All Views Articles for 2017-11-10

Friday, November 10, 2017
All the Cubans we talked to thought the sonic attack was a bunch of baloney. From taxi drivers to government officials to dissidents, Cubans told our group that the whole episode was concocted to justify turning back the clock on Obama’s détente with Cuba. Medea Benjamin
While Clinching Deals With Communist China, Trump Cracks Down on Trade and Travel to Cuba
"Our failed embargo against Cuba has been repeatedly and publicly condemned by the international community as ineffective and harmful to the people of Cuba."
Read more
Vanessa Van Doren, George Karandinos, Nikhil Krishan, & Gloria Tavera
Holding Our Institutions Accountable: Lessons from the Medical Student Campaign to Divest from Trump’s Mar-a-Lago
How one successful campaign to hold the Trump administration to account hopes to inform and inspire others
Read more
The bomb disposal team of the Afghan Army 215 Corps neutralizes an IED in Sangin, Helmand. Paul Rogers
Remote War And Public Air
The CIA's military role in the Afghan morass shows the need for open democracy in an age of hidden violence.
Read more
"The most important lesson of all, however, may be to recognize what undergirded the hunter-gatherers’ resistance to an upstart in the first place: a shared set of values based in a deep sense of fairness and human dignity." Jeremy Lent
Resisting Trump? Five Tips from the Hunter-Gatherer Playbook
Our egalitarian hunter-gatherer ancestors developed sophisticated social technologies for keeping upstarts in check. What can the popular resistance movement learn from them in confronting the worst excesses of Donald Trump?
Read more
Juan Cole
Top 5 reasons Roy Moore Could Still Win, Despite Sexual Assault Allegations
The new charges will unseat him. Won't they?
Read more
Protesters walk during the Women's March on Washington, with the U.S. Capitol in the background, on January 21, 2017 in Washington, DC. Alex Press
The Left Needs To Confront Its Own Sexual Assault Problem
Our movements will never win as long as many of us are unsafe.
Read more
Patrick D. Jones
Expanding the Circle of Honor on Veterans Day
Civil rights veterans have undoubtedly played a critical role in defining and defending our liberty and expanding American democracy, often at tremendous sacrifice.
Read more
"To put that $4.4 million tax cut in perspective, it’s about the same as the cost of Pell Grants for 1,100 low- and moderate-income students to help them afford college." Chye-Ching Huang
Doubling Estate Tax Exemption Would Give Windfall to Heirs of Wealthiest Estates
Even today, only the largest 0.2 percent estates face the tax; the other 99.8 percent face no estate tax at all.
Read more
Nov. 8, 2017 cover of the Swedish newspaper Svenska Dagbladet. Christian Christensen
The #MeToo Movement in Sweden Shows Why We Need Feminism More Than Ever.
Tracing the worldwide 'Weinstein Effect' and why there is no more fundamental issue for a democratic society than the ability of citizens to go about their daily lives without fear of harassment, assault or worse.
Read more
Steven Singer
Making Puerto Rico the New New Orleans – Steal the Schools and Give Them to Big Business to Run For Profit
Celebrating teachers who refuse to back down despite the forces of prejudice and commerce stacked against them
Read more