

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
Marking the third straight day of demonstrations, tens of thousands protested in Okinawa, Japan on Sunday against the presence and expansion of U.S. military bases on the island.
The massive rally "aimed to pressure Tokyo to halt building work for the military base that has continued despite vehement opposition from the local government in Okinawa," Al Jazeera reports.
Held in the Okinawa Cellular Stadium, which Stars and Stripes notes is "usually reserved for professional baseball teams, including Major League all-stars when they visit the island," the event was called 'Seventy Years After the End of WWII--Stop Construction of a New Military Base at Henoko.'
Okinawa is home to more than half of the 47,000 U.S. service personnel stationed in Japan as part of a defense alliance--a proportion many of the island's residents have for decades said is too high.
The U.S. military announced plans to move Marine Corps Air Station Futenma in 1996, hoping to ease tensions with the host community after the gang-rape of a schoolgirl by servicemen. A new runway, being built into Oura Bay at the more remote Camp Schwab base near Henoko, is necessary to facilitate the closure of Futenma, which is located in a densely populated urban area of central Okinawa.
But locals have pushed to block the relocation of the base within the island, insisting the facility should be fully removed instead.
"The government says we are to blame that the issue has stalled for 19 years and they tell us to find an alternative place [for the base relocation]. That is outrageous," shouted the anti-US base mayor of the Okinawa city of Nago, Susumu Inamine. "The government is thrusting their responsibility on us."
Agence France Presse notes that Prime Minister Shinzo Abe last month insisted the current re-location plan was "the only solution," while anti-base Okinawa governor Takeshi Onaga hit back saying that three recent popular votes in Okinawa all showed overwhelming opposition to the move.
"The current government is pushing the plan. Is it really a democratic country?" said protester Kiku Nakayama, 86, who as a teenager worked as a nurse for soldiers towards the end of World War II. She added: "We have to remove the risks of exposing Okinawa to war again."
Onaga, who ran on an anti-base platform, reportedly plans to visit Washington, D.C. from May 31 to June 4, in order to voice his concerns to U.S. government officials. He and many protesters say this fight is emblematic of the Abe administration's creeping militarism.
"Under the 'proactive pacifism' endorsed by the Abe's administration, how long should Okinawa continue to sacrifice itself for the Japan-U.S. defense alliance?" Onaga asked the crowd on Sunday.
As Stars and Stripes reports:
[Onaga's] election in November was largely seen as a referendum condemning the project. His victory emboldened the protesters, who cite a series of concerns, from environmental considerations to a desire for a smaller U.S. military footprint on the island.
Protesters have become more energetic and aggressive since his election, with confrontations with base guards and Japanese coast guard vessels in the bay, harassment of military and non-military personnel, and bomb threats.
According to journalist Ashoka Jegroo writing at Waging Nonviolence, Sunday's protesters "dressed in blue to symbolize the sea of Henoko and the Oura Bay. The organizers, who include politicians, labor leaders and members of the business community, vowed to send representatives to Tokyo later this month to deliver a resolution to Abe's office."
Separate marches took place on Friday and Saturday in other cities around the island of Okinawa.
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
Marking the third straight day of demonstrations, tens of thousands protested in Okinawa, Japan on Sunday against the presence and expansion of U.S. military bases on the island.
The massive rally "aimed to pressure Tokyo to halt building work for the military base that has continued despite vehement opposition from the local government in Okinawa," Al Jazeera reports.
Held in the Okinawa Cellular Stadium, which Stars and Stripes notes is "usually reserved for professional baseball teams, including Major League all-stars when they visit the island," the event was called 'Seventy Years After the End of WWII--Stop Construction of a New Military Base at Henoko.'
Okinawa is home to more than half of the 47,000 U.S. service personnel stationed in Japan as part of a defense alliance--a proportion many of the island's residents have for decades said is too high.
The U.S. military announced plans to move Marine Corps Air Station Futenma in 1996, hoping to ease tensions with the host community after the gang-rape of a schoolgirl by servicemen. A new runway, being built into Oura Bay at the more remote Camp Schwab base near Henoko, is necessary to facilitate the closure of Futenma, which is located in a densely populated urban area of central Okinawa.
But locals have pushed to block the relocation of the base within the island, insisting the facility should be fully removed instead.
"The government says we are to blame that the issue has stalled for 19 years and they tell us to find an alternative place [for the base relocation]. That is outrageous," shouted the anti-US base mayor of the Okinawa city of Nago, Susumu Inamine. "The government is thrusting their responsibility on us."
Agence France Presse notes that Prime Minister Shinzo Abe last month insisted the current re-location plan was "the only solution," while anti-base Okinawa governor Takeshi Onaga hit back saying that three recent popular votes in Okinawa all showed overwhelming opposition to the move.
