EMAIL SIGN UP!
The press releases posted here have been submitted by
For further information or to comment on this press release, please contact the organization directly.
Most Popular This Week
- US Is an Oligarchy Not a Democracy, says Scientific Study
- DOJ Investigation Confirms: Albuquerque Police 'Executing' Citizens
- Krugman: Worried About Oligarchy? You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet
- Pulitzer Vindicates: Snowden Journalists Win Top Honor
- Study: Fracking Emissions Up To 1000x Higher Than EPA Estimates
Today's Top News
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Common Cause
Mary Boyle, (202) 736-5770
Statement by Bob Edgar on Today’s House Oversight Committee Hearing
WASHINGTON - April 14 - The “tough choices ahead” for state and local governments that are the focus of a hearing today in the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee deserve the best thinking of our smartest economists, administrators and elected officials.
Unfortunately, committee Chairman Darrell Issa, R-Ca., has opted to lead an exercise in political posturing rather than a serious examination of the problem. Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, the lead witness at today’s hearing, forced his state into tough but false choices, engineering $140 million in tax giveways for his corporate supporters which he then “offset” by stripping away the bargaining rights of public employees.
Today’s hearing involves neither oversight nor reform. Everyone involved in it must surely have better things to do.