'Journalists Are Not Terrorists!': Trial of Al-Jazeera Reporters Continues
Court proceedings postponed in case against journalists
Three of the defendants--Al Jazeera correspondent Peter Greste, Egypt bureau chief Mohamed Fahmy and producer Baher Mohamed--were arrested in their hotel in Cairo on Dec. 29 by Egyptian authorities and accused of spreading false news and belonging to a "terrorist group."
The journalists could face up to 15 years in prison for what many say was the simple act of reporting.
The three pleaded not-guilty in the first day of the hearings last week.
The second day of court proceedings took at "tragicomic turn" Wednesday, the Guardianreports, "as prosecutors presented box after box of everyday items and broadcast equipment as evidence of the defendants' alleged terrorism - many of them as innocuous as electric cables, a computer keyboard, and a bumbag belonging to Peter Greste."
At one point the defendants banged their handcuffs on the cage inside the courtroom they were held in. "Journalists are not terrorists," defendant Baher Mohamed shouted.
"I've been a journalist for 12 years," said Fahmy. "I covered the Syrian and Egyptian revolutions. No one ever said that I was dishonorable. It's impossible that I would ever betray my country."
In total, 20 journalists are currently on trial. Twelve of them are being tried in absentia. Nine are Al Jazeera employees.
Last week, journalists around the world took part in a global day of action in solidarity with the detained group, calling for their release and denouncing what has been described as a "trial of journalism itself."
The court proceedings were adjourned until March 24 to allow more witnesses to be heard in the case.
"Mohamed, Peter, and Baher are world-class journalists, and were simply doing the job - of journalism - covering and challenging all sides of the story in Egypt," Al Anstey, managing director of Al Jazeera English, said. "To continue to keep them behind bars after such a long time in detention is simply outrageous, so we continue to call for their immediate release."
An Urgent Message From Our Co-Founder
Dear Common Dreams reader, The U.S. is on a fast track to authoritarianism like nothing I've ever seen. Meanwhile, corporate news outlets are utterly capitulating to Trump, twisting their coverage to avoid drawing his ire while lining up to stuff cash in his pockets. That's why I believe that Common Dreams is doing the best and most consequential reporting that we've ever done. Our small but mighty team is a progressive reporting powerhouse, covering the news every day that the corporate media never will. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. And to ignite change for the common good. Now here's the key piece that I want all our readers to understand: None of this would be possible without your financial support. That's not just some fundraising cliche. It's the absolute and literal truth. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. The final deadline for our crucial Summer Campaign fundraising drive is just days away, and we’re falling short of our must-hit goal. Will you donate now to help power the nonprofit, independent reporting of Common Dreams? Thank you for being a vital member of our community. Together, we can keep independent journalism alive when it’s needed most. - Craig Brown, Co-founder |
Three of the defendants--Al Jazeera correspondent Peter Greste, Egypt bureau chief Mohamed Fahmy and producer Baher Mohamed--were arrested in their hotel in Cairo on Dec. 29 by Egyptian authorities and accused of spreading false news and belonging to a "terrorist group."
The journalists could face up to 15 years in prison for what many say was the simple act of reporting.
The three pleaded not-guilty in the first day of the hearings last week.
The second day of court proceedings took at "tragicomic turn" Wednesday, the Guardianreports, "as prosecutors presented box after box of everyday items and broadcast equipment as evidence of the defendants' alleged terrorism - many of them as innocuous as electric cables, a computer keyboard, and a bumbag belonging to Peter Greste."
At one point the defendants banged their handcuffs on the cage inside the courtroom they were held in. "Journalists are not terrorists," defendant Baher Mohamed shouted.
"I've been a journalist for 12 years," said Fahmy. "I covered the Syrian and Egyptian revolutions. No one ever said that I was dishonorable. It's impossible that I would ever betray my country."
In total, 20 journalists are currently on trial. Twelve of them are being tried in absentia. Nine are Al Jazeera employees.
Last week, journalists around the world took part in a global day of action in solidarity with the detained group, calling for their release and denouncing what has been described as a "trial of journalism itself."
The court proceedings were adjourned until March 24 to allow more witnesses to be heard in the case.
"Mohamed, Peter, and Baher are world-class journalists, and were simply doing the job - of journalism - covering and challenging all sides of the story in Egypt," Al Anstey, managing director of Al Jazeera English, said. "To continue to keep them behind bars after such a long time in detention is simply outrageous, so we continue to call for their immediate release."
Three of the defendants--Al Jazeera correspondent Peter Greste, Egypt bureau chief Mohamed Fahmy and producer Baher Mohamed--were arrested in their hotel in Cairo on Dec. 29 by Egyptian authorities and accused of spreading false news and belonging to a "terrorist group."
The journalists could face up to 15 years in prison for what many say was the simple act of reporting.
The three pleaded not-guilty in the first day of the hearings last week.
The second day of court proceedings took at "tragicomic turn" Wednesday, the Guardianreports, "as prosecutors presented box after box of everyday items and broadcast equipment as evidence of the defendants' alleged terrorism - many of them as innocuous as electric cables, a computer keyboard, and a bumbag belonging to Peter Greste."
At one point the defendants banged their handcuffs on the cage inside the courtroom they were held in. "Journalists are not terrorists," defendant Baher Mohamed shouted.
"I've been a journalist for 12 years," said Fahmy. "I covered the Syrian and Egyptian revolutions. No one ever said that I was dishonorable. It's impossible that I would ever betray my country."
In total, 20 journalists are currently on trial. Twelve of them are being tried in absentia. Nine are Al Jazeera employees.
Last week, journalists around the world took part in a global day of action in solidarity with the detained group, calling for their release and denouncing what has been described as a "trial of journalism itself."
The court proceedings were adjourned until March 24 to allow more witnesses to be heard in the case.
"Mohamed, Peter, and Baher are world-class journalists, and were simply doing the job - of journalism - covering and challenging all sides of the story in Egypt," Al Anstey, managing director of Al Jazeera English, said. "To continue to keep them behind bars after such a long time in detention is simply outrageous, so we continue to call for their immediate release."