Deepwater Horizon Blast Triggered by Methane Bubble, Report Shows
Investigation reveals accident on Gulf of Mexico rig was caused when gas escaped from oil well before exploding
The deadly blast on board the Deepwater Horizon oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico was triggered by a bubble of methane gas, an investigation by BP has revealed.
A
report into last month's blast said the gas escaped from the oil well
and shot up the drill column, expanding quickly as it burst through
several seals and barriers before exploding.
The sequence
of events, described in the interviews with rig workers, provides the
most detailed account of the blast that killed 11 workers and led to
more than 3 million gallons of crude oil pouring into the Gulf.
Segments
of the interviews conducted during BP's internal investigation were
described in detail to the Associated Press by Robert Bea, a University
of California Berkeley engineering professor who serves on a National
Academy of Engineering panel on oil pipeline safety. He also worked for
BP as a risk assessment consultant during the 1990s. He received the
details from industry friends seeking his expert opinion.
The revelations came as a giant funnel was lowered over the oil well in a bid to contain oil leaking from it.
BP
said it might take up to 12 hours for the 98-tonne, steel and concrete
containment device to settle in place almost 1 mile (1.6km) below the
surface. But the company added that the operation appeared to be going
as planned.
It is hoped that the structure will be able to
collect as much as 85% of the leaking oil and begin funnelling it to
ships above by Monday.
But the BP chief executive, Tony
Hayward, has warned there is no certainty the device will prove
successful because it has not be tried at that depth.
The
company, which is also drilling a relief well to halt the leak, faces
an equally daunting challenge to contain the political and financial
fallout from the spill. The Obama administration has kept up the
pressure on the oil giant, a move seen in part as a tactic to divert
criticism of its own role in the disaster.
Recent news
reports have suggested the interior department exercised lax oversight
in approving BP's operations in the Gulf, accepting too readily its
claims there was little risk of an accident.
An Urgent Message From Our Co-Founder
Dear Common Dreams reader, The U.S. is on a fast track to authoritarianism like nothing I've ever seen. Meanwhile, corporate news outlets are utterly capitulating to Trump, twisting their coverage to avoid drawing his ire while lining up to stuff cash in his pockets. That's why I believe that Common Dreams is doing the best and most consequential reporting that we've ever done. Our small but mighty team is a progressive reporting powerhouse, covering the news every day that the corporate media never will. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. And to ignite change for the common good. Now here's the key piece that I want all our readers to understand: None of this would be possible without your financial support. That's not just some fundraising cliche. It's the absolute and literal truth. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. The final deadline for our crucial Summer Campaign fundraising drive is just days away, and we’re falling short of our must-hit goal. Will you donate now to help power the nonprofit, independent reporting of Common Dreams? Thank you for being a vital member of our community. Together, we can keep independent journalism alive when it’s needed most. - Craig Brown, Co-founder |
The deadly blast on board the Deepwater Horizon oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico was triggered by a bubble of methane gas, an investigation by BP has revealed.
A
report into last month's blast said the gas escaped from the oil well
and shot up the drill column, expanding quickly as it burst through
several seals and barriers before exploding.
The sequence
of events, described in the interviews with rig workers, provides the
most detailed account of the blast that killed 11 workers and led to
more than 3 million gallons of crude oil pouring into the Gulf.
Segments
of the interviews conducted during BP's internal investigation were
described in detail to the Associated Press by Robert Bea, a University
of California Berkeley engineering professor who serves on a National
Academy of Engineering panel on oil pipeline safety. He also worked for
BP as a risk assessment consultant during the 1990s. He received the
details from industry friends seeking his expert opinion.
The revelations came as a giant funnel was lowered over the oil well in a bid to contain oil leaking from it.
BP
said it might take up to 12 hours for the 98-tonne, steel and concrete
containment device to settle in place almost 1 mile (1.6km) below the
surface. But the company added that the operation appeared to be going
as planned.
It is hoped that the structure will be able to
collect as much as 85% of the leaking oil and begin funnelling it to
ships above by Monday.
But the BP chief executive, Tony
Hayward, has warned there is no certainty the device will prove
successful because it has not be tried at that depth.
The
company, which is also drilling a relief well to halt the leak, faces
an equally daunting challenge to contain the political and financial
fallout from the spill. The Obama administration has kept up the
pressure on the oil giant, a move seen in part as a tactic to divert
criticism of its own role in the disaster.
Recent news
reports have suggested the interior department exercised lax oversight
in approving BP's operations in the Gulf, accepting too readily its
claims there was little risk of an accident.
The deadly blast on board the Deepwater Horizon oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico was triggered by a bubble of methane gas, an investigation by BP has revealed.
A
report into last month's blast said the gas escaped from the oil well
and shot up the drill column, expanding quickly as it burst through
several seals and barriers before exploding.
The sequence
of events, described in the interviews with rig workers, provides the
most detailed account of the blast that killed 11 workers and led to
more than 3 million gallons of crude oil pouring into the Gulf.
Segments
of the interviews conducted during BP's internal investigation were
described in detail to the Associated Press by Robert Bea, a University
of California Berkeley engineering professor who serves on a National
Academy of Engineering panel on oil pipeline safety. He also worked for
BP as a risk assessment consultant during the 1990s. He received the
details from industry friends seeking his expert opinion.
The revelations came as a giant funnel was lowered over the oil well in a bid to contain oil leaking from it.
BP
said it might take up to 12 hours for the 98-tonne, steel and concrete
containment device to settle in place almost 1 mile (1.6km) below the
surface. But the company added that the operation appeared to be going
as planned.
It is hoped that the structure will be able to
collect as much as 85% of the leaking oil and begin funnelling it to
ships above by Monday.
But the BP chief executive, Tony
Hayward, has warned there is no certainty the device will prove
successful because it has not be tried at that depth.
The
company, which is also drilling a relief well to halt the leak, faces
an equally daunting challenge to contain the political and financial
fallout from the spill. The Obama administration has kept up the
pressure on the oil giant, a move seen in part as a tactic to divert
criticism of its own role in the disaster.
Recent news
reports have suggested the interior department exercised lax oversight
in approving BP's operations in the Gulf, accepting too readily its
claims there was little risk of an accident.