EMAIL SIGN UP!
The press releases posted here have been submitted by
For further information or to comment on this press release, please contact the organization directly.
Most Popular This Week
- US Is an Oligarchy Not a Democracy, says Scientific Study
- DOJ Investigation Confirms: Albuquerque Police 'Executing' Citizens
- What Do the Koch Brothers Really Want?
- Tutu: Climate Crisis Demands 'Anti-Apartheid-Style Boycott' of Fossil Fuel Industry
- Pulitzer Vindicates: Snowden Journalists Win Top Honor
Today's Top News
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
New Report from NARAL Pro-Choice America Details State-by-State Status of Women’s Reproductive Rights in the U.S., Highlights Winning Agenda for 2014
In 2013, 24 States Passed 53 Anti-Choice Measures, Compared to 10 States that Enacted 16 Pro-Choice Measures
WASHINGTON - January 14 - Today, NARAL Pro-Choice America and NARAL Pro-Choice America Foundation released the 23rd edition of Who Decides? The Status of Women’s Reproductive Rights in the United States. The report, published each year, provides individual letter grades on the status of women’s reproductive rights for all 50 states and provides a comprehensive view of choice-related legislation and court decisions in those states. This year’s report also includes a new section on the status of anti-choice crisis pregnancy centers in the states.
The report documents the 24 states that passed 53 anti-choice measures in 2013 - while at the same time highlighting the 10 states that enacted 16 pro-choice measures last year.
To read the full report, go to: http://www.prochoiceamerica.org/assets/download-files/2014-who-decides.pdf
“The anti-choice War on Women did not slow down in 2013 and we are certain that radical right-wing politicians will only ramp up their attacks on women in 2014 as the midterm elections approach,” explained Ilyse Hogue, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America. “In 2014, NARAL Pro-Choice America is as committed as ever to stopping the opponents of a woman’s right to choose everywhere they pick a fight, but we’re not just playing defense anymore: we’ll work just as hard to expand our freedoms, so that every woman has not just the right, but the opportunity to make whatever choice is right for her.”
In total, 24 states—AK, MT, ND, SD, CO, KS, OK. TX, IA, MO, AR, LA, WI, MI, IN, OH, PA, VA, NC, SC, GA, AL, MS—passed 53 anti-choice measures. The four primary types of laws restricting reproductive freedom included:
- Banning abortion at different stages of pregnancy;
- Banning insurance coverage of abortion;
- Restricting abortion providers to close them down;
- Helping anti-choice fake clinics called crisis pregnancy centers.
But the tide is turning, as elected officials like Texas State Senator Wendy Davis and Michigan State Senator Gretchen Whitmer took strong public stands to protect reproductive freedom. Ten states—AL, CA, CO, HI, IL, NH, TX, VA, VT, and WV—enacted a total of 15 pro-choice measures (twice as many as last year), fighting back against anti-choice extremists. In particular:
- California expanded abortion access by letting qualified medical professionals like midwives and nurse practitioners provide early abortion care;
- Illinois replaced it’s abstinence only” sex education curriculum;
- Vermont passed a new law to promote and protecting healthy childbearing;
- Portland, ME approved a proposal to put a buffer zone around an abortion provider;
- Albuquerque, NM rejected—by a 10 point margin—a local ballot initiative that would have banned abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy.
States to watch for advancements in the fight to protect reproductive rights in 2014 include: CA, CO, CT HI, MA, OR, VT, along with Washington, DC. Meanwhile, NY, PA, and VA have all made moves to advance a women’s agenda in 2014.
NARAL Pro-Choice America also released its annual Congressional Record on Choice, which grades individual members of Congress on their voting records on issues concerning women’s reproductive freedoms.
To see the full Congressional Record on Choice, go to: http://www.prochoiceamerica.org/assets/download-files/2013-congressional...
For interviews with NARAL Pro-Choice America, please contact Brett Abrams at 516-841-1105 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
VIEW THE REPORT CARD: http://www.prochoiceamerica.org/assets/download-files/2013-wd-report-car...