In a surprise statement to the press on Wednesday, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson unequivocally denied an explosive NBC News report suggesting that he \u0022was on the verge of resigning\u0022 in July after President Donald Trump delivered his bizarre Boy Scouts speech, but he refused to confirm or deny another central component of NBC\u0026#039;s report—that he called President Donald Trump a \u0022fucking moron.\u0022\u0022I\u0026#039;m not going to deal with petty stuff like that,\u0022 Tillerson said, adding that he wouldn\u0026#039;t be \u0022be part of\u0022 anything intended to sow \u0022division.\u0022 He then reaffirmed his commitment to Trump, calling him \u0022smart\u0022 and praising his \u0022America First\u0022 agenda.Watch:Reporter: The report says you called Trump a \u0022moron\u0022Tillerson: \u0022I\u0026#039;m not going to deal with petty stuff like that\u0022 https://t.co/lPeEu8NPvl— CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics) October 4, 2017One source told CNN that Trump was aware that Tillerson called him a \u0022moron,\u0022 but it is unclear whether the two ever directly discussed the matter.In an afternoon press conference, State Department spokesperson Heather Naurt, asked specifically about the \u0022moron\u0022 comment and his earlier non-denial, told reporters that Tillerson \u0022doesn\u0026#039;t use that type of language\u0022 and then stated flatly that he \u0022did not say that\u0022 about the president.*\u0026nbsp;NEW: State Dept. spokesperson denies report Sec. Tillerson called Pres. Trump a \u0022moron\u0022: \u0022He did not say that.\u0022 https://t.co/IhJYsACSmD pic.twitter.com/hoVgLMxMDx— ABC News Politics (@ABCPolitics) October 4, 2017According to NBC, a \u0022pep talk\u0022 from Vice President Mike Pence—as well as persistent begging by Defense Secretary James Mattis and chief of staff John Kelly—ultimately convinced Tillerson to stay on board. Tillerson, in his remarks, denied that he has ever considered resigning or that Pence cajoled him to remain.In addition to numerous other policy disputes, Tillerson complained in particular \u0022about being publicly undermined by the president on the administration\u0026#039;s foreign policy agenda,\u0022 NBC reported Wednesday.Following Tillerson\u0026#039;s remarks, NBC stood by its reporting as Trump tweeted that their story had been \u0022totally refuted.\u0022Watch Tillerson\u0026#039;s full statement:Sec. Tillerson: My commitment to the success of our @POTUS \u0026amp; the country is as strong as the day I accepted his offer to serve as SecState. pic.twitter.com/MK8mg70t1x— Department of State (@StateDept) October 4, 2017Update*: This piece has been updated to include later comments by a spokesperson for the State Department.