The press releases posted here have been submitted by
For further information or to comment on this press release, please contact the organization directly.
Most Popular This Week
- Members of Congress Declare "Immunity" from Insider Trading Probe
- Afraid to Stoke Populist Ire, Obama Abandons 'Inequality' Rhetoric
- Supreme Court's Women in Scathing Dissent on Contraception Ruling
- NSA 'Bombshell': Agency Spied on Prominent American Citizens
- Unpatriotic US Corporations Becoming Hot Political Issue That Unites Right and Left
Today's Top News
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Federal Judge Says OH Must Recognize Out-of-State Marriages for Same-Sex Couples
Ruling Narrowly Focused on Death Certificates
CINCINNATI - December 23 - Today a federal district judge ruled that Ohio officials must recognize the marriages of same-sex couples who married out of state, for the purposes of being listed as married on death certificates.
Marc Solomon, national campaign director of Freedom to Marry, released the following statement:
“Today’s ruling in federal district court in Ohio powerfully affirms the principle that states cannot pick and choose which legal marriages legally are honored and respected. While this ruling only applies to death certificates in Ohio, it’s a strong demonstration that a marriage patchwork is unsustainable and that the freedom to marry must be affirmed nationwide, as soon as possible.”
Of note, this ruling references Justice Antonin Scalia's dissent in the WIndsor ruling striking down DOMA, as did last week's Utah district court decision guaranteeing the freedom to marry.