

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
The Cairo office of al-Jazeera
was ransacked by pro-government "thugs" today, as the Arabic language
news channel also said its news website had come under attack by
hackers.
Al-Jazeera said its office had been stormed by a "gang of thugs" who burned equipment, on a day of reports of escalating violence against journalists covering the Egyptian uprising.
The
Qatar-based broadcaster added that the attacks appeared to be an
attempt by "the Egyptian regime or its supporters" to hinder its widely
watched coverage of the uprising in Egypt.
It
said its website had been hacked earlier today with a banner
advertisement replaced with a slogan "Together for the collapse of
Egypt", which linked through to a web page with content critical of the
network. The banner remained in place for two hours.
"Our website
has been under relentless attack since the onset of the uprisings in
Egypt [and] we are currently investigating what happened today," said a
spokesman for al-Jazeera. "While the deliberate attacks this morning
were an attempt to discredit us we will continue our impartial and
comprehensive coverage of these unprecedented events."
Last week
al-Jazeera's Cairo office was closed by the Egyptian authorities. The
broadcaster's reporters have also had their press credentials revoked
and nine were detained for periods of time.
In other recent
incidents, Swedish TV reporter Bert Sundstrom was in a serious condition
in Cairo hospital after being stabbed in the back, according to
Associated Press. Dan Nolan, al-Jazeera's UAE correspondent, tweeted
today that unfortunately the decision had been taken that it was now too dangerous to remain in Cairo.
"Sadly
I'm catching [a] plane out of Cairo today," he said. "Threats to us
been about too much. Need to spend some time with family and hope to
return soon."
CNN's star reporter Anderson Cooper, who on Wednesday was "roughed up" by thugs on a Cairo street, tweeted today that CNN was now broadcasting from an "undisclosed location" in the city to "stay live as long as we can".
Guardian
journalists Peter Beaumont and Jack Shenker were prevented from
entering Cairo's Tahrir Square earlier today by both the Egyptian army
and armed vigilantes.
Beaumont said the pair were picked up by the
army at a checkpoint and made to kneel facing a wall and interrogated.
They then had to deal with machete-wielding vigilantes, he added.
However,
according to Reuters the Egyptian army has been instructed to assist
foreign media and help protect them from groups who have attacked and
beaten journalists. Britain and the US have criticised what the US
called a "concerted campaign" to intimidate foreign reporters.
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
The Cairo office of al-Jazeera
was ransacked by pro-government "thugs" today, as the Arabic language
news channel also said its news website had come under attack by
hackers.
Al-Jazeera said its office had been stormed by a "gang of thugs" who burned equipment, on a day of reports of escalating violence against journalists covering the Egyptian uprising.
The
Qatar-based broadcaster added that the attacks appeared to be an
attempt by "the Egyptian regime or its supporters" to hinder its widely
watched coverage of the uprising in Egypt.
It
said its website had been hacked earlier today with a banner
advertisement replaced with a slogan "Together for the collapse of
Egypt", which linked through to a web page with content critical of the
network. The banner remained in place for two hours.
"Our website
has been under relentless attack since the onset of the uprisings in
Egypt [and] we are currently investigating what happened today," said a
spokesman for al-Jazeera. "While the deliberate attacks this morning
were an attempt to discredit us we will continue our impartial and
comprehensive coverage of these unprecedented events."
Last week
al-Jazeera's Cairo office was closed by the Egyptian authorities. The
broadcaster's reporters have also had their press credentials revoked
and nine were detained for periods of time.
In other recent
incidents, Swedish TV reporter Bert Sundstrom was in a serious condition
in Cairo hospital after being stabbed in the back, according to
Associated Press. Dan Nolan, al-Jazeera's UAE correspondent, tweeted
today that unfortunately the decision had been taken that it was now too dangerous to remain in Cairo.
"Sadly
I'm catching [a] plane out of Cairo today," he said. "Threats to us
been about too much. Need to spend some time with family and hope to
return soon."
CNN's star reporter Anderson Cooper, who on Wednesday was "roughed up" by thugs on a Cairo street, tweeted today that CNN was now broadcasting from an "undisclosed location" in the city to "stay live as long as we can".
Guardian
journalists Peter Beaumont and Jack Shenker were prevented from
entering Cairo's Tahrir Square earlier today by both the Egyptian army
and armed vigilantes.
Beaumont said the pair were picked up by the
army at a checkpoint and made to kneel facing a wall and interrogated.
They then had to deal with machete-wielding vigilantes, he added.
However,
according to Reuters the Egyptian army has been instructed to assist
foreign media and help protect them from groups who have attacked and
beaten journalists. Britain and the US have criticised what the US
called a "concerted campaign" to intimidate foreign reporters.
The Cairo office of al-Jazeera
was ransacked by pro-government "thugs" today, as the Arabic language
news channel also said its news website had come under attack by
hackers.
Al-Jazeera said its office had been stormed by a "gang of thugs" who burned equipment, on a day of reports of escalating violence against journalists covering the Egyptian uprising.
The
Qatar-based broadcaster added that the attacks appeared to be an
attempt by "the Egyptian regime or its supporters" to hinder its widely
watched coverage of the uprising in Egypt.
It
said its website had been hacked earlier today with a banner
advertisement replaced with a slogan "Together for the collapse of
Egypt", which linked through to a web page with content critical of the
network. The banner remained in place for two hours.
"Our website
has been under relentless attack since the onset of the uprisings in
Egypt [and] we are currently investigating what happened today," said a
spokesman for al-Jazeera. "While the deliberate attacks this morning
were an attempt to discredit us we will continue our impartial and
comprehensive coverage of these unprecedented events."
Last week
al-Jazeera's Cairo office was closed by the Egyptian authorities. The
broadcaster's reporters have also had their press credentials revoked
and nine were detained for periods of time.
In other recent
incidents, Swedish TV reporter Bert Sundstrom was in a serious condition
in Cairo hospital after being stabbed in the back, according to
Associated Press. Dan Nolan, al-Jazeera's UAE correspondent, tweeted
today that unfortunately the decision had been taken that it was now too dangerous to remain in Cairo.
"Sadly
I'm catching [a] plane out of Cairo today," he said. "Threats to us
been about too much. Need to spend some time with family and hope to
return soon."
CNN's star reporter Anderson Cooper, who on Wednesday was "roughed up" by thugs on a Cairo street, tweeted today that CNN was now broadcasting from an "undisclosed location" in the city to "stay live as long as we can".
Guardian
journalists Peter Beaumont and Jack Shenker were prevented from
entering Cairo's Tahrir Square earlier today by both the Egyptian army
and armed vigilantes.
Beaumont said the pair were picked up by the
army at a checkpoint and made to kneel facing a wall and interrogated.
They then had to deal with machete-wielding vigilantes, he added.
However,
according to Reuters the Egyptian army has been instructed to assist
foreign media and help protect them from groups who have attacked and
beaten journalists. Britain and the US have criticised what the US
called a "concerted campaign" to intimidate foreign reporters.