EMAIL SIGN UP!
The press releases posted here have been submitted by
For further information or to comment on this press release, please contact the organization directly.
Most Popular This Week
- What the US Media Won't Tell You About Ukraine
- Heard the One About Obama Denouncing a Breach of International Law?
- Bernie Sanders: 'I Am Prepared to Run for President of the United States'
- New England on 'High Alert' After Canadian Pipeline Reversal Approved
- Hundreds of Students Arrested Demanding Climate Action
Today's Top News
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PFAW Commends Ninth Circuit Ruling on Prop 8
WASHINGTON - February 7 - The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals today upheld the district court decision striking down California’s Proposition 8, which bans marriage equality in the state. Michael Keegan, president of People For the American Way, issued the following statement in response:
“Today’s ruling is a major victory for equality and for the thousands of California couples who saw their marriage rights disappear four years ago.
“Proposition 8 hurt Californians. It took away the freedom of committed couples to legally marry, to raise children in security, to visit each other in the hospital and to provide for each other in old age. It hurt gay and lesbian Californians, and it hurt their friends and families. Proposition 8 wasn’t just unconstitutional – it was simply wrong.