Common Dreams—an independent and progressive U.S.-based news, opinion, and analysis publication with a global online audience—is seeking an experienced journalist on a contract basis to join our fast-paced newsroom to help report on the coronavirus pandemic, the ensuing economic fallout, and the broader set of crucial political issues and current events we cover.
Though a contract (and remote) position, this could be a great way to get your foot in the door with our team. During these tumultuous times, as we keep our readers informed of the shifting terrain each day and stay abreast of the dynamics shaping what comes next, we are looking for an exceptional reporter and writer to keep pace with the furious demands.
Position includes helping to drive all aspects of daily news operation, including news selection, pitching story ideas, cultivating contacts and sources, editing and fact-checking, and working closely with our small editorial team to maintain the site.
With very little landing room, ideal candidate is someone who can hit the ground running—well-versed in progressive politics and familiar with our brand and style of reporting on the crucial issues of the day, including the current Covid-19 outbreak, the 2020 election, the policy and economic battles surrounding the government response to the economic crisis, and a big-picture view of how all of this fits into both domestic and global current affairs.
While our full-time staff normally work in-house from our Portland, Maine newsroom and offices — we are currently considering applicants for this position to join us remotely during our East Coast work day schedule (generally 8am to 5pm ET). If this was to develop into a permanent position, relocation to the area would be required. Initial contract period is open to negotiation and dependent on real world developments, but likely would run on a monthly or bi-monthly basis. Position open until filled.
- Meticulously follow breaking news and developing stories in U.S. and globally;
- Scan domestic and international sources for trends, developing stories, and sharp perspectives on current events;
- Generate, pitch, and assign compelling story ideas for daily editorial meetings;
- Research, report, and write news articles, summaries, and bulletins;
- Work closely with newsroom colleagues to edit and otherwise collaborate on reporting and story development;
- Foster professional, respectful, and engaged newsroom culture (even while operating remotely) that allows for individual growth and collective success
- Learn and maintain editorial standards for all sections and aspects of the site
- Save the world
Ideal candidate has:
- Passion for progressive politics and independent journalism;
- At least 4-7 years of newsroom and reporting experience;
- Strong professional skill set with a proven record of quality reporting/journalism;
- A unique ability to straddle the progressive mission of our organization with the intense demands of the current era’s rapid news cycle;
- Commitment to social justice, a better world, and the stated mission of Common Dreams;
- Determination to foster a healthy, inclusive, and tolerant work environment;
- Strong background and broad understanding of U.S. politics, international relations, and key global issues from progressive perspective;
- A developed sense of purpose coupled with a durable sense of humor;
- Solid proficiency with online publishing platforms and tools (CMS, html, Drupal, Wordpress, editing software, etc);
- Highly adept social media skills and ability to tell, share, and promote stories on multiple channels;
- Ability to work some evenings and occasional weekends. Details of schedule and calendar would be stipulation(s) of contract.
Contract compensation for the period to be determined will be based on experience and also fall in line with our current salary structure. For full-time employees, Common Dreams provides a generous benefits package that includes health care, paid holidays and vacation, sick days, and parental/family leave. Part-time benefits to be stipulated by contract.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer—conforming to the spirit as well as letter of the law in our hiring—and celebrate the value of diversity in all its forms. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, people from working-class backgrounds, people with disabilities, LGBTQ people, and others belonging to marginalized communities.
Using subject line that says "Staff Writer Position / YOUR NAME" please send resume, no more than three relevant writing samples, and appropriate cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, no calls.
About Common Dreams
Common Dreams has been providing breaking news & views for the progressive community since 1997. We are independent, non-profit, ad-free and nearly 100% reader-supported. Our mission: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good.