The press releases posted here have been submitted by
For further information or to comment on this press release, please contact the organization directly.
Most Popular This Week
- Members of Congress Declare "Immunity" from Insider Trading Probe
- Hillary Clinton Goes to Bat for GMOs at Biotech Conference
- Afraid to Stoke Populist Ire, Obama Abandons 'Inequality' Rhetoric
- Supreme Court's Women in Scathing Dissent on Contraception Ruling
- Revealed: 'Collect It All' NSA Targets Those Seeking Web Privacy
Today's Top News
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Common Cause
Mary Boyle (202)736-5770
Common Cause Applauds Senate Panel's Passage of DC Voting Rights Bill
WASHINGTON - February 11 - Common Cause applauds the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee for its overwhelming vote today in passing the DC House Voting Rights Act, giving representation in the U.S. House to the District of Columbia.
"This vote, on the eve of Abraham Lincoln's birthday, affirms our nation's commitment to democracy and the rights of all Americans," said Bob Edgar, president of Common Cause. "The Senate should not let the threats of a filibuster stand in the way of moving swiftly to a floor vote, ending taxation without representation in our nation's capital."
The bill, the DC House Voting Rights (S. 160) passed the committee with a bipartisan vote of 11 to 1, with the leadership of Senator Joe Lieberman (I-CT) and including the support of Republican Senators Susan Collins (ME) and George Voinovich (OH). Arizona Senator John McCain (R) was the sole opposing vote.