

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.

These new revelations follow months of claims by the Christie administration that the September closures of local access lanes on the George Washington Bridge to the town of Fort Lee, NJ were part of a traffic study initiated by the Port Authority and not related to his office.
But as the Record reports, new evidence shows that one of his top staff members may have been deeply and directly involved:
"Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee," Bridget Anne Kelly, one of three deputies on Christie's senior staff, wrote to David Wildstein, a top Christie executive at the Port Authority, on Aug. 13, about three weeks before the closures. Wildstein, the official who ordered the closures and who resigned last month amid the escalating scandal, wrote back: "Got it."
The emails were dated shortly after Fort Lee's mayor, Democrat Mark Sokolich, had declined to endorse Christie's reelection bid. According to the report, the documents "don't spell out the precise reason for the apparent retribution" though they are "replete with references and insults to Fort Lee's mayor."

The Record continues:
Other top Christie associates mentioned in or copied on the email chain, all after the top New York appointee at the authority ordered the lanes reopened, include David Samson, the chairman of the agency; Bill Stepien, Christie's re-election campaign manager and the newly appointed state GOP chairman; and Michael Drewniak, Christie's spokesman.
Christie has previously said that no one in his staff or campaign was involved in the lane closings, and he has dismissed questions about political retribution by joking that he moved the traffic cones himself.
The emails were provided by Wildstein in response to a state assembly subpoena and he has been called to testify about the documents under oath before the panel on Thursday of this week.
Following the release, a furor of media speculation ensued as to the damage this scandal may pose to the lawmaker, who has emerged as a frontrunner for the Republican nomination for president in 2016.
As New York Magazine columnist Jonathan Chait tweeted after the news broke:
_____________________
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |

These new revelations follow months of claims by the Christie administration that the September closures of local access lanes on the George Washington Bridge to the town of Fort Lee, NJ were part of a traffic study initiated by the Port Authority and not related to his office.
But as the Record reports, new evidence shows that one of his top staff members may have been deeply and directly involved:
"Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee," Bridget Anne Kelly, one of three deputies on Christie's senior staff, wrote to David Wildstein, a top Christie executive at the Port Authority, on Aug. 13, about three weeks before the closures. Wildstein, the official who ordered the closures and who resigned last month amid the escalating scandal, wrote back: "Got it."
The emails were dated shortly after Fort Lee's mayor, Democrat Mark Sokolich, had declined to endorse Christie's reelection bid. According to the report, the documents "don't spell out the precise reason for the apparent retribution" though they are "replete with references and insults to Fort Lee's mayor."

The Record continues:
Other top Christie associates mentioned in or copied on the email chain, all after the top New York appointee at the authority ordered the lanes reopened, include David Samson, the chairman of the agency; Bill Stepien, Christie's re-election campaign manager and the newly appointed state GOP chairman; and Michael Drewniak, Christie's spokesman.
Christie has previously said that no one in his staff or campaign was involved in the lane closings, and he has dismissed questions about political retribution by joking that he moved the traffic cones himself.
The emails were provided by Wildstein in response to a state assembly subpoena and he has been called to testify about the documents under oath before the panel on Thursday of this week.
Following the release, a furor of media speculation ensued as to the damage this scandal may pose to the lawmaker, who has emerged as a frontrunner for the Republican nomination for president in 2016.
As New York Magazine columnist Jonathan Chait tweeted after the news broke:
_____________________

These new revelations follow months of claims by the Christie administration that the September closures of local access lanes on the George Washington Bridge to the town of Fort Lee, NJ were part of a traffic study initiated by the Port Authority and not related to his office.
But as the Record reports, new evidence shows that one of his top staff members may have been deeply and directly involved:
"Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee," Bridget Anne Kelly, one of three deputies on Christie's senior staff, wrote to David Wildstein, a top Christie executive at the Port Authority, on Aug. 13, about three weeks before the closures. Wildstein, the official who ordered the closures and who resigned last month amid the escalating scandal, wrote back: "Got it."
The emails were dated shortly after Fort Lee's mayor, Democrat Mark Sokolich, had declined to endorse Christie's reelection bid. According to the report, the documents "don't spell out the precise reason for the apparent retribution" though they are "replete with references and insults to Fort Lee's mayor."

The Record continues:
Other top Christie associates mentioned in or copied on the email chain, all after the top New York appointee at the authority ordered the lanes reopened, include David Samson, the chairman of the agency; Bill Stepien, Christie's re-election campaign manager and the newly appointed state GOP chairman; and Michael Drewniak, Christie's spokesman.
Christie has previously said that no one in his staff or campaign was involved in the lane closings, and he has dismissed questions about political retribution by joking that he moved the traffic cones himself.
The emails were provided by Wildstein in response to a state assembly subpoena and he has been called to testify about the documents under oath before the panel on Thursday of this week.
Following the release, a furor of media speculation ensued as to the damage this scandal may pose to the lawmaker, who has emerged as a frontrunner for the Republican nomination for president in 2016.
As New York Magazine columnist Jonathan Chait tweeted after the news broke:
_____________________