The press releases posted here have been submitted by
For further information or to comment on this press release, please contact the organization directly.
Most Popular This Week
- Members of Congress Declare "Immunity" from Insider Trading Probe
- Afraid to Stoke Populist Ire, Obama Abandons 'Inequality' Rhetoric
- Supreme Court's Women in Scathing Dissent on Contraception Ruling
- NSA 'Bombshell': Agency Spied on Prominent American Citizens
- Unpatriotic US Corporations Becoming Hot Political Issue That Unites Right and Left
Today's Top News
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Center for Constitutional Rights
First Guantánamo Detainee Before Inter-American Commission on Human Rights Given Hearing Today
Attorneys from CCR and CEJIL Say Djamel Ameziane is an Excellent Candidate for Resettlement
WASHINGTON - October 29 - Today, Mr. Djamel Ameziane, the first individual detained at Guantánamo to file a petition with the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights, was granted a hearing to determine whether his petition will be heard by the international body. Mr. Ameziane filed his petition with the Commission in August 2008 to challenge his years-long detention without charge at Guantánamo and his risk of forcible repatriation to his native Algeria, where he fears persecution and torture. While the Commission promptly issued urgent protective measures to prevent his transfer from Guantánamo to any country where he would likely face persecution or torture, Mr. Ameziane remains at risk. Mr. Ameziane’s indefinite detention and risk of transfer to torture will end only when a third country comes forward to offer him a safe haven.