The press releases posted here have been submitted by
For further information or to comment on this press release, please contact the organization directly.
Most Popular This Week
- Members of Congress Declare "Immunity" from Insider Trading Probe
- Hillary Clinton Goes to Bat for GMOs at Biotech Conference
- Afraid to Stoke Populist Ire, Obama Abandons 'Inequality' Rhetoric
- Supreme Court's Women in Scathing Dissent on Contraception Ruling
- Revealed: 'Collect It All' NSA Targets Those Seeking Web Privacy
Today's Top News
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Grounded Drill Rig Freed, but Shell's Reputation in Tatters
WASHINGTON - January 7 - In response to news that Shell's grounded drill rig Kulluk is being towed away from where it was grounded on Dec. 31, Greenpeace Arctic campaigner Ben Ayliffe made the following statement:
"The battered rig may finally be free, but after this latest fiasco Shell's reputation is in tatters. The time has come for the US government to act. It is now patently clear that it is impossible to drill for oil safely in the Arctic. President Obama must step in and rewrite his policy on the frozen north to stop one of these near misses becoming a major environmental disaster in one of the planet’s most delicate ecosystems.
"The Kulluk incident has raised many glaring safety issues and serious questions must be asked of Shell's decision-making. Investors will be watching this latest mishap and asking how much longer Shell can persevere with a multi-billion dollar Arctic drilling programme that has been characterised by one glaring operational blunder after another."