The press releases posted here have been submitted by
For further information or to comment on this press release, please contact the organization directly.
Most Popular This Week
- Members of Congress Declare "Immunity" from Insider Trading Probe
- Afraid to Stoke Populist Ire, Obama Abandons 'Inequality' Rhetoric
- Supreme Court's Women in Scathing Dissent on Contraception Ruling
- NSA 'Bombshell': Agency Spied on Prominent American Citizens
- Unpatriotic US Corporations Becoming Hot Political Issue That Unites Right and Left
Today's Top News
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Supreme Court Case Highlights EPA Role in Carbon Pollution Protection
WASHINGTON - June 20 - A Supreme Court decision today confirmed the Environmental Protection Agency’s vital role in protecting against dangerous carbon pollution.
David Doniger, policy director of the Climate Center at the Natural Resources Defense Council, made the following statement:
"Today's ruling reaffirms the Environmental Protection Agency's duty under the nation’s 40-year-old Clean Air Act to safeguard public health and welfare from dangerous carbon pollution. Now the EPA must act without delay.”
"Power plants are the nation’s biggest polluters, pumping more than two billion tons of carbon dioxide pollution into the air each year. Their pollution is driving dangerous heat waves and smog, stronger storms, floods, and droughts, and many other threats to our health and safety and our homes and communities."
Doniger, an NRDC attorney who helped represent three land conservation trusts that joined the states in bringing this case, provides more background information in his blog: http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/ddoniger/supreme_court_climate_decision.html.