. "We thank Attorney General Tish James for her diligence in fighting to protect New Yorkers from rogue and reckless polluters."
Thomas' colleague at 350.org, North America director Tamara Toles O'Laughlin, said that even with the ruling in New York there are numerous other lawsuits now in process also seeking to hold the oil giant accountable for its climate crimes. In a statement, O'Laughlin said:
Dozens of municipalities have announced lawsuits against major oil companies for climate damages, including Honolulu and Maui County in Hawaii; New York City; Baltimore, MD; Boulder County, CO; municipalities across California; the state of Rhode Island. During the course of the New York trial, Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey announced the state's lawsuit against Exxon for investor and consumer fraud. Just this week, an announcement from the Philippines' Commission on Human Rights opened the door for the world's biggest fossil fuel companies, including ExxonMobil, to be held responsible for violating human rights.
The number of climate lawsuits will only continue to grow as momentum builds to hold Big Polluters accountable for the damages they continue to cause for communities across the U.S. and around the world.
In response to Tuesday's defeat in court, the Attorney General James said that despite the ruling her office "will continue to fight to ensure companies are held responsible for actions that undermine and jeopardize the financial health and safety of Americans across our country, and we will continue to fight to end climate change."
Climate campaigners bemoaned a judge's ruling in New York on Tuesday which sided with ExxonMobil in a lawsuit that charged the oil giant defrauded investors by concealing for decades what it understood about how carbon pollution was contributing to global warming.
The lawsuit, stated Judge Barry Ostrager of the trial-level state Supreme Court in his ruling, "failed to prove, by a preponderance of the evidence, that ExxonMobil made any material misstatements or omissions about its practices and procedures that misled any reasonable investor."
The judge further noted that New York State Attorney General Letitia James, in presenting the state's case, "produced no testimony from any investor who claimed to have been misled by any disclosure, even though the Office of the Attorney General had previously represented it would call such individuals as trial witnesses."
The lawsuit, People of New York v. ExxonMobil, attracted national and international media attention for being the most high-profile effort yet to hold the fossil fuel industry to account for misleading the global public about what--and crucially when--it knew about the destructive results of digging up and burning billions and billions of tons of coal, oil, and gas.
In response to the court's decision, Dominique Thomas, a New York organizer with 350.org, said that while the ruling was a disappointment it would do nothing to dampen the demands for Exxon to be held accountable for its behavior.
"Despite this ruling, the crucial work to hold the likes of Exxon accountable for climate crimes goes on. This is just the tip of the accountability iceberg," said Thomas. "We thank Attorney General Tish James for her diligence in fighting to protect New Yorkers from rogue and reckless polluters."
Thomas' colleague at 350.org, North America director Tamara Toles O'Laughlin, said that even with the ruling in New York there are numerous other lawsuits now in process also seeking to hold the oil giant accountable for its climate crimes. In a statement, O'Laughlin said:
Dozens of municipalities have announced lawsuits against major oil companies for climate damages, including Honolulu and Maui County in Hawaii; New York City; Baltimore, MD; Boulder County, CO; municipalities across California; the state of Rhode Island. During the course of the New York trial, Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey announced the state's lawsuit against Exxon for investor and consumer fraud. Just this week, an announcement from the Philippines' Commission on Human Rights opened the door for the world's biggest fossil fuel companies, including ExxonMobil, to be held responsible for violating human rights.
The number of climate lawsuits will only continue to grow as momentum builds to hold Big Polluters accountable for the damages they continue to cause for communities across the U.S. and around the world.
In response to Tuesday's defeat in court, the Attorney General James said that despite the ruling her office "will continue to fight to ensure companies are held responsible for actions that undermine and jeopardize the financial health and safety of Americans across our country, and we will continue to fight to end climate change."