

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
It's been almost four years since the cholera outbreak began in Haiti following the disastrous earthquake.
Since then, the disease--brought to the Caribbean nation by United Nations troops from Nepal--has claimed the lives of over 8,500 Haitians and sickened over 700,000.
Yet the UN has continued to evade responsibility for the deadly outbreak, and victims have spent years seeking legal redress, including filing a class action lawsuit in federal court in the Southern District of New York demanding UN compensation for the disease that continues its grip on the country. UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon was personally served court papers in June.
The outbreak, the suit charges, "resulted from the negligent, reckless, and tortious conduct of the Defendants: the United Nations ("UN"); its subsidiary, the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti ("MINUSTAH"); and at least two of their officers." The defendants have a legal obligation to provide redress, the suit says. The United States, however, submitted to U.S. District Judge J. Paul Oetken in March a filing in support of the UN, stating that the body "enjoys absolute immunity."
But the victims' journey towards justice took a positive step on Tuesday when Judge Oetken granted oral argument in the case. The court date is set for Oct. 23 in New York.
Haiti justice advocates are welcoming the development.
Brian Concannon, Executive Director of the Institute for Justice & Democracy in Haiti (IJDH), stated, "The Court's decision to call a hearing shows that it is taking a serious look at the UN'sinternational law obligation to provide victims justice, as a precondition for asserting immunity. The hearing is also an excellent opportunity for discussing the UN's compliance with its obligations, both in court and without."
"It's been nearly 4 years since the UN introduced cholera to Haiti and at long last it seems the hundreds of thousands of victims will get their day in court," stated Jake Johnston, Research Associate with the Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR). "It's time for the UN to fully accept its responsibility and redouble efforts to eradicate the disease before there are even more unnecessary deaths."
According to calculations by CEPR's Haiti Relief and Reconstruction Watch, it has been 1444 days since cholera was introduced to Haiti without any apology from the UN.
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
It's been almost four years since the cholera outbreak began in Haiti following the disastrous earthquake.
Since then, the disease--brought to the Caribbean nation by United Nations troops from Nepal--has claimed the lives of over 8,500 Haitians and sickened over 700,000.
Yet the UN has continued to evade responsibility for the deadly outbreak, and victims have spent years seeking legal redress, including filing a class action lawsuit in federal court in the Southern District of New York demanding UN compensation for the disease that continues its grip on the country. UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon was personally served court papers in June.
The outbreak, the suit charges, "resulted from the negligent, reckless, and tortious conduct of the Defendants: the United Nations ("UN"); its subsidiary, the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti ("MINUSTAH"); and at least two of their officers." The defendants have a legal obligation to provide redress, the suit says. The United States, however, submitted to U.S. District Judge J. Paul Oetken in March a filing in support of the UN, stating that the body "enjoys absolute immunity."
But the victims' journey towards justice took a positive step on Tuesday when Judge Oetken granted oral argument in the case. The court date is set for Oct. 23 in New York.
Haiti justice advocates are welcoming the development.
Brian Concannon, Executive Director of the Institute for Justice & Democracy in Haiti (IJDH), stated, "The Court's decision to call a hearing shows that it is taking a serious look at the UN'sinternational law obligation to provide victims justice, as a precondition for asserting immunity. The hearing is also an excellent opportunity for discussing the UN's compliance with its obligations, both in court and without."
"It's been nearly 4 years since the UN introduced cholera to Haiti and at long last it seems the hundreds of thousands of victims will get their day in court," stated Jake Johnston, Research Associate with the Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR). "It's time for the UN to fully accept its responsibility and redouble efforts to eradicate the disease before there are even more unnecessary deaths."
According to calculations by CEPR's Haiti Relief and Reconstruction Watch, it has been 1444 days since cholera was introduced to Haiti without any apology from the UN.
It's been almost four years since the cholera outbreak began in Haiti following the disastrous earthquake.
Since then, the disease--brought to the Caribbean nation by United Nations troops from Nepal--has claimed the lives of over 8,500 Haitians and sickened over 700,000.
Yet the UN has continued to evade responsibility for the deadly outbreak, and victims have spent years seeking legal redress, including filing a class action lawsuit in federal court in the Southern District of New York demanding UN compensation for the disease that continues its grip on the country. UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon was personally served court papers in June.
The outbreak, the suit charges, "resulted from the negligent, reckless, and tortious conduct of the Defendants: the United Nations ("UN"); its subsidiary, the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti ("MINUSTAH"); and at least two of their officers." The defendants have a legal obligation to provide redress, the suit says. The United States, however, submitted to U.S. District Judge J. Paul Oetken in March a filing in support of the UN, stating that the body "enjoys absolute immunity."
But the victims' journey towards justice took a positive step on Tuesday when Judge Oetken granted oral argument in the case. The court date is set for Oct. 23 in New York.
Haiti justice advocates are welcoming the development.
Brian Concannon, Executive Director of the Institute for Justice & Democracy in Haiti (IJDH), stated, "The Court's decision to call a hearing shows that it is taking a serious look at the UN'sinternational law obligation to provide victims justice, as a precondition for asserting immunity. The hearing is also an excellent opportunity for discussing the UN's compliance with its obligations, both in court and without."
"It's been nearly 4 years since the UN introduced cholera to Haiti and at long last it seems the hundreds of thousands of victims will get their day in court," stated Jake Johnston, Research Associate with the Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR). "It's time for the UN to fully accept its responsibility and redouble efforts to eradicate the disease before there are even more unnecessary deaths."
According to calculations by CEPR's Haiti Relief and Reconstruction Watch, it has been 1444 days since cholera was introduced to Haiti without any apology from the UN.