"The current government is pushing the plan. Is it really a democratic country?" said protester Kiku Nakayama, 86, who as a teenager worked as a nurse for soldiers towards the end of World War II. She added: "We have to remove the risks of exposing Okinawa to war again."
Onaga, who ran on an anti-base platform, reportedly plans to visit Washington, D.C. from May 31 to June 4, in order to voice his concerns to U.S. government officials. He and many protesters say this fight is emblematic of the Abe administration's creeping militarism.
"Under the 'proactive pacifism' endorsed by the Abe's administration, how long should Okinawa continue to sacrifice itself for the Japan-U.S. defense alliance?" Onaga asked the crowd on Sunday.
As Stars and Stripes reports:
[Onaga's] election in November was largely seen as a referendum condemning the project. His victory emboldened the protesters, who cite a series of concerns, from environmental considerations to a desire for a smaller U.S. military footprint on the island.
Protesters have become more energetic and aggressive since his election, with confrontations with base guards and Japanese coast guard vessels in the bay, harassment of military and non-military personnel, and bomb threats.
According to journalist Ashoka Jegroo writing at Waging Nonviolence, Sunday's protesters "dressed in blue to symbolize the sea of Henoko and the Oura Bay. The organizers, who include politicians, labor leaders and members of the business community, vowed to send representatives to Tokyo later this month to deliver a resolution to Abe's office."
Separate marches took place on Friday and Saturday in other cities around the island of Okinawa.
Marking the third straight day of demonstrations, tens of thousands protested in Okinawa, Japan on Sunday against the presence and expansion of U.S. military bases on the island.
The massive rally "aimed to pressure Tokyo to halt building work for the military base that has continued despite vehement opposition from the local government in Okinawa," Al Jazeera reports.
Held in the Okinawa Cellular Stadium, which Stars and Stripes notes is "usually reserved for professional baseball teams, including Major League all-stars when they visit the island," the event was called 'Seventy Years After the End of WWII--Stop Construction of a New Military Base at Henoko.'
Okinawa is home to more than half of the 47,000 U.S. service personnel stationed in Japan as part of a defense alliance--a proportion many of the island's residents have for decades said is too high.
The U.S. military announced plans to move Marine Corps Air Station Futenma in 1996, hoping to ease tensions with the host community after the gang-rape of a schoolgirl by servicemen. A new runway, being built into Oura Bay at the more remote Camp Schwab base near Henoko, is necessary to facilitate the closure of Futenma, which is located in a densely populated urban area of central Okinawa.
But locals have pushed to block the relocation of the base within the island, insisting the facility should be fully removed instead.
"The government says we are to blame that the issue has stalled for 19 years and they tell us to find an alternative place [for the base relocation]. That is outrageous," shouted the anti-US base mayor of the Okinawa city of Nago, Susumu Inamine. "The government is thrusting their responsibility on us."
Agence France Presse notes that Prime Minister Shinzo Abe last month insisted the current re-location plan was "the only solution," while anti-base Okinawa governor Takeshi Onaga hit back saying that three recent popular votes in Okinawa all showed overwhelming opposition to the move.
"The current government is pushing the plan. Is it really a democratic country?" said protester Kiku Nakayama, 86, who as a teenager worked as a nurse for soldiers towards the end of World War II. She added: "We have to remove the risks of exposing Okinawa to war again."
Onaga, who ran on an anti-base platform, reportedly plans to visit Washington, D.C. from May 31 to June 4, in order to voice his concerns to U.S. government officials. He and many protesters say this fight is emblematic of the Abe administration's creeping militarism.
"Under the 'proactive pacifism' endorsed by the Abe's administration, how long should Okinawa continue to sacrifice itself for the Japan-U.S. defense alliance?" Onaga asked the crowd on Sunday.
As Stars and Stripes reports:
[Onaga's] election in November was largely seen as a referendum condemning the project. His victory emboldened the protesters, who cite a series of concerns, from environmental considerations to a desire for a smaller U.S. military footprint on the island.
Protesters have become more energetic and aggressive since his election, with confrontations with base guards and Japanese coast guard vessels in the bay, harassment of military and non-military personnel, and bomb threats.
According to journalist Ashoka Jegroo writing at Waging Nonviolence, Sunday's protesters "dressed in blue to symbolize the sea of Henoko and the Oura Bay. The organizers, who include politicians, labor leaders and members of the business community, vowed to send representatives to Tokyo later this month to deliver a resolution to Abe's office."
Separate marches took place on Friday and Saturday in other cities around the island of Okinawa.