

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
Just after midnight on Monday, a federal judge ordered the Michigan election recount to start at noon local time, after Green Party candidate Jill Stein made an emergency request.
The order came in response to a filing by Stein's lawyers claiming "a state law requiring a two-business-day waiting period to start the recount likely violates voting rights," the Detroit Free Press reported.
After a "rare," three-hour Sunday hearing, U.S. District Judge Mark Goldsmith ruled that Stein had shown "a credible threat that the recount, if delayed, would not be completed" by December 13--which it must be to ensure Michigan's electoral votes are counted when the Electoral College meets on December 19.
It's unclear how Goldsmith's early-Monday decision impacts Stein's separate filing, over the weekend, seeking to intervene in Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette's attempt to block the recount. Stein also plans to intervene Monday on an attempt by lawyers for President-elect Donald Trump to stop the recount.
"[Stein attorney Mark] Brewer wouldn't 'speculate' on how Goldsmith's order, which said the recount must continue until Goldsmith orders otherwise, impacts the state court cases," the Free Press wrote.
Mlive reports that in the wake of the ruling, "[o]fficials and election workers in Ingham and Oakland Counties kicked off the recount process shortly after noon Monday."
Meanwhile, news agencies report that, as expected, the Green Party filed a federal lawsuit on Monday seeking a statewide recount.
And in Wisconsin, according to the Associated Press:
The recount began Thursday and continued over the weekend, with little change so far in the unofficial results as reported on election night. Six counties had completed their work as of Monday morning, with the margin between Trump and Clinton unchanged. Both candidates lost 20 votes.
A federal lawsuit was filed late last week by a Trump voter and two super PACs seeking to stop the recount. The judge rejected a request to halt the recount while the lawsuit is pending and scheduled a hearing for Friday.
Stein held a news conference Monday outside Trump Tower in New York City, where she declared of the Pennsylvania recount: "Whether it will change the outcome, we don't know, and it would be unfair to raise expectations that the outcome will change. That is not our intent. This is about ensuring that all votes get counted and that voters can trust the system going forward. We are here to assure Donald Trump that he has nothing to be afraid of."
"Let every vote count," she said. "That's what makes America great."
Watch below:
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
Just after midnight on Monday, a federal judge ordered the Michigan election recount to start at noon local time, after Green Party candidate Jill Stein made an emergency request.
The order came in response to a filing by Stein's lawyers claiming "a state law requiring a two-business-day waiting period to start the recount likely violates voting rights," the Detroit Free Press reported.
After a "rare," three-hour Sunday hearing, U.S. District Judge Mark Goldsmith ruled that Stein had shown "a credible threat that the recount, if delayed, would not be completed" by December 13--which it must be to ensure Michigan's electoral votes are counted when the Electoral College meets on December 19.
It's unclear how Goldsmith's early-Monday decision impacts Stein's separate filing, over the weekend, seeking to intervene in Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette's attempt to block the recount. Stein also plans to intervene Monday on an attempt by lawyers for President-elect Donald Trump to stop the recount.
"[Stein attorney Mark] Brewer wouldn't 'speculate' on how Goldsmith's order, which said the recount must continue until Goldsmith orders otherwise, impacts the state court cases," the Free Press wrote.
Mlive reports that in the wake of the ruling, "[o]fficials and election workers in Ingham and Oakland Counties kicked off the recount process shortly after noon Monday."
Meanwhile, news agencies report that, as expected, the Green Party filed a federal lawsuit on Monday seeking a statewide recount.
And in Wisconsin, according to the Associated Press:
The recount began Thursday and continued over the weekend, with little change so far in the unofficial results as reported on election night. Six counties had completed their work as of Monday morning, with the margin between Trump and Clinton unchanged. Both candidates lost 20 votes.
A federal lawsuit was filed late last week by a Trump voter and two super PACs seeking to stop the recount. The judge rejected a request to halt the recount while the lawsuit is pending and scheduled a hearing for Friday.
Stein held a news conference Monday outside Trump Tower in New York City, where she declared of the Pennsylvania recount: "Whether it will change the outcome, we don't know, and it would be unfair to raise expectations that the outcome will change. That is not our intent. This is about ensuring that all votes get counted and that voters can trust the system going forward. We are here to assure Donald Trump that he has nothing to be afraid of."
"Let every vote count," she said. "That's what makes America great."
Watch below:
Just after midnight on Monday, a federal judge ordered the Michigan election recount to start at noon local time, after Green Party candidate Jill Stein made an emergency request.
The order came in response to a filing by Stein's lawyers claiming "a state law requiring a two-business-day waiting period to start the recount likely violates voting rights," the Detroit Free Press reported.
After a "rare," three-hour Sunday hearing, U.S. District Judge Mark Goldsmith ruled that Stein had shown "a credible threat that the recount, if delayed, would not be completed" by December 13--which it must be to ensure Michigan's electoral votes are counted when the Electoral College meets on December 19.
It's unclear how Goldsmith's early-Monday decision impacts Stein's separate filing, over the weekend, seeking to intervene in Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette's attempt to block the recount. Stein also plans to intervene Monday on an attempt by lawyers for President-elect Donald Trump to stop the recount.
"[Stein attorney Mark] Brewer wouldn't 'speculate' on how Goldsmith's order, which said the recount must continue until Goldsmith orders otherwise, impacts the state court cases," the Free Press wrote.
Mlive reports that in the wake of the ruling, "[o]fficials and election workers in Ingham and Oakland Counties kicked off the recount process shortly after noon Monday."
Meanwhile, news agencies report that, as expected, the Green Party filed a federal lawsuit on Monday seeking a statewide recount.
And in Wisconsin, according to the Associated Press:
The recount began Thursday and continued over the weekend, with little change so far in the unofficial results as reported on election night. Six counties had completed their work as of Monday morning, with the margin between Trump and Clinton unchanged. Both candidates lost 20 votes.
A federal lawsuit was filed late last week by a Trump voter and two super PACs seeking to stop the recount. The judge rejected a request to halt the recount while the lawsuit is pending and scheduled a hearing for Friday.
Stein held a news conference Monday outside Trump Tower in New York City, where she declared of the Pennsylvania recount: "Whether it will change the outcome, we don't know, and it would be unfair to raise expectations that the outcome will change. That is not our intent. This is about ensuring that all votes get counted and that voters can trust the system going forward. We are here to assure Donald Trump that he has nothing to be afraid of."
"Let every vote count," she said. "That's what makes America great."
Watch below